The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York accommodation/college info and questions 2011/12

The old accommodation sticky was a bit out-of-date, and although there's lots of good information on accommodation dotted around the forum I thought it'd be good to have it all in a nice new shiny sticky thread where people can learn about the college and accommodation and ask question about anything they're unsure of. I've merged the old accommodation thread into this one (although bear in mind that a lot of the older information is now outdated), and I'll hopefully add more things to the OP within the next few weeks. Please post in here or let me know if you have anything to add :smile:

General stuff

Spoiler

General college info

Spoiler

I've spoilered some information about each college below, including pictures, links and opinions from current and past students.

ALCUIN

Spoiler

DERWENT

Spoiler

GOODRICKE

Spoiler

HALIFAX

Spoiler

JAMES

Spoiler

LANGWITH

Spoiler

VANBRUGH

Spoiler

WENTWORTH

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Most universities have a sticky for accommodation on their forum and I think York should have one too. :biggrin: ...or at least a place where we can discuss it and people can give their opinions. I know there's another thread but it's really old now and disorganised and is just full of random questions... but if this doesn't work I can always have it deleted.

So if any current students could contribute with pictures, advice, opinions, links etc that would be helpful to perspective students that would be much appreciated. :cool:

The University of York

York Accommodation

Yorkpedia on Colleges

Undergraduate Accommodation Guide 2008

York Panoramas

Alcuin College

Derwent College

Goodricke College

Halifax College

James College

Langwith College

Vanbrugh College

Prices: 2008/2009:
Part Session Let - 33 weeks (includes Christmas vacation only) - £3065.37
Whole Session Let - 38 weeks (includes Christmas and Easter vacations)
Single En-suite - £3543.09
Single Standard - £2958.36

All Year Let - 51 weeks (includes Christmas, Easter and Summer vacations)
Single En-suite - £4697.58
Single Standard - £3922.32

(Granted, these prices will probably increase dramatically for next year but it's still pretty cheap)

-Please pm me or whatever with any corrections. :biggrin:

And before any of you say it, I know I'm really bored :tongue:
...And even though picking accommodation doesn't take place till August/September it's nice to be able to look into it now etc
University of York
York
Reply 2
Alcuin College
University Alcuin College Website
JCR Alcuin College Website
College Website on the Uni Website
Facilities:
Reception
Common Room
B. Henry's
Cafe Barista
Laundrette
24 hour portering
BBQ
Available:
Houses of 10 - En-suite
Flats of 5,6,7 and 8 - En-suite
Accessible rooms
Quiet blocks
Single sex blocks (3 female, 1 male)
Pictures:

Kitchen 1
Bedroom 1
http//www.flickr.com/photos/laser2k/115540257/in/set-72157603549062594/"]Quad 1
View 1 View 2
University of York Accommodation Guide:
Alcuin can claim, without fear of challenge, to be the highest college in the University, situated ‘across the road’ from the centre of campus, overlooking the rest of the University and the City of York. It is a quiet but very sociable college with an excellent community spirit. Our College bar, B. Henry’s, is the University’s only cocktail bar and the venue for Alcuin Amplify events, always a sell-out and famous across campus. Along with bar quizzes, coach trips and fancy dress events these are just a taste of theJCR’s vibrant and varied activities programme.
Alcuin College was formally opened in October 1969, the third of the eight colleges at theUniversity. The college is named after Alcuin of York (735-804). Alcuin was an English scholar who was educated at the cathedral school in York, and also taught there from 768. He was invited by Charlemagne to head the Palace School inAachen. Alcuin’s main achievement is probablyhis invention of a script which was adopted widely and served as a model for the Roman and Italic typefaces which have developed to create the modern typefaces with which we are all familiar.
The college has 542 single study bedrooms in 13 blocks or houses. All study bedrooms have en-suite facilities and all the kitchens are well equipped for self-catering. E Block, built in 1987, comprises three houses each with a separate entrance. On the ground floor of each house is a communal kitchen, plus 4 study bedrooms, and on the first and the second floors there are 6 study bedrooms. Blocks F, G, H and J, completed in the year 2000, are arranged in flats each with a communal kitchen. The number of residentsranges from 5 to 8 students per flat. The newestresidences, built in 2006, are blocks K, L, M, N,P and Q. The study bedrooms in these blocks are arranged in two flats of 6 study bedroomsper floor, the 12 residents sharing one largecommunal kitchen per floor.

