The Student Room Group

Can Oxbridge change people?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by emmanottinghil
Yeah because i want to read more lengthy confused rants about how Oxbridge took my girl away from me and made her a tramp and i am not only blameless but utterly wronged. Sure. :smile:

Hmm, you seem to be creating a whole alternate narrative in your head. I don't understand why but.. it's derailing, please stop. This thread was quite simple and I got as good a response as I need from most of the other posters.
Original post by Anonymous
Hmm, you seem to be creating a whole alternate narrative in your head. I don't understand why but.. it's derailing, please stop. This thread was quite simple and I got as good a response as I need from most of the other posters.

Did you? I think you got a lot of nonsense. Oh well.
Original post by FTstudies
Nope, the people I know that went to Oxford/Cambridge are still full of themselves.

Hate to say it, but this is true for the majority of people I know who went to Oxbridge. Not all, some were lovely.
Reply 63
Original post by Rascacielos
...Well, she's obviously not thick.

Take it from me, if she got it, anyone can. She could barely follow the plots of simple films, not too long ago I had to teach her what the word "thaw" meant.

Sciences, maths, engineering, medicine: these are degrees difficult to get onto at any uni. In her case, and I won't name the subject, but believe me she's just fairly good at memorising stuff she reads and her name happened to be pulled out of the hat.
Take it from me, if she got it, anyone can. She could barely follow the plots of simple films, not too long ago I had to teach her what the word "thaw" meant.

Sciences, maths, engineering, medicine: these are degrees difficult to get onto at any uni. In her case, and I won't name the subject, but believe me she's just fairly good at memorising stuff she reads and her name happened to be pulled out of the hat.

I doubt it. Firstly, Oxford and Cambridge don't offer soft degrees; secondly the interview process is rigorous... I should know, I've been through it.

So, no, not anyone can get in. That's why they're amongst some of the best universities in the world.

I was in shock after discovering all this, how someone can change so much for the worse in such a short space of time. On reflection, she never really had a personality, even her career and ambitions are all things that her family or I told her to do (in my case, suggested ofc).

So did she fall in with some kind of revolting Mean Girl-style slag subculture, or is this just the real her, a cold, obnoxious hoebag?

Far more liekly explanation is this is nothing to do with oxbridge and everything to do with growing up and going to university.

Many people try to reinvent themselves at uni, sometimes for the better, and sometimes not.

Bull****. That is not have Oxbridge admissions work, and take that from me.

Name out of a hat? No.

You are seriously underestimating her intelligence.
Reply 67
Uni in general changes people - being in a completely different environment from the one you're used to (away from home, surrounded by lots of people of a similar age, more freedom etc) is bound to have an effect.
Reply 68
Original post by im so academic
Bull****. That is not have Oxbridge admissions work, and take that from me.

Name out of a hat? No.

You are seriously underestimating her intelligence.

Aren't you about 14?

I won't burst your bubble.
This thread has officially derailed :awesome:

Aren't you about 14?

I won't burst your bubble.

Aren't you older than me?

Hmm, I would expect you to be a bit more mature about this subject matter and to not assume that people can get in "randomly".
Reply 71
Original post by xnatalie01x
This thread has officially derailed :awesome:

Yeah, not before I got my answer though, apparently you can't discuss Oxbridge without a troll fight breaking out so I'll let them feast on this carcass.

My final interpretation: uni changes people, usually for good, sometimes for bad. Oxbridge has it's own particular kind of bad and that's what she fell into, largely due to a lack of personality and integrity.

As you all said, I know I'm better off without her, but it's nice to have a little closure. In future I won't project positive traits on people, wishful thinking has no place in relationships and you can end up wasting years of your life on people who just don't deserve it.

Thanks all.
(edited 12 years ago)
PM me if you want to chat - my ex boyfriend did exactly this - turned in to a complete tw*t and seems to be changing in to more or one still!
Reply 74

Similarly vapid but far more skanky and obnoxious.
Original post by littlehobbit
PM me if you want to chat - my ex boyfriend did exactly this - turned in to a complete tw*t and seems to be changing in to more or one still!

Depends on what your Bf is studying? And where...? Ox or cambridge

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending