The Student Room Group

Cricket at University?

I heard its really hard to break through to the Uni cricket team etc

Any one know the "down low"?

Reply 1
good post, want to see some replies, but im guessing it depends on the uni you go to...
Original post by gunit123
good post, want to see some replies, but im guessing it depends on the uni you go to...

Thanks yeah some are like county level ive heard lol
Reply 3
I'd imagine it being hard to get into a cricket uni team playing week in and week out. I believe the England team played Durham university in preparation for the Sri Lanka test match that ended yesterday. Must have been great for the uni to get KP out though!

I really want to play cricket for my uni when I start so will be watching this thread really closely. Hopefully there's someone on TSR on a uni cricket team.

http://southamptonuniversity.hitscricket.co.uk/

^^^Southampton have more than one cricket team so that's encouraging.
Original post by chaz1992
I'd imagine it being hard to get into a cricket uni team playing week in and week out. I believe the England team played Durham university in preparation for the Sri Lanka test match that ended yesterday. Must have been great for the uni to get KP out though!

I really want to play cricket for my uni when I start so will be watching this thread really closely. Hopefully there's someone on TSR on a uni cricket team.

ahh nice one mate ive seen people at my Gym with Southampton Hockey merchandise (ie they play for the team). Yeah my friend was telling Durham have one of the best Uni Teams about :rolleyes:
Reply 5
Original post by JulietAlphaGolf
I heard its really hard to break through to the Uni cricket team etc

Any one know the "down low"?

It depends on the university obviously, but cricket isn't the greatest sport to play at uni, if I'm honest.

For one thing, it suffers from big sport syndrome, which is that it will have well over 200 members, no-one will know each other, and getting into one of the teams is more about who you know and what school you went to than how good you are.

Secondly, its a summer sport, and during the summer at uni you're either doing exams or you're not even there.

So basically, uni cricket consists of paying 30 quid, 6 months of inadequate nets, followed by one match, which will most likely be rained off.
Original post by py0alb
It depends on the university obviously, but cricket isn't the greatest sport to play at uni, if I'm honest.

For one thing, it suffers from big sport syndrome, which is that it will have well over 200 members, no-one will know each other, and getting into one of the teams is more about who you know and what school you went to than how good you are.

Secondly, its a summer sport, and during the summer at uni you're either doing exams or you're not even there.

So basically, uni cricket consists of paying 30 quid, 6 months of inadequate nets, followed by one match, which will most likely be rained off.

Ouch, so much for me being optimistic about cricket at uni lol :s-smilie:
Reply 7
Original post by JulietAlphaGolf
Ouch, so much for me being optimistic about cricket at uni lol :s-smilie:

I'd still recommend you join if you really enjoy it. Do you play for a club in the summer?
Original post by py0alb
I'd still recommend you join if you really enjoy it. Do you play for a club in the summer?

Yeah mate nets training only for me until late June where exams will be over so i can matches :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by chaz1992

Are undergraduates allowed to join the main cricket team and take part in indoor nets sessions, and how often do you have indoor nets practice
Reply 10
Most universities have a minimum of 3/4 sides, so whatever your ability you'd be able to get into a team and play against other universities sides. I.e. If you got in the 3rd XI in your first year, you'd play other Universities 3rd/4th XI. It doesn't matter if you're a 1st or a 3rd year, if you're good enough, you'll get into a team after the trials.

If you're a fresher, you're highly unlikely to get in to Uni 1st teams or UCCE teams, (UCCE teams will be the top university teams in the country who play against major counties in pre-season warm up games), but one of my friends has just got into the Loughborough UCCE side in his 3rd year, so it is possible. Then again, he does play minor counties cricket, so you've gotta be pretty decent to go this far!
Reply 11
I have heard that with most sports UNI's have many teams!

Quick Reply

Latest