Info and opinions from Students:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 3
Derwent College
University Derwent College Website
JCR Derwent College Website
Facilities:
Reception
Common Room
Doodles (Cafe/Bar)
Computer Rooms
Reading Room
Laundrette

Events:
Derwent JCRC organise the event 'Club D' three times a term. 'Big D' is an annual event, held on the final Thursday of summer term. Big D utilises Derwent Bar and Langwith Old Dining Hall as venues for live acts, with the grassy area between the colleges fenced off and used for outdoor entertainments including bouncy castles, food vans, bucking broncos, etc.

Derwent College was the very first college to be opened following the University’s inception. It was officially opened by Queen Elizabeth II on 22 October 1965. Derwent is home to the University’s Politics and Philosophy departments. It is on the fringe of the campus, lying in the shadow of Heslington Hall close to Heslington village. Derwent College often identifies itself as DCUK, a parody of FCUK. The college has a theme song “I love you Derwent”, sung to the tune of “Can’t Take My Eyes Off Of You”. Like other colleges, we like to think we’re the friendliest and most sociable. We are especially renowned for our Big D event held every summer. Our accommodation ranges from 40 year old blocks to the newer “Extension” blocks. Most rooms are classed as standard, although all have washbasins. In addition to its residents on campus, Derwent College serves residential locations at Eden’s Court and all non-resident members of the College.

Eden’s Court
Eden’s Court stands in rural surroundings on the fringe of Heslington village, about five minutes’ walk from Derwent College. It consists of eight houses, each offering mixed accommodation for ten undergraduates in single study-bedrooms. In addition, two cottages (Eden’s and Sycamore Cottages) on the site have been converted to provide two single study-bedrooms and a small flat for a Resident Dean/Tutor in one cottage and six single rooms in the other. Each house has two showers and two WC’s (the cottages have an over the bath shower) together with selfcatering/ dining kitchen facilities. All rooms have washbasins. There are also telephone facilities in each room and laundry facilities nearby. The Norwegian Study Centre has use of four houses for its short course students from Norway.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 4
Goodricke College
University Goodricke College Website
JCR Goodricke College Website
Goodricke College, opened in 1968, is situated on the south west side of the University in an enviable position with all four blocks overlooking the lake. It is named after John Goodricke, an 18th century astronomer who lived in York.
We like to think we are the friendliest, most sociable college on campus with a fantastic spirit. We pride ourselves on our sporting achievements and have won the inter-college championship on a very regular basis. We are situated very close to the sports facilities. We do have a quiet block where we expect students to keep noise to an absolute minimum at all times and make no noise after 10.00pm. If you would like to be in that block please ask for Block B. All four blocks have standard rooms let on a 38 week basis with full self-catering facilities. We have a very active Junior Common Room with a superb website with a fantastic array of photographs of all our numerous events: www.goodricke.co.uk.

Spoiler

Reply 5
Halifax College
University Halifax College Website
JCR Halifax College Website
Events:
The Halifax College club night is Xtra, which began in February 2005. During 2005 and 2006, Xtra was extremely popular and considered to be one of York's main College events, along with Club D and Planet V.
It is complemented by Xtra Live - the best attended College live music night York, the weekly bar quiz, held every Sunday and one-off events held most Mondays and Thursdays.
These events are provided by the Students' Association.

Halifax College, the biggest college at the University of York, is also one of the later colleges, formed in 2000 and officially opened in 2003. The college community consists of undergraduate and graduate students who are presently in residence or have been in residence at the college, together with staff working within the college and invited members from outside the college. The resident student community at Halifax College comprises just over 1000 undergraduate and postgraduate members who live in 8 courts - St Lawrence, Ingram, Irwin, Lindley, Wood, Younger, Ainsty and Hickleton. There are also family houses in Garrowby Way and McHugh Court, the residential housing at Halifax College.
The purpose-built development of student houses and flats (ranging from 4 to 12 students per house/flat) is situated in rural surroundings near Heslington village and has been likened to a small village community on its own. It is about a ten minutes walk from the centre of campus. Each house or flat has a shared kitchen/dining area. The en-suite rooms in Ainsty and Hickleton Courts are provided by the University Partnership Programme using private finance. A social centre is available, together with a shop, a laundrette and a computing classroom. Within such a large community, there is a diverse range of interests, activities, nationalities and backgrounds. The college has a particularly good record in university sports.

Spoiler

Reply 6
James College
University James College Website
JCR James College Website
Facilities:
Reception
Common Room
Laundrette
Available:
Houses of 16 - Shared bathrooms
Flats of 6 and 8 - En-suite

Events:
Despite its perceived lack of spirit, James is home to the infamous Quad Dash, one of the most popular summer events on campus. It also holds various small events in the JCR and larger ones in association with other colleges.

James College opened in October 1989 being the seventh in chronological order of foundation, of the University’s eight colleges. The college is named after Eric James, subsequently Lord James of Rusholme, one time High Master of Manchester Grammar School and the first Vice-Chancellor of the University of York from 1961 to 1973. The college was extended in 1993 and again in 2000.
Today the college has study bedrooms for 464 undergraduates and 30 postgraduate students. There is also a Common Room, a laundrette and the College Office. The immediately adjacent Roger Kirk Centre provides extensive day and evening catering facilities for those unable or unwilling to cater for themselves. The college is headed by the Provost who has ultimate responsibility for the character, discipline, well being and development of the college community.
The College Council meets once per term to discuss matters of interest and concern to the college and is formed of representatives of the student body and the officers of the college. In his conceptual design for the University of York, Lord James decided to copy the collegiate systems of Oxford and Cambridge. Oxbridge colleges have a teaching role which Lord James believed should be the prerogative of departments but otherwise the eight colleges of the University of York are organised in a similar way to those in Oxford or Cambridge. Students are assigned to Colleges at the start of their course and remain members of the same College for the duration of their studies, whether in residence or otherwise.
The college provides the focus for the bulk of social and sporting activity amongst students. Colleges have a degree of autonomy in their affairs and students are represented by the JCRC (Junior Common Room Committee) on the College Council which is the governing body of the College. The college also provide the main avenue for the provision of welfare support to students, particularly those in residence.

Spoiler

Reply 7
Langwith College
University Langwith College Website
JCR Langgwith College Website
Facilities:
The SU Bar: The Courtyard
Reception
Common Room
Laundrette
Available:
Flats of 6-8 - En-suite and standard

Pictures:
Bedroom 1
Langwith College was officially opened on 22nd October 1965 by Her Majesty The Queen. It was one of the first two colleges to be built. In naming the college the tradition was established that colleges should take the names of people or places with a regional association. Langwith Common stretches south east from the village of Heslington in the direction of Wheldrake Ings and the name of Langwith occurs extensively in the area. It has been suggested that the name is of Viking origin and probably meant something like Long Ford, and referred to pathways, sometimes under the water, which stretched from the village to the Ings before the area was properly drained. The romantic will be able to conjure up heroic figures attacking the enemy and slipping away along the ford, knowing that those who followed were in danger of drowning if they missed the hidden path. What is true is that there is a very long history of association between Heslington and Langwith which is now continued by the advent of the college.
The Departments of Education and English are based within the college. The college has a central site and is convenient base for access to all areas of the campus and for Heslington Village.
Langwith has a mixture of accommodation types available (full details are on the web). We have recently benefited from some refurbishment (B and C Blocks) and in these areas we now have some of the best kitchen facilities on campus. The Langwith spirit is legendary. There is always something going on in the college.

Info and opinions from Students

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 8
Vanbrugh College
University Vanbrugh College Website
JCR Vanbrugh College Website
Vanbrugh College is located in the heart of the University campus and with a wide range of accommodation, has always been home to an eclectic mix of students, from all backgrounds and parts of the world.
The main college nucleus, Le Page Court, is the hub of the College’s thriving community. Centrally located on the north edge of the lake it comprises of two accommodation blocks together with seminar rooms, staff offices, the Mondrian Restaurant, Wicked Snack Bar, the V bar, and Junior (JCR), Graduate (GCR) and Senior (SCR) Common Rooms, where events take place. It is conveniently located for the Market Square, the Library and Student Services. The college is also home to the departments of History, History of Art, Language and Linguistic Science, Languages For All (LFA) and the Centre for English Language Teaching (CELT).
Vanbrugh College was opened in October 1968 as part of the second stage of the University’s development. It is named after Sir John Vanbrugh (1664-1726), the celebrated architect and dramatist, one of whose most famous achievements, Castle Howard, is ten miles to the north of York.
The two residence blocks at Le Page Court, part of the college nucleus, comprise of 92 undergraduate study bedrooms, as well as some brand new kitchens, and a small number of staff flats. Although this is some of our older accommodation, boisterous community living is a must for the authentic university experience.
In addition, brand new luxury accommodation is located a short walk away near the Sally Baldwin Building and the Music Department. This was completed in 2007/8, providing six en-suite residence blocks and a utility building, divided into two courtyards: Donald Barron Court and Barbara Scott Court. These blocks are arranged into two flats of 6 en-suite study bedrooms per floor, with the 12 residents sharing one large, modern, communal kitchen. There is also a small flat where the College Dean resides.
In addition to its residents on campus, Vanbrugh College serves residential locations at Fairfax House, 65-67 Fulford Road and 212-214 Fulford Road, as well as all non-resident members of the college.

Fairfax House
This building stands in its own grounds with pleasant gardens and limited parking, within ten minutes walk of the campus and offers mixed accommodation for 92 students in single study-bedrooms with washbasins and shared bathroom/shower facilities. There are shared kitchens equipped for self-catering, and common room, laundry, television and card phone facilities are available. A light breakfast, consisting of: choice of tea or coffee including herbal teas, choice of cereal with fresh milk, white or wholemeal toast with butter and jam, yoghurt, fresh fruit and fruit juice. The cost of the breakfast is included in the residence fee and provided Monday to Friday during term-time only.

Fulford Road Residences
Two large properties in Fulford Road separately accommodate 15 and 16 students. Both properties are well placed for the centre of York. There are kitchens, a living room, bathroom/ shower and card phone facilities in each property. Most rooms have washbasins. Priority is given to final-year students and mature first years.

Spoiler

Hey, I'm currently a first year at York and so I thought I'd contribute my opinions to this thread because I know it would have been really helpful to have had a thread like this when I was choosing last year!

Firstly, the official disclaimer, which I know everyone says but it really is true - no matter what college you are in, you will have an awesome time if you make the effort to get out and about and just chat to everybody you meet! There are some colleges which have a better social life than others but the difference really is minimal - and the majority of your social life will stem from societies which are not college exclusive (or so I have found) or the people you're living with, not the college's reputation for events/socials!

So with that out of the way, here are my opinions on the colleges at York!

ALCUIN

It has a reputation for being quite quiet and 'out of the way' but I've actually found it to be one of the more social colleges - the way that its lovely new accomodation is structured means that everyone congregates in the kitchen area so that you bond with your housemates easily, and a lot of my good friends who are outside my college live in Alcuin. There's also a lovely little cafe/bar there.

The accomodation is also for the most part very pretty! Lovely ensuites (some with baths!) and modern kitchens. It's also situated very near the library so good for those of you who might find it hard to motivate yourself to go and get books - if it's right there, there's no excuse!

It's also near to the Law, Theatre Film and TV and Chemistry departments, as well as the medical school. However, it's worth noting that the campus is really really small, you can walk one side to the other in about 10/15 mins, so don't worry too much about proximity to your department!

DERWENT

You will probably hear a lot about Derwent being the most sociable college, and it does deserve some of this reputation - they have 'Club D' events on a very regular basis in their bar, with themes ranging from chav to superheroes, and everyone seems to have a great time (though I've never been to one!) It's location isn't central - it's on the edges of the main campus, but as I have said this really isn't a problem, and it's very near a lot of departments - politics, philosophy, English and education to name but a few. It's also one of the prettiest looking colleges - it has lovely water features and looks gorgeous at the moment with all the snow!

I have no idea what the accomodation is like there, I'm guessing it's fairly standard - I haven't heard any complaints! I'd say Derwent is a safe bet (it's the one I put first on my accomodation application last year as well!)

HALIFAX

Halifax is a bit of an odd one as it is actually 5 minutes out from the main campus. It is however the biggest college so you are guaranteed to make new friends! Everyone I've met from Halifax seems to like it, and the way that accomodation is arranged in houses seems more social than the corridor system of the halls on campus. I don't know how nice the accomodation is though - again, I'm guessing it's pretty standard.

It also doesn't mean that you will be outcast from campus life if you live here, as some people might imply - as long as you make an effort to join societies/go to student nights in town/generally chat to people, you'll be absolutely fine! Quite a few of my friends live in Halifax and say while it's a pain being a little further from campus, it isn't at all detrimental to their social lives.

JAMES

Now, from tradition, I should proceed to insult this college because I come from Goodricke and we have a massive college rivalry - but actually one of my best friends at uni lives in James and I went to one of the best house parties ever there, so I can't abuse them too much!

James is notable for 2 things - its gorgeous accomodation, which is so so pretty with beautiful huge bathrooms and kitchens, and its lack of a bar, which doesn't actually matter now that we have a union bar for everyone on campus, not just college bars.

However, it does have a reputation for being a bit quiet! James usually joins up with Goodricke/Halifax for big events or socials though, so it's a good one for making friends in other colleges.

LANGWITH

Another quiet one - Langwith doesn't really have any sort of reputation for anything. Accomodation is decent, on the smaller side, but the rest of the college is very modern and shiny with lovely surrounding grounds. Most notably, Langwith features the new SU bar 'The Courtyard', which is really popular and hosts campus events which so far have been successful. Langwith is also quite central to campus and a lot of lectures happen there in the large lecture theatre. Langwith is another safe bet, I'd be happy to live there.

GOODRICKE

Well what can I say - Goodricke is the best college on campus without a doubt. To dispute this claim, people argue that our rooms were voted the worst in the UK for student accomodation - but worry not! Goodricke is moving in the summer to the brand new, modern, shiny campus which is being built ready for October 2009. This means you'll have brand new rooms, which will be either ensuite or non-ensuite depending on what you want, and better kitchens and general facilities as well.

Goodricke has deservedly had a reputation as a party college for years, and this shows signs of being revived this year with the new JCRC - we recently ran a social which had over 100 Goodrickers dressed in army gear and rampaging around the centre of York in its clubs! We also hosted a sell-out event earlier this term which was 90s themed.

The only negative in the past of Goodricke has been the hideous accomodation - but with the transition to the new campus this worry is removed, making Goodricke officially the best college on campus!

(DISCLAIMER: I live in Goodricke. My account may therefore be slightly biased..)

VANBRUGH

Vanbrugh is right in the centre of campus and is another really safe bet. Accomodation is standard, but there are some beautiful new buildings which Vanbrugh owns too set slightly apart from the college, with really pretty modern rooms and kitchens, and a nice quad at the front! It's got good events, a really great bar which is often the meeting point for society socials, and houses the History department so I spend a lot of my time there!

So there we are - my guide to the colleges. If you have any questions or want to know any more, please quote me and reply, or PM me!

Hope this helps!
Reply 10
Annie354
Most universities have a sticky for accommodation on their forum and I think York should have one too. :biggrin: ...or at least a place where we can discuss it and people can give their opinions. I know there's another thread but it's really old now and disorganised and is just full of random questions... but if this doesn't work I can always have it deleted.

