The Student Room Group

Why is todays music so crap?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Because the overwhelming majority of the public regard music as a lifestyle-accessory rather than something to be cherished. They no more genuinely 'appreciate' Lady Gaga than 'support' Chelsea; they just crave the effortless validation of a collective circle-jerk. Hell, transport these people back in time to an era of flared trousers and they would've pretended to like Sister Sledge, Chic or EWT with equal fervour: just smile, nod, divert your efforts elsewhere, and such moribund, milquetoast morons needn't perturb you anymore.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 181
Original post by Profesh
Because the overwhelming majority of the public regard music as a lifestyle-accessory rather than something to be cherished. They no more genuinely 'appreciate' Lady Gaga than 'support' Chelsea; they just crave the effortless validation of a collective circle-jerk. Hell, transport these people back in time to an era of flared trousers and they would've pretended to like Sister Sledge, Chic or EWT with equal fervour: just smile, nod, divert your efforts elsewhere, and such moribund, milquetoast morons needn't perturb you anymore.

You sound like a spitting dictionary.
Reply 182
Original post by composite
You sound like a spitting dictionary.

Cheers. You sound like someone who had to look-up the word 'dictionary'.
Reply 183
Original post by Profesh
Cheers. You sound like someone who had to look-up the word 'dictionary'.

Aw thanks.
Original post by Profesh

i love justin bieber music even though i get abuse for it DAILY.

well not daily, only when i force people to listen to it...

but that's not for validation... i don't see why you can't like lady gaga because you like the music... just because you don't like something does not mean other people only pretend to like it/trick themselves into thinking they like it for validation and you are somehow enlightened.
Hey OP.

Guess who my favourite artists are?

Justin Bieber, Tinie Tempah, Coldplay, Cheryl Cole, Conor Maynard, Drake, The Script.
I will always prefer music from the 70s/80s to that of today, but that doesn't mean all modern music is rubbish. Far from it. Every single era had "crap" musicians, but the ones that are around today are thrust in our faces all the time whereas those from many years ago are forgotten.
Reply 187
Original post by Bellissima

but that's not for validation... i don't see why you can't like lady gaga because you like the music... just because you don't like something does not mean other people only pretend to like it/trick themselves into thinking they like it for validation and you are somehow enlightened.

Hahah got to hand it to you for having the courage and admitting that! :smile: I personally don't get all the Bieber hatred that goes around. I mean, sure he's a little different and younger than other artists but is that a reason to hate someone with so much passion? I feel sorry for that boy, the amount of vicious abuses and cruel jokes that he gets :frown:

But, to be perfectly honest, recently I've also started to feel that music is getting crappier. There are still good songs, but just fewer and fewer as time passes by. My favorite was the 2000-2009 time, most of my favorite songs came up during that time. Sometimes I feel that a lot of artists today rely on technology to make their music sound good, and maybe that's why for me classical music is still the best. Nothing but the basics to work with, so pure talent and skill were the only things playing for all our classical geniuses!
Reply 188
Original post by saachi
Hahah got to hand it to you for having the courage and admitting that! :smile: I personally don't get all the Bieber hatred that goes around. I mean, sure he's a little different and younger than other artists but is that a reason to hate someone with so much passion? I feel sorry for that boy, the amount of vicious abuses and cruel jokes that he gets :frown:

But, to be perfectly honest, recently I've also started to feel that music is getting crappier. There are still good songs, but just fewer and fewer as time passes by. My favorite was the 2000-2009 time, most of my favorite songs came up during that time. Sometimes I feel that a lot of artists today rely on technology to make their music sound good, and maybe that's why for me classical music is still the best. Nothing but the basics to work with, so pure talent and skill were the only things playing for all our classical geniuses!

A popular refrain among those who expect to be spoon-fed. For your own sake, I implore you to look harder.
Reply 189
Original post by Bellissima

Sister Sledge, Chic and Earth, Wind & Fire are all examples of bands whose music I continue to enjoy, but whose initial popularity so transcended the perceived 'quality' of their music that it could not have been adequately explained in terms of aesthetics, lyricism or artistic merit alone. Likewise, these same fickle parasites now gravitate towards Lady Gaga and her ilk: which isn't to say there's anything inherently 'wrong' with exercising a legitimate preference for Lady Gaga (though I personally deem her contribution to the pantheon of modern music to be quite trivial and undistinguished), but rather that most people are predisposed to like whatever enjoys the most widespread endorsement and approbation irrespective of those characteristics which might be considered particular to a given genre or style.

I'm not decrying your tastes per se much though they might perplex me but simply a lamentable public fixation on zeitgeist to the detriment of any meaningful engagement.
Original post by Profesh
Sister Sledge, Chic and Earth, Wind & Fire are all examples of bands whose music I continue to enjoy, but whose initial popularity so transcended the perceived 'quality' of their music that it could not have been adequately explained in terms of aesthetics, lyricism or artistic merit alone. Likewise, these same fickle parasites now gravitate towards Lady Gaga and her ilk: which isn't to say there's anything inherently 'wrong' with exercising a legitimate preference for Lady Gaga (though I personally deem her contribution to the pantheon of modern music to be quite trivial and undistinguished), but rather that most people are predisposed to like whatever enjoys the most widespread endorsement and approbation irrespective of those characteristics which might be considered particular to a given genre or style.

I'm not decrying your tastes per se much though they might perplex me but simply a lamentable public fixation on zeitgeist to the detriment of any meaningful engagement.

hmm ok... that is fair enough... i think it's more people like it at the time and they do genuinely like it but then they move on to the next one... personally i like most music so i genuinely like JB and lady gaga as i enjoy them but i also enjoy a lot of other music... i don't really care about their contribution because it doesn't matter, it doesn't affect whether i like it.. i appreciate all! except death metal yuck... and also this new bland indie stuff like ben howard, very boring.

Quick Reply

Latest