The Student Room Group

My McDonald's manager is a ****** but I don't have any option :(

Scroll to see replies

Everyone in a job may have to do something they don't enjoy on a daily basis.

Do you think people like getting up at 6 AM to then go to their 9-5 job that they absolutely hate?

You can't afford to keep asking your manager to let you do other things, he'll think you're the sort of person that will complain when you're given a task to do, and that will defintely look bad if he mentioned that in a reference.

My advice would be to just get on with the job you're being paid for and don't kick up a fuss over something so trvivial as fries. It's not lke you're being forced to do this without pay.

Also your manager may not want to be the bad guy but he has no choice.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by o Rebecca o
Everyone in a job may have to do something they don't enjoy on a daily basis.

Do you think people like getting up at 6 AM to then go to their 9-5 job that they absolutely hate?

You can't afford to keep asking your manager to let you do other things, he'll think you're the sort of person that will complain when you're given a task to do, and that will defintely look bad if he mentioned that in a reference.

My advice would be to just get on with the job you're being paid for and don't kick up a fuss over something so trvivial as fries. It's not lke you're being forced to do this without pay.

Also your manager may not want to be the bad guy but he has no choice.

I think risking asking the manager to do other things, and getting a reference as someone who could work in a number of roles within a team and interact well with customers would be better than getting a reference as someone who can cook and box fries.
Original post by Anonymous
You know why I don't think of doing that? If I contact my main business manager (the one who employed me), my store manager might be disappointed. I just feel guilty for doing that.

Then why are you asking for advice if you don't have a backbone to do anything, no wonder they treat you like crap.
Original post by Narcissist
I think risking asking the manager to do other things, and getting a reference as someone who could work in a number of roles within a team and interact well with customers would be better than getting a reference as someone who can cook and box fries.

Of course there's no harm in asking the manager once or twice. I said if she/he keeps on about it to the manager it may look bad. If you were a manager and some employee kept asking to move roles and wouldn't stop until you gave in then what would you think of that employee? A good employee, or an unreasonable one?

It seems like the manager isn't going to change his mind, so the OP should really just get on with the job, that's the smarter option.

Besides, someone has to be handling the fries and the OP was unfortunately given that role.
I'm loving all the people for whom a line-manager role at MaccyDs is the pinacle of a promising career.
Anon because I don't want my manager to find out. (My username is the same as my email address)

So, basically I'm working at McDonalds and have been working there for 4 months now. From my first day I've only been on fries. Making french fries every day and nothing else. I want to finally move to a different location. I'm not the kind of person who wants to stay at the same place. I want to progress in life. I want to work at the front counter and at the kitchen side.

My manager says that I won't be moved away from fries because nobody else wants to work there. What sort of reason is that? I didn't openly express my anger because I fear that this will affect my reference for future jobs etc.

Since I needed 3 months to find a job, I don't want to leave it just like that as I can't waste time for looking for another job again.

So, in this situation he can do anything with me without me having any rights really. If I disagree, he could kick me out or give me a bad reference for future. If I don't leave, I'm put at the fries forever. What to do?

Tl;dr: I'm working at McDonald's and I'm always put at the fry station, which I don't like. My manager doesn't want to move me and I can't leave the job as I don't think I'll find a job again.

Hey, I used to work at McDonald's.

I worked in a really busy city centre location so if someone had a kitchen shift they would get put on fries.

HOWEVER, even though we were a busy store, there wasn't always someone on fries becasue it wasn't always busy.

So I'm jus wondering how they get away with you always getting out on fries because theres not a demand for it 24 hours a day.

Also just complain to another shift manager, or the business manager, if not the store manager.

Your PR's comming up, so mention it then as well.
I worked in mcdonalds for a month.. i was only put on fries only once! I was taught how to do the cash till, how to make the chicken, how to handle the grill and i was also taught how to do the drive thru. Fries is the easiest thing and i used to love it. Anyways i only lasted there for a month coz i thought that this job is just not worth the money. After 3 weeks of hard work and looking for more jobs i got a job at a 5 star hotel as a waiter and I'm getting paid more than my manager at mcdonalds. ps: i live in nz
Do a bad job on fries. Not a terrible job, but just inattentiveness etc, and when the manager comes over to complain, let him know that you're bored so you're losing attention on fries. Fries all day is awful... it killed my wrists and I was constantly burnt. Try and get on grill, its the best place to be since you have plenty of people to talk to, and don't get constant manager supervision like you do on front counter!
Reply 48
Anon because I don't want my manager to find out. (My username is the same as my email address)

So, basically I'm working at McDonalds and have been working there for 4 months now. From my first day I've only been on fries. Making french fries every day and nothing else. I want to finally move to a different location. I'm not the kind of person who wants to stay at the same place. I want to progress in life. I want to work at the front counter and at the kitchen side.

My manager says that I won't be moved away from fries because nobody else wants to work there. What sort of reason is that? I didn't openly express my anger because I fear that this will affect my reference for future jobs etc.

Since I needed 3 months to find a job, I don't want to leave it just like that as I can't waste time for looking for another job again.

