The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheUnbeliever
Who the hell starts playing loud music and ??? what sounds like someone speaking on a microphone at 1 in the morning? I'd swear someone had opened a jazz bar.

:sigh: Where is this?

BTW does anybody know what the new club on Mill lane is? Seems like I left Peterhouse in good time.
Original post by Craghyrax
:sigh: Where is this?

Queens'

I'm realizing I moan about noise a lot on here, at least this year :p:
Queens'

I'm realizing I moan about noise a lot on here, at least this year :p:

Its the same one!!!
They've just opened something up horrid in that passage between Silver Street and Mill lane :yucky:

And you can't beat my record for moaning about noise.
Original post by Craghyrax
Its the same one!!!
They've just opened something up horrid in that passage between Silver Street and Mill lane
:yucky:

Oh :rofl: Sorry, I wasn't being literal - it's someone in an adjacent room playing something like a recorded jazz set or comedian or something at a ludicrous volume. I have heard that place walking past in the evenings, though. It's pretty obnoxious, but not nearly loud enough to bother me here.

And you can't beat my record for moaning about noise.

This is true :p:
Oh :rofl: Sorry, I wasn't being literal - it's someone in an adjacent room playing something like a recorded jazz set or comedian or something at a ludicrous volume. I have heard that place walking past in the evenings, though. It's pretty obnoxious, but not nearly loud enough to bother me here.

Oh ok. Yeh its presumably fine from Cripps court, but if any academics live in Old or Tudor? court, they must be pretty miffed.
Original post by ukebert
Don't listen to Craggy, it doesn't :smile: It's rare that I put a sweatshirt on in Cambridge, although I usually go out with a jacket. I do sometimes wear a sweatshirt in deepest winter, when there is snow on the ground, but otherwise it's nice and mild.

Don't listen to ukebert. :nah: Craggy and Athena are right - it really does get quite cold in Cambridge. :yes:
Cambridge was really cold last December.
Cambridge does get really cold. I think the worst thing is the wind - when you're cycling it really bites at your face and hands. At the worst points I would wear a hat under my helmet to protect my ears and two pairs of gloves to stop my fingers from freezing down Huntingdon road.
Reply 1968
Original post by Slumpy
I'm English, and never found Cambridge at all cold:p:
Normally considered a bit odd though...

Packing wise, I always did it the night before, never really had too many troubles!

No no you ARE odd. Crazy crazy boy.

That said I don't find Cambridge that cold but I'm generally a very warm person.

OMG I bet I have great-grandchildren by now!!! I'm SO SO SO excited!!!!

sonofdot

:poke: Oi! Where have you gone! Tea party in your room on the first day back? Yes?
Original post by nadz123456
Thanks!
Going on that description, 'strange hat/accident-prone' I'm assuming you're going to be pretty hard to miss:smile:. Third year eh? So 'Tortious' was right, you are old enough to be my grandmother:tongue:...

On a more general note and do forgive me for my naivety, how intense is the first year at Cambride, I mean is it straight into the deep end from the first week or is it a little bit more gradual? I don't mind either way, just a little curious.

Look forward to meeting you in person soon lool:biggrin:

I'll probably be easier to miss in subject drinks :smile: Ah well, I'll be the one from Wales in that case. Unless there's now a fresher from Wales in which case, sorry :smile:

It's a bit of a mix to be honest. The first year is the easiest of all 3, mainly due to the fact you only do 4 subjects and one of those - Civil Law I - has a relatively light workload. You do get thrown into the deep end a bit - you have intro lectures to studying law at the very beginning, otherwise you're meant to pick it up as you go along. But all the supervisors are concious that you've just started so will mark with that in mind and give very helpful advice :smile:

Also, the DoS last year did a few weeks of intro sessions for our freshers. I don't know if it helped them or not though :tongue:

I've also discovered that there's a Christ's College Law Page :lolwut: Feel free to join if you haven't already - Christ's Law. There is also a group but it's closed. Still, having just glanced, the new admin seems to be getting freshers from somewhere so maybe you're friends with him?
Huh, we have a website now as well! Hmm, I think this is what our law soc was supposed to do this year but none of us managed it. Guess matters were taken out of our hands then :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
x

I saw somewhere that you were underage at the beginning of uni at Cambridge. Did you get around some of the restrictions, or did they not ID in some places? I'm going to turn 17 just after the start of term, and it'd be pretty annoying if I couldn't get served or even get in anywhere. :tongue:
Reply 1971
Is the boatie thread still around btw? I was hoping to spam it up with novice FAQs, but I can't find it...?
(would post them here but I know it aggravates non-rowers)
Original post by Melanie-v
I saw somewhere that you were underage at the beginning of uni at Cambridge. Did you get around some of the restrictions, or did they not ID in some places? I'm going to turn 17 just after the start of term, and it'd be pretty annoying if I couldn't get served or even get in anywhere. :tongue:

Blaah
:smile:

Soapy Dish
:smile:

I know they both were underage when they started :smile:

And congrats on your awesome college and subject choice! You might even end up my daughter :O
(edited 12 years ago)

I can't be much help, sorry :p: I don't go out much in Cambridge, and didn't bother trying that first couple months. I didn't have any problem with the college bar, though.

Didn't have any problem with pubs and bars in Edinburgh, not that it's of any use to you :p:
(edited 12 years ago)

I was 17 for the first term. My college bar/bops never ID'd, and most other college bars don't (although a few will have pictures and special instructions not to serve under-18 freshers). Some pubs will be fine and some will ID. A lot of fresher's week stuff will head for Spoons and Revs which will nearly always ID on the door, but its pretty easy to borrow someone else's ID so you can join in this stuff.
Original post by Mrs Cullen
Cambridge does get really cold. I think the worst thing is the wind - when you're cycling it really bites at your face and hands. At the worst points I would wear a hat under my helmet to protect my ears and two pairs of gloves to stop my fingers from freezing down Huntingdon road.

My best buy were these gorgeous leather gloves from Gap with fleece in them. At the coldest few days of the year they weren't enough to block out the wind, but at every other point during winter they worked like a charm :love:
Original post by Leipzig
Is the boatie thread still around btw? I was hoping to spam it up with novice FAQs, but I can't find it...?
(would post them here but I know it aggravates non-rowers)

Yes, its in the 'Cambridge colleges and courses' subforum like this one, but it has probably slipped down to page two or three of the forum pages.
For those with bikes:

Is it worth getting a basket? I have a pretty good rucksack and I thought I could use that, but apparently that throws off balance and is not a good idea.
I've just got some caramel waffles from Lidl. They're sooooo goooooood... :cookie:

Piccy

Original post by Topaz_eyes
For those with bikes:

Is it worth getting a basket? I have a pretty good rucksack and I thought I could use that, but apparently that throws off balance and is not a good idea.

It does throw off the balance, but you get used to it. You just have to be careful and not put too many really heavy things. I think wobbling up Castle Hill with a full Sainsburys shop in the basket and in my rucksack wasn't the best idea, but I managed fine that way this year :biggrin:

Apparently racks with baskets feel far better. But they're about three times the price to fit :frown:

Original post by Tortious
I've just got some caramel waffles from Lidl. They're sooooo goooooood... :cookie:

Piccy

Shutupshutupshutupshutup!!!! :pinch:

Crazy woman - I live near Aldi :hmmm:

Latest

Trending

Trending