The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York accommodation/college info and questions 2011/12

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
sloaner
This is what i want to know as well..

Especially since I have to apply tomorrow and I still haven't close to decided what choices to put down :woo:

College spirit is what you make of it :smile: I know people in Alcuin who really cared and loved their college, and people in Derwent who had absolutely nothing to do with it once they'd moved out.
University of York
York
Reply 141
laser
College spirit is what you make of it :smile: I know people in Alcuin who really cared and loved their college, and people in Derwent who had absolutely nothing to do with it once they'd moved out.

Indeed, I'll do my best :] I think I'm going to apply for en-suite, so gonna put James down first, then Alcuin, then maybe Vanbrugh. Doesn't Derwent only have 20 or so en-suites? So putting that down is probably bit pointless.. Vanbrugh as number 3 then.

I guess I should get up early tomorrow to increase my chances..

I hate early starts.
Hi, I just submitted my application for accomodation at York. I chose Alcuin, there wasn't an option for other choices, that was it.

Did anyone else receive there email? and if you did, how did you get on?
and what did you choose?
I've settled on:

1) K Block in Alcuin College.
2) Blocks HJKLM in James College.
or 3) Block D in Langwith College.

Of course, I can't decide until the 20th and I don't think we get to specify Blocks, do we? But those are my choices if we do!
Reply 144
Kris_McGee
I've settled on:

1) K Block in Alcuin College.
2) Blocks HJKLM in James College.
or 3) Block D in Langwith College.

Of course, I can't decide until the 20th and I don't think we get to specify Blocks, do we? But those are my choices if we do!

I think you only get one choice. I applied today and there was no option for preferences. But maybe it's different with those applying on results day since there's way more of them.
Reply 145
*And you don't specify blocks.
sloaner
*And you don't specify blocks.

That's a shame :frown: I spent ages choosing the blocks. I want to be in a flat, not a house and I chose K block in Alcuin as I wanted a long bed. Are these options when you chose your accommodation?
Reply 147
They weren't today.. There were some questions like do you prefer single-gender accommodation, proximity to a shower, not being on the ground floor, do you want a quiet block, oh and are you over 6'3" lol. But other than that there wasn't much else. There's an additional notes bit you could write something in? Ask them to put you in a flat if possible? (ask nicely :smile:)
sloaner
They weren't today.. There were some questions like do you prefer single-gender accommodation, proximity to a shower, not being on the ground floor, do you want a quiet block, oh and are you over 6'3" lol. But other than that there wasn't much else. There's an additional notes bit you could write something in? Ask them to put you in a flat if possible? (ask nicely :smile:)

I'm assuming proximity to a shower equates to an ensuite, yes?

I'm 6"2. :frown: What a shame I'm (possibly) missing out on a long bed by an inch.

Thanks for your help :smile: I'll be sure to ask for a flat as opposed to a house.
Reply 149
I think the shower question was in case you didn't get en-suite but wanted a room right next to a bathroom.

No problem, hope you get what you're hoping for :yes:
Nope, you get a standard or ensuite (or economy in some cases) option in "room type", then I suppose if you choose "standard" it asks about proximity to a shower/bathroom.

...xD Sloaner already answered that though.
Chaiteafairy
Nope, you get a standard or ensuite (or economy in some cases) option in "room type", then I suppose if you choose "standard" it asks about proximity to a shower/bathroom.

...xD Sloaner already answered that though.

lol Thanks for your belated help anyway! :P
I haven't yet received my enrollment pack despite double-checking with York and getting a confirmation that they have received my IB results. Will this delay in enrollment/applying for accomodation make my chance of getting an en-suite in the college I'd prefer pretty much zero?

Also, when did you all receive your York username/email? We need to have that in order to enrol online, right? This unending chain of necessities is freaking me out lol!
Reply 153
heyy.. im n IB student too... they got my results, i still havent got my enrolment pack by mail but they sent me an email yesterday to enrol online and all... only got one option for accomodation though. chose alcuin .. i sont think u shud worry coz they might delay for a while...:smile:
Reply 154
Strange. Applied this morning and discovered I couldn't apply for any 38-week ensuite accommodation except at Goodricke. Just how many ensuite rooms with a 38 let are there?! :lolwut:
Applied for Halifax large en suite.
Reply 156
what??? nahh,,, i applied for alcuin 38 weeks en suite.. but i guess everyone took whats there thats why u cudnt find!:biggrin:
Reply 157
leena1
what??? nahh,,, i applied for alcuin 38 weeks en suite.. but i guess everyone took whats there thats why u cudnt find!:biggrin:

Boo. I had wanted Alcuin. :'( They should have more units for 38weeks let man.

I blame the difference in time zone. Knew I should I just applied 12 midnight here last night. Shame!
Reply 158
tree12
Strange. Applied this morning and discovered I couldn't apply for any 38-week ensuite accommodation except at Goodricke. Just how many ensuite rooms with a 38 let are there?! :lolwut:

Hardly any. Ensuite rooms are wanted for conference guests which are in those 5 weeks over Easter
Reply 159
laser
Hardly any. Ensuite rooms are wanted for conference guests which are in those 5 weeks over Easter

And wanted by people like me. Aye. It's only for 1 year I guess I can live with it. Got allocated to James. Anybody else?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending