The Student Room Group

even though i like him

I know this guy in uni, we’re good friends and possibly lovers (although none of us had the guts to say it yet) anyway, we’re in the same classes labs etc and although I love him so much I sometimes feel a bit jealous when he gets better grades (we both get good grades) dunno why, im annoyed i feel like that - and the mark difference is usually one or two marks! :frown:
Anyone felt like that before?
Reply 1
first - how can you 'possibly' be lovers? hmm

uhm, yes. i get like that with my boyfriend all the time. he always does better than me at everything, and it really gets me down sometimes.
i even get jealous at things like the fact that he is an admin on a forum.. it's sad, but true. i always feel second best when i am around him... it's horrible.
Reply 2
Jealously could drive him away... my ex-best mate was really competitive. But she could never quite beat me and it just made everything so tense, especially if I tried to help her. :rolleyes: It's not his fault that you're not as good as him.

You really shouldnt compare yourself to others, someone's always gonna be better than you unless you're *the* best.

Actually I don't think it's "normal". I compare myself to others, but I can accept that others are better than me at things, and some people aren't as good as me. But then I can think "you might be better at chemistry than me, but my German's a zillion times better than yours" etc.
Just work harder then and get the extra marks. Or let it go. This guy I always beat at squash beat me the other day so I just played harder next time and kicked his arse (we're not even "possibly" lovers though - so maybe it's not relevant to your situation). It's stupid and petty to be honest, and yet, I understand what you mean. Just don't let it get to you, you are better at some things than he is and vice versa. Just accept it and get down to your loving. :p:
Reply 4
Jealously could drive him away... my ex-best mate was really competitive. But she could never quite beat me and it just made everything so tense, especially if I tried to help her. It's not his fault that you're not as good as him

same here my mate used to always do better then me and i felt bad not jelous but just like i was letting everyone down somehow, dont be jelous about it its not the be all and end all i dont think!! if he rubs it in you face then yer i dont blame you but theres no need for jelously
I hate the fact that if one of my friends gets good marks, I always compliment and congratulate him. But if I get good marks, you can tell from his body language that hes not at all impressed :frown:
i get jealous of my boyfriend all the time, esp when he gets good marks- its not like i dont want him to do well, i guess i just dont want him to be better than me! its so selfish i know which is why i never act on it, just try to get over it, appreciate the things that your loads better at! dont let jealousy come between u.x
You could feel jealous, but my ex bf was a slob about and trust me, its worse. Especially if you ended up with him long term, its better to have someone successful
Reply 8
stop being so competitive