So, in this situation he can do anything with me without me having any rights really. If I disagree, he could kick me out or give me a bad reference for future. If I don't leave, I'm put at the fries forever. What to do?

Tl;dr: I'm working at McDonald's and I'm always put at the fry station, which I don't like. My manager doesn't want to move me and I can't leave the job as I don't think I'll find a job again.

Reading your post has only made me hungry for fries ad the nearest McD's is 200 yards down the road... so see you later.... x
get a doctors note to say you have bad wrists from overworking :smile: then need to be moved elsewhere which is less strenuous :smile:
Reply 50
Original post by BoltonFan123
get a doctors note to say you have bad wrists from overworking :smile: then need to be moved elsewhere which is less strenuous :smile:

Ow yeah? He would say I will have the same problem 'elsewhere' too. And how am I going to get that doctor's note by lyeing?
Reply 51
Original post by linkdapink
Do a bad job on fries. Not a terrible job, but just inattentiveness etc, and when the manager comes over to complain, let him know that you're bored so you're losing attention on fries. Fries all day is awful... it killed my wrists and I was constantly burnt. Try and get on grill, its the best place to be since you have plenty of people to talk to, and don't get constant manager supervision like you do on front counter!

I did that once, but my manager said, he would like me to improve there and then he will think of moving me. Turns out to be just an excuse to not move me at that time. He has a new excuse everytime.
Reply 52
Original post by merryhappy
Hey, I used to work at McDonald's.

I worked in a really busy city centre location so if someone had a kitchen shift they would get put on fries.

HOWEVER, even though we were a busy store, there wasn't always someone on fries becasue it wasn't always busy.

So I'm jus wondering how they get away with you always getting out on fries because theres not a demand for it 24 hours a day.

Also just complain to another shift manager, or the business manager, if not the store manager.

Your PR's comming up, so mention it then as well.

What's a PR? And I know that there is often no demand for someone to be on fries. I realised it when I once worked on the grill for a day and half and in that time nobody was ever on fries. I'm also often sent home earlier because the restaurant doesn't need me I guess, which is just ridiculous.
Reply 53
Original post by o Rebecca o
Of course there's no harm in asking the manager once or twice. I said if she/he keeps on about it to the manager it may look bad. If you were a manager and some employee kept asking to move roles and wouldn't stop until you gave in then what would you think of that employee? A good employee, or an unreasonable one?

It seems like the manager isn't going to change his mind, so the OP should really just get on with the job, that's the smarter option.

Besides, someone has to be handling the fries and the OP was unfortunately given that role.

For the rest of my career at mcd. Not really nice though.
Reply 54
Original post by youfatbastard
Then why are you asking for advice if you don't have a backbone to do anything, no wonder they treat you like crap.

Thanks for that. I appreciate it.

I asked for advise because I thought there might be something or some way of trying to persuade my manager to move me away from there or eventually some legal action if I could take. What I have found out from this thread is that there is a McDonalds employee HR number, which I could contact and that it is eventually better to risk it and ask him in order to get a reference that says I can work well everywhere, communicate well, work well as a team, etc. than to cook fries.

I have indeed got a lot out of this thread and know what I'm most likely going to do tomorrow when I return to work. Thanks for your great answer, but some people other than you have in fact understood my problem and are trying to help me.

i knw how u feel i used to work in the chicken side for 1 year :frown: but if uve speaked to ur manager they should try to help like mine i told them then they did something about it and put me on till and gave me other things to do, so its defo ur manager whos a dick..
What's a PR? And I know that there is often no demand for someone to be on fries. I realised it when I once worked on the grill for a day and half and in that time nobody was ever on fries. I'm also often sent home earlier because the restaurant doesn't need me I guess, which is just ridiculous.

PR = Preformance Review
As part of it, the manager who's doing the PR will ask you about your time in the restaurant, where you can tell them your queries. In your case the fries issue.

I doubt that manager who always puts you on fries is always working when you are. Do ALL the shift managers tell you to go on fries? Have you complained to the business manager?
Reply 57
Original post by merryhappy
PR = Preformance Review
As part of it, the manager who's doing the PR will ask you about your time in the restaurant, where you can tell them your queries. In your case the fries issue.

I doubt that manager who always puts you on fries is always working when you are. Do ALL the shift managers tell you to go on fries? Have you complained to the business manager?

No, it is only my store manager and assistant managers who want me to be on fries all the time. One shift manager even complained to them to move me from fries, as I didn't know anything else and in some busy times I still couldn't even make a simple hamburger. That made me go on the grill for one day but that was it.

Unless they get someone else on fries, I'm not seeing any opportunities to be moved from there. And other managers don't put me on fries, but whenever my store or assistant managers are here, they would put me on fries.
You didn't mention whether you work part-time or full time, or how long you've been working there for. If it's not been long, and it's only been a part-time job, you don't have to mention you worked there when you apply for new jobs.
Reply 59
Original post by PinkFriday
You didn't mention whether you work part-time or full time, or how long you've been working there for. If it's not been long, and it's only been a part-time job, you don't have to mention you worked there when you apply for new jobs.

It's full time and the amount of time I've been working there is in my first line of 2nd paragraph.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending