The Student Room Group

Summer festival guide!!

So seeing as it helped a lot of people last year, I have decided to repost my festival guide again. I hope that some of yuo find it useful and of course, have a fantastic time!!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

his is my review on festivals in general, I have been to a fair few since I was 16 (I am now 22) so believe I have enough knowledge to pass on my experience, tips and general information.

First of all, I will start by saying, festivals are not for everyone, there is some sort of stigma attached that you will smell all weekend whilst there and will be uncomfortable for the duration. This is not true, I believe you can make your festival experience as clean or as dirty (literally) as you like. Just because you live in a tent for a few days does not always mean it will be uncomfortable, there are cheap options such as roll matts to sleep on that aren;t the best admittedly, but you can always go upmarket and buy an air mattress or even a fold up bed. The experience is completely what you make it and just thought I would say this first before I continue.

Although children are allowed at most festivals, id advise to not bring them, as some of the things that happen that cant be controlled could be unsuitable, it would also give you a bit of a break away from them, and will also be cheaper. Family camps are usually available however if this is not an option.

Festivals come in all sorts of sizes, large ones being events such as Glastonbury, which has now been going for a whopping 40 years! However there are smaller ones such as local ones which can be just as much fun also, but obviously not including big named bands. I have been to quite a selection of festivals, I generally prefer the busy ones and have therefore attended Glastonbury, Leeds, Rockness (Which is located in Lochness, Inverness, which is a gorgeous location to have a festival, highly recommended), Latitude, Sonisphere, Download, Global Gathering and a handful of smaller festivals.

I will now tell you a bit about each of these festivals in order to give you all a bit of an incite into what I like and what the festivals entail.

Glastonbury:
Needs no explanation really, you only have to watch the highlight son the TV to see how amazing it looks. Its host to some of the biggest acts in the world and over 25 stages! There is always something to do here, be it watch the bands, try some of the amazing food on offer, have a few drinks in the masses of different bars available, chilling out in the stone circle, a wild visit to Shang-ri-la and Trash City. There is just so much to do and 5 days certainly is not enough in order to see it all. If you have never been to a festival before, this is the DADDY of them all for sure!

Leeds:
Twinned with Reading (the original), I have been here for the last 4 years and just cant get enough. Its smaller than glastonbury and is host to about 80,000 people over the entire weekend which is usually the bank holiday weekend in August. This festival is more for people who enjoy Indie, electro and rock music and caters for the majority of people but mainly people in their late teens and 20's. Im 21 and still love it and I think I always will. Leeds has a lot of night time entertainment such as silent discos, campsite DJ's, which anyone can do if you apply before the festival. It also has a fairground in orange camp and lots of stalls to buy things such as clothes/camping equipment. Its an expensive one at about £200 for a weekend ticket including early entry and booking fee's. Highly recommended.

Rockness:
Located in the gorgeous Lochness, the main stage is in front of this lake and looks amazing. The only downfall of this festival is that it is so far away. Its cheaper than Leeds and Glastonbury at about £130 for a weekend ticket. This festival caters mainly for fans of dance, electro and indie music mainly. Its a good laugh as the Scottish always provide with entertainment.

Latitude:
This is a totally different festival altogether and one that I have been to twice. It is quite small as its fairly new and is very family orientated. It has been known to attract a lot of middle class people, but I have never really noticed really. Its hosts acts that aren't as popular as acts at the main festivals, but creates a relaxed atmosphere and has some lovely scenery. There isn't really much to do at night, except for those who want to go partying in the woods where there is a couple of hidden stages for late night DJ's. I enjoyed doing this at night as it was different and almost rave-esque.

Sonisphere:
This only started last year, and is for fans of Rock and Metal music. It is a very big rival to Download festival which is also for similar music. This festival had a lot of teething problems last year, the stages were all wonky and there was a distinct lack of entertainment and atmosphere at night. It seems as though there was nothing to do at night at all. Hopefully this will change this year.

Download:
As stated, very similar to Sonisphere but far more organised. Held around Donning-ton park race track, this festival attracted 100,000 people this year. There is lots of entertainment at night including the VK parties, fair rides, a mini village full of stuff to do including shisha. Definitely one to go to if you like alternative music.

Global Gathering:
This festival is a must for those who love dance music. It caters for all types including hardcore, dubstep, drum and bass, electro, house and also allows a few bands to play on the live stage also. The only thing I don't like about this festival is that it is only 2 days long and the first day doesn't usually start until 5pm. I feel it would be better if they made it a 3 day weekend festival instead. A fun festival to attend, but tiring with all the dancing.

There are many more festivals in the UK that cater for everything, theres even food festivals for all you foodies out there. There is also a festival guide magazine/book that comes out yearly that includes all the UK festivals, so this may be handy to look at if you need help deciding which one to go to.

So what should you take to a festival? Well a tent is usually a good place to start. Make sure you get a tent that is suited to you, theres no point having a 6 man just for one person as not only would it be a pain in the backside to put up, the nights get very cold and all the space around you will make you colder. I suggest a 2 man tent for one person, a 3 man for 2, a 4 man for 3 and so on, so that that extra space will be enough to keep your stuff in around you and keep you warmer at night. Id also like to stress that you don't go too cheap! If you insist on getting a cheap tent then PLEASE make sure it has 2 layers on it, else if it rains, all your stuff will get wet and thats not a great thing to happen. Argos are usually pretty good for tents during the summer months, but also check local camping stores as these often have some good deals on really good tents also.

Another tip is to make sure whatever sleeping bag you take, make sure its warm. Mines really thick as its for all weathers, its bulky to carry but its so worth it as I don't shiver at night unlike those people who take really cheap skinny Tesco's brand or something along those lines.

------------

So what else do I recommend you take?

Toilet roll (you will need it, fact!)
Hand sanitiser (there will be no soap)
Blanket (for extra warmth)
Pillow (comfort)
Clothes (But not too many as you wont wear them all)
Deodorant
Toothbrush/paste
Suncream
Baby Wipes (to wash with if you don't want to use the on-site showers)
Spare phone battery or spare phone
Towel/shower stuff
Money (dur)
Food (mainly snacks, easy to cook stuff)
Drinks (Dont forget some soft drinks as well as your alcohol!)
Paracetamol (Trust me!)
Wellies
Medication that you may need.
Poncho or waterproof jacket
Torch
Dry shampoo

What not to take...

Drugs or illegal substances, as checks are undertaken and you could get caught.
Too many clothes/shoes as you wont use them
Heavy items that you wont use

I also have some tips for you, that may be of use:

-take nearly empty shampoo's and toothpaste etc or miniatures as its lighter to carry and you can throw the containers away for when you go back home so your stuff will be lighter.

-Write down phone numbers you may need on a bit of paper so that if you lose your phone or it runs out and you cant contact anyone, you can use someone elses phone or a payphone to get hold of them.

-Unpack everything once your tent is set up, you will be thankful later when it gets dark and you cant find anything in your bag.

-------------

Festival working opportunities:

So sometimes times are hard and money can be an issue for some people and yet if you still want to go to a festival but not pay, there are ways around this. No, I dont mean sneak your way in or fake a ticket, I mean by working. Theres a lot of companys that offer festival work to people for either a wage or just for the ticket to the festival. I have done this on many occasions and have had mixed experiences.

The company that I have recently worked for are called 'Festaff'. I worked for them at this years Download festival and in return I got a free ticket, secure camping site and a meal per shift. I was part of the campsite information team and had to do 3x8 hour shift over the 7 days that I was on site. I missed 0 arena time. They are a decent company to work for and pay at most events. Please google them if you wish to work for them in the future. Also, no deposit was needed, instead I handed them my passport or drivers licence as a form of deposit and got it back when I finished my last shift. A fun company to work for and very understanding.

In the past, I have also worked for DC site services, this company seems to have gone a bit downhill in the last year as they lost a lot of contracts, however they still do a few events but a deposit of £225 is asked to cover the cost of the tickets (in case you do a runner). This is a one off payment however and covers all festivals so you can work as many as you want under that one deposit. Te good thing about this company is that they pay, however this can take a few weeks. Their jobs are also pretty grim, and include working 12 hour shifts picking up litter etc. on the plus side you do get 2 meals per shift, but then again you also lose a fair amount of the festival. I met some great people through this company, but don't work for them any more.

There are also other companies that want workers and one of the more well known ones is Oxfam. This is voluntary work that does require a deposit, but in return, you only work 3 short shifts over the festival weekend and the money that you would normally have been payed, gets given to the charity instead. Oxfam are all reliable and well known, so its very safe to work for them.
Another company that I know of is Flair events, never worked for them myself but know people that have and have received good reviews. Also SEP, again, not worked for them myself but know of people that have. SEP also do not require a deposit, but don't let you have your wristband until the bands start in the arena, which sucks.

------------

Are festivals safe?

Yes and No is the answer to that. Yes they are in many regards, or rather, they try to make them as safe as possible, but its not guaranteed that on the last day of Leeds festival, you wont get your tent set on fire etc. security are on site 24/7 and are normally very good at controlling trouble and any problems that occur, but of course some things just happen. For example 'poo girl', yes google it if you dont believe me, but this girl dropped her bag down a long drop toilet (basically a cess pit) at leeds festival, tried to hook it out with her arms and got stuck. Of course this is humorous to us, but it did happen, people did watch and most people know about it, so much so it got on the news. This wasn't something I expected to happen, but it did, just like other things could, but generally its pretty safe to attend.
In order to keep as safe as possible, make sure you don't drink too much as to put yourself in danger, dont take anything you are not familiar with or think you cant handle. Make sure you report fires that are too big that are near you, as they could spread and put you in danger. Also, do not throw gas canisters into fires as these explode and cause bad injuries. These should be banned now anyway, but just be extra careful!
If you suspect someone is in trouble and cant get themselves to hep, tell security, you would want the same thing to happen to you right?

If you find anything that seems to be of value, please hand it in to lost property, treat people how you would want to be treated, at the end of the day if you lost your phone/wallet etc you would be gutted if someone didn't bother handing it in wouldn't you? Yeah? So do the same for them. There should be lockers available on site, though these can be a little pricey at about £12 for the weekend, but may be worth it especially to keep car keys and money in.

Other Information...

Travel to festivals these days is quite easy, there are various coach services to most major festivals, its worth looking on sites such as 'National Express' and 'Megabus' to see if they go to the city the festival is in as it may be cheaper to do it that way then get another bus to the site than actually getting the coach straight to the site itself.

There are also lots of trains running to various places and if booked early enough in advance, these train fares could be fairly cheap.

Another form of transport is of course by car, though this is the most convenient, expect to be caught in queues and with the price of petrol at the moment, could cost a fair amount. Also try to car share if you can, with others as this can cut down the cost and gain you new friends, just make sure they're not dodgy before you let them in, or vice versa.

Take enough money to get you through the weekend! Food on site is extortionate! Im talking £2.20 for a bottle of water/coke, and at least £4 for a burger. Noodles are now about £7 on site, so take enough money to cover your meals or make your own!

There are bars on every festival site, expect to pay around £3.60 for a pint of beer/cider and up to £6 for a spirit and mixer. Not cheap by all means but taking your own alcohol into the arena at festivals is not allowed and searches are almost always carried out. The only exception for this is at glastonbury, as alcohol is allowed everywhere there.

Take a bikini/swimming stuff if you want to go for a shower... As 90% of the time, they are communal and if you are like me, I don't particularly like the idea of getting naked in front of other people. Also, expect the showers to be cold.

Make sure you drink a lot of water if its hot, theres nothing worse than being dehydrated. Take an empty water bottle with you into the arena's and fill them up with the taps provided, yes there may be a queue, but t least you wont have to pay every time you fancy a drink.

Take a torch with you! This is very important in regards to using the toilets in the dark, they will be messy and I can guarantee that you will need the torch to see what you are dealing with. They also help to find your stuff in your tent at night and also help to see the flipping guide ropes on tents that are notorious for tripping over!

I have probably missed a lot of things out, and if you have any other questions then please comment and il add the answers in and make this guide a lot better and hopefully help a lot of people out.

Remember, being at a festival is a great experience, have as much fun as you can and forget about the outside world. At the end of the day, you have paid a lot of money for your ticket so make sure you make the most of it and have loads of fun with friends and family. If it rains, don't let the weather get you down, just brave it, play in mud puddles, you will all look messy anyway. Make sure you don't take anything valuable or if you do, sleep with them in your sleeping bag as thats probably the safest place at night as they are with you.

I hope this has been of use. Its taken me long enough :smile:

Rachel

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Habibi-shisha-hays
Habibi Shisha Hayes

I am Habibi and I am gay.

Gtfo!!!!

Thanks for the guide, I'm going to T in the Park this year for the first time and some of this should come in useful to me :biggrin:!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by UniversityLAD
Gtfo!!!!

Thanks for the guide, I'm going to T in the Park this year for the first time and some of this should come in useful to me :biggrin:!

No probs :smile: btw, whats the deal with the quote? lol
Reply 3
[QUOTE='rach [shikari];31850729']
Latitude:
This is a totally different festival altogether and one that I have been to twice. It is quite small as its fairly new and is very family orientated. It has been known to attract a lot of middle class people, but I have never really noticed really. Its hosts acts that aren't as popular as acts at the main festivals, but creates a relaxed atmosphere and has some lovely scenery. There isn't really much to do at night, except for those who want to go partying in the woods where there is a couple of hidden stages for late night DJ's. I enjoyed doing this at night as it was different and almost rave-esque.

Except commit a couple of rapes : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-10676193

Sorry, couldn't help myself!

Cracking post all in all though, top effort.
[QUOTE='rach [shikari];31897052']No probs :smile: btw, whats the deal with the quote? lol
Lol someone before me was advertising something so I told him to gtfo! I'll delete the quote now :biggrin:
Reply 5
im already going to V this year, and have just seen the line up for global gathering which looks too good to miss! but im 17 and the age limit for global gathering is 18+ do you reckon i will still get in or are they really strict?
Oooh, I'm excited for Leeds now.

I've never even been to a concert before so I'm throwing myself in at the deep end :colone:.
Reply 7
What food would you suggest on taking??

I don't really fancy queuing up and don't really have a lot of money for the high prices they will be.

I'm assuming this dry shampoo is shampoo you can use without wetting your hair?
(edited 12 years ago)
Oh I have a tip, if you don't want to invest in an air bed, a lilo works just as well!
I've been sleeping on Lilos at festivals for 3 years now. You can buy them in the £1 shop, usually two in a pack.
Seriously, they're so helpful!

& I usually take supernoodles, crisps, bread, bickkys. Starchy things that will fill you up, not usually the most appetizing things, but they work!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by KlaireDelilah

Original post by KlaireDelilah
Oh I have a tip, if you don't want to invest in an air bed, a lilo works just as well!
I've been sleeping on Lilos at festivals for 3 years now. You can buy them in the £1 shop, usually two in a pack.
Seriously, they're so helpful!

& I usually take supernoodles, crisps, bread, bickkys. Starchy things that will fill you up, not usually the most appetizing things, but they work!

Do you have a special thing to cook the noodles on then? Because I don't have one of them :sad:
Last year we took a small camping stove :smile:
Original post by Kash:)
What food would you suggest on taking??

I don't really fancy queuing up and don't really have a lot of money for the high prices they will be.

I'm assuming this dry shampoo is shampoo you can use without wetting your hair?

sorry for the late reply, been on holiday. Yes, dry shampoo can be bought in boots/superdrug and most supermarkets. The one I use is called bastiste. All you do is spray it on your hair, leave it in for a few seconds then brush it out, works wonders. I use it all the time to liven my hair up some days as it really volumises too.

Foodwise... noodles are your best bet, or cerial bars, bread, soup, sanwiches for 1st couple of days as they will last only 1 or 2 days. I used to make smash, beans and cheese, lots of people don't like smash, but its simple and easy to make lol.
You should go further afield and try some European festivals: some in Croatia/Roskilde/Exit etc. This is my aim next year!

Been Download 2 years running, Leeds 2007 and Big Chill Fest in 2007 -Big Chill is a big family friendly festival in Eastnoor Deer Park. It surrounds a huge lake and caters to those who fancy a more chilled out atmosphere. Mr Scruff (DJ) always has a tea shack on site and usually has a 2hr DJ set with funky music. I loved it there and it made a nice change.

I'm going to 02 Wireless this weekend which is based in London Hyde Park. This sort of event has no camping so it would suit those who are wary about living out of a camping bag. :h:

Great post btw...I would love to go to Soni and GG this year but no moneyz. :'(
First of all thanks a million, great help as I'm of to T in the Park this year, my first ever festival yay!

I was just wondering, what you would recommened to do about mobiles, right now I've got a Blackberry Torch and because it's a smartphone the battery lifes rubbish so not really sure what to do. :confused: Would you recommened buying a cheap PAYG for the weekend or do you know if there's anyway I could keep it charged?

Also I'm a little worried about it getting stolen but it's probably highly unlikely due to the massive crack I have running right down the screen :colondollar:
Original post by Cati.LaLa
First of all thanks a million, great help as I'm of to T in the Park this year, my first ever festival yay!

I was just wondering, what you would recommened to do about mobiles, right now I've got a Blackberry Torch and because it's a smartphone the battery lifes rubbish so not really sure what to do. :confused: Would you recommened buying a cheap PAYG for the weekend or do you know if there's anyway I could keep it charged?

Also I'm a little worried about it getting stolen but it's probably highly unlikely due to the massive crack I have running right down the screen :colondollar:

It depends really, I mean, I used to take an old phone and use payg for the weekend, the battery lasted longer and I didn't have to worry if I lost it(which i didn't) and cutting the contract off if I did.
However, I have recently been taking my iphone and buying a locker on site, as you can charge your phones up in them (with a car adapter) this cost about £12 for the weekend and was useful to keep money in. I put a lock on my phone so no one could use it is I lost it /got stolen, however it was also insured against this if anything did happen. So its really up to you.
[QUOTE='rach [shikari];32599491']It depends really, I mean, I used to take an old phone and use payg for the weekend, the battery lasted longer and I didn't have to worry if I lost it(which i didn't) and cutting the contract off if I did.
However, I have recently been taking my iphone and buying a locker on site, as you can charge your phones up in them (with a car adapter) this cost about £12 for the weekend and was useful to keep money in. I put a lock on my phone so no one could use it is I lost it /got stolen, however it was also insured against this if anything did happen. So its really up to you.

Thanks :smile: I did end up just buying a cheap payg phone today, but will definately make sure to keep the locker in mind for next year (I'm sure I'll be back next year hehe).
So much useful info thank you!! I'm going to GG for the first time and until one of my friends mentioned it I never would've thought to take toilet roll lol and some other things you've mentioned.

With regards to GG, are you allowed to take any drinks at all? I know you said you can't take any into the arena but can you take your own into the camping site?

Also, are these cash points there? I know this probably sounds stupid to seasoned pros.

What time does the music start/finish? As in will there still be music going well into the night?

I'm getting myself a pop up tent as I've never put a tent up before lol and i'll probably risk a single skinned one as they're cheaper and hope it doesn't rain.
Original post by BeesKnees
So much useful info thank you!! I'm going to GG for the first time and until one of my friends mentioned it I never would've thought to take toilet roll lol and some other things you've mentioned.

With regards to GG, are you allowed to take any drinks at all? I know you said you can't take any into the arena but can you take your own into the camping site?

Also, are these cash points there? I know this probably sounds stupid to seasoned pros.

What time does the music start/finish? As in will there still be music going well into the night?

I'm getting myself a pop up tent as I've never put a tent up before lol and i'll probably risk a single skinned one as they're cheaper and hope it doesn't rain.

Hey, wish I was goin this year hehe. Anyway, GG is a pain in the ass, they don't let you take any drinks on site (at least not when I went 2 years ago) no alcohol, nothing except 2litres of water per person, sealed. Stupid realyl seeing as the amount of drugs around and its a friggin dance fest but hey. You can buy them on site, Priced around £2 for 500ml of coke/7up/water etc and alcohol more pricey. I believe a voddy coke was like £4.50? Yeah....:eek:

There are a few cash points on site, I remember there being about 8 before you go in and another 8 towards the back of the festival where the fair was, but the layout has all changed, if you can't find any, just ask one of the stewards. Be aware that these do charge though, approx £2 per transaction. They also have a tendancy to run out, and come with pretty long queues.

Music wise, on the Friday it started about 5pm (we were in VIP and got in at like 1pm to camp so gave us enough time to set up and chill), it went thru till like 2am on sat. The music then started again on sat about 1pm through till 6am. So I hope you don't plan on sleeping :smile:

Pop up tent in this weather should be fine, I took one for convienience and had no problems except putting it down hehe. If it is forcast to rain, I suggest takin a few bin bags and putting your clothes etc in there just in case your tent does leak, that way, you will at the very least have some dry clothes!

Hope you have an amazing time, let me know how you find it :smile:
Reply 18
How long are the setlists at festivals btw?
Original post by sbarrie2
How long are the setlists at festivals btw?

1st of all, nice sig :smile: Love blink. sets vary really, depends on how late in the day the band plays. The later, the longer as its a build up to the last act who will play the longest, usually a 1.5 hr set (headliners). Acts who start 1st are usually only on for 20-30 mins and the sets get extended by 5-10 mins every couple of hours or so.

At GG however, the headliners in the tents can play up to 3 hours. (Not main stage)

Quick Reply

Latest