Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

What Happens When an Unstoppable Force Meets an Immovable Object?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The immovable object breaks.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by green.tea)
    The immovable object breaks.
    How can it break without moving? :p:
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    One or the other must yield:

Either the unmovable object breaks..

.. Or the unstoppable force changes direction

:wizard:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    roger federer wins
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    How can it break without moving? :p:
    hmm. ok.

I guess an object could only be immovable by allowing an unstoppable force to pass through or an unstoppable force could only be unstoppable by being able to pass through the immovable.

Were this not the case the existence of both an immovable object and an unstoppable force would be impossible.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    hmm. ok.

I guess an object could only be immovable by allowing an unstoppable force to pass through or an unstoppable force could only be unstoppable by being able to pass through the immovable.

Were this not the case the existence of both an immovable object and an unstoppable force would be impossible.
    Or alternatively, the unstoppable force and immovable object could both exist, but in such a way that it is impossible that they would ever meet one another.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    Or alternatively, the unstoppable force and immovable object could both exist, but in such a way that it is impossible that they would ever meet one another.
    But then something would be stopping the force meeting the object.
    • 101 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thebestgod)
    That would depend on the exact magnitude of both the forces. How do you define unstoppable and Immovable?

Does immovable imply unbreakable? If so, then the force would penetrate the object and pass right through it?

If not, then I don't think they'll cancel each other out because they're not opposite to each other.

Also the object will have a mass. Do forces HAVE a mass themselves? I don't think they do. So if they have no mass, we can say they have no energy too since E=mc^2.

Hmm forces have no energy? I think they CARRY energy. I don't know

To answer your question, my bet would be that the unstoppable force will absorbed by the object and its energy converted into mass. The mass increases the size of the original object.
    Physics doesn't work like that. Just because something has no mass does not mean it has no energy. Take a photon, for example. Life is pretty ****ed if a photon doesn't carry any energy. E = mc^2 is only intended to describe the energy of objects with mass, it does not apply when m = 0.

Forces are indirect quantities. It's not massive, nor does it exist in any sort of wave state - it is simply a thing which causes an object to change in some way. The causes of a force are the complicated bit! So no, forces don't have mass!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    But then something would be stopping the force meeting the object.
    Could just be traveling in the wrong direction.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Could just be traveling in the wrong direction.
    But then the fact that it was traveling in the wrong direction would stop it from meeting the object.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    But then the fact that it was traveling in the wrong direction would stop it from meeting the object.
    So an unstoppable force would have to travel everywhere in order to not be stopped from traveling anywhere?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So an unstoppable force would have to travel everywhere in order to not be stopped from traveling anywhere?
    It'd have to not be stopped from being stopped... What a silly argument.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It'd have to not be stopped from being stopped... What a silly argument.
    Yeah. :rolleyes:
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Heath Ledger meets Mary Kate Olsen and Diazepam.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    There could be a variety of outcomes depending on other relevant variables. But I'd assume that either the object subjected to the force or the immovable object would break.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Necro
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think it would accidentally the whole object.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    You have successfully divided by 0
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can't the object just change the direction of the force? No paradox that I can see.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wactm)
    Is it wierd that this question holds a lot of significance for me? My dad asked me this when he was doing his PhD, I was 10. I spent 2 hours trying to come up with an answer.

He said.

The Unstoppable Force Stops. The Immovable object Moves.
    So they are not unstoppable and immovable then? So they aren't the forces the question is referring to, and you haven't sufficiently answer the question... I wonder what your dad was going his PhD in...

(Original post by King-Panther)
    Yes, that makes sense. As the unstoppable force meets its nemeses, an immovable object.. or does it, as its an unstoppable FORCE and an immoveable OBJECT, surely that makes no sense. A force is a force and an objet is an object... So the unstoppable force stops to become what?????? An idil force, but surely it can not be a "force" if is "idil" (it could be an unstoppable object) and what becomes of the object now that it is moving, does itself become unstoppable... And surely that is contradictory, the immoveable moves and the unstoppable stops.. But it is still the most logic answer is this illogical scenario. I still feel that an explosion is a answer, in other words, they cancel each other out.
    You started so well. You should have ended at "surely that makes no sense". After deciding the question makes no sense you start using logic to go on about "idle forces"....

A force cannot really be defined as "unstoppable". An object certainly can't be defined as "immovable". Its an inherent property of matter etc etc. F=ma, a physical rule the universe follows. So that ends the question. Its not valid.

If I ask you, "I have an object that is completely blue and completely red. What colour is it?" There is no answer, the question is just stupid.

I suspect the question is one of those philosophical types that was thought up hundreds of years ago before people understood forces and objects, it doesn't actually refer to the physics meaning of the terms "force", more the general kind. People use it to apply to people etc.

That or it is used to show you that some questions are stupid.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 1, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE English mock revision

Revise together & check out past papers

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.