So if any current students could contribute with pictures, advice, opinions, links etc that would be helpful to perspective students that would be much appreciated. :cool:

The University of York

York Accommodation

York Panoramas

University Alcuin College Website
JCR Alcuin College Website

Univerity Derwent College Website
JCR Derwent College Website

University Halifax College Website
JCR Halifax College Website

University James College Website
JCR James College Website

University Langwith College Website
JCR Langwith College Website

University Goodricke College Website
JCR Goodricke College Website

University Vanbrugh College Website
JCR Vanbrugh College Website

And before any of you say it, I know I'm really bored :redface:
...And even though picking accommodation doesn't take place till August/September it's nice to be able to look into it now etc

im being a bit off topic but was wondering if you were considering Birmingham as well as york. (have you got your offer yet)

Ive got offers for york manchester and Birmingham but am confused were to go :mad: have you been to Birmingham open days ? What did you think about it? (im going next week)
Reply 11
lazzyfuzzylou
Hey, I'm currently a first year at York and so I thought I'd contribute my opinions to this thread because I know it would have been really helpful to have had a thread like this when I was choosing last year!

Thanks a lot for your input. Is it true that James college is using all the old Goodricke flats next year?
Reply 12
Annie354
Thanks a lot for your input. Is it true that James college is using all the old Goodricke flats next year?

Not quite. It's expanding onto where Goodricke is now, but not from next year. They're going to be knocked down and rebuilt first.

Also, with Hes East, Derwent will probably move to be the most central college (being the eastern most point of Hes West), and also Alcuin won't be near to Law, TFTV or Computer Science next year.

But other than that it's fairly accurate (apart from Goodricke being the best college on campus, obviously - Alcuin ftw!)
Reply 13
laser
Not quite. It's expanding onto where Goodricke is now, but not from next year. They're going to be knocked down and rebuilt first.

Also, with Hes East, Derwent will probably move to be the most central college (being the eastern most point of Hes West), and also Alcuin won't be near to Law, TFTV or Computer Science next year.

But other than that it's fairly accurate (apart from Goodricke being the best college on campus, obviously - Alcuin ftw!)

Thanks - it was my main worry about applying for James college, potentially being in Cell Block C :tongue:

Mind summing your College at York, good points, bad points, any pics?
Anything extra...
Reply 14
So, I was in the Alcuin new blocks, and I loved it. Accommodation was literally brand new when I started (2005). Close to my department, big kitchens, plenty of fridge/freezer/cupboard/cooker space, big quads in the middle during the summer, and Siwards Howe immediately behind where we took some disposable barbecues too a few times. I really like our bar, it's got less of a cafeteria feel to it and more of a bar feel to it (at night at least, it's got subdued lighting and serves cocktails, and as it's a lot smaller, the events are a lot more intimate and less of the school disco feel Planet V and Club D sometimes has - Club D and Planet V are both amazing though!)

Downside is most of my lectures were in Biology which is on the other edge of campus, and B Henry's is now only open 2 nights a week, and no table service (and I think even hot food) during the day anymore, and under threat of closure.

Pictures from my first night:

Kitchen: http://www.flickr.com/photos/laser2k/115544294/in/set-72057594086794967/
My room: http://www.flickr.com/photos/laser2k/115540041/in/set-72157603549062594/ (looking conspicuously undecorated)
The quad: http://www.flickr.com/photos/laser2k/115540257/in/set-72157603549062594/ (the other block is long since complete!)

also
View from the back, up towards Computer Science and Siwards Howe: http://www.flickr.com/photos/laser2k/115541223/in/set-72057594086794604/
The quad in snow: http://www.flickr.com/photos/laser2k/115541373/in/set-72057594086794604/
Reply 15
Annie354
Thanks - it was my main worry about applying for James college, potentially being in Cell Block C :tongue:

Goodricke is the one with Cell Block C.

Derwent rocks. Represent.
Reply 16
gumbald

Not next year :P
Reply 17
laser
Not next year :P

Crazy redevelopers, forgot about that. Goodricke blocks are becoming James blocks?

Out of interest, how much is non en-suite accommodation for the next academic year? 39 weeks or whatever.
gumbald
Crazy redevelopers, forgot about that. Goodricke blocks are becoming James blocks?

Out of interest, how much is non en-suite accommodation for the next academic year? 39 weeks or whatever.

I read somewhere that it was just over £3000. It was £2950 last year, anyway.
Reply 19
gumbald

I'm guessing you were in Derwent...
If I ask really nicely can you write a bit about the college... pros/cons etc?

Quick Reply