The Student Room Group

Take Maths at AS in my A2 Year?

Hi,

I need advice on the question asked in the title.

I took Phyics, Computing, Business, Economics and (forced to take) Critical Thinking.

I'm dropping Critical Thinking and Economics next year and taking General Studies as well.

I want to join the RAF, and despite the high costs, I do want to go to University.

Well I started looking at University courses which are Aviation themed, and ALL but 2 courses I have found want Maths, which, by the advice of my teacher at GCSE, I didn't take Maths at AS Level.

2 courses (of the ones I have found) say they are happy with Physics OR Maths.

My question is, would it be a good idea to take Maths at AS Level in my A2 year, or should I just keep my attention on A2 subjects?

Opinions are welcome.

Thanks!
Kyle

P.S. I will probably apply for the University Bursaries that the RAF offer, and try join a UAS.
Reply 1
Maths AS is very easy. It won't take you very long to master at all. You''l have to do C1 C2 and one additional applied unit (M1 S1 D1). You can guarantee getting over 90% UMS in each module if you do all the mixed exercises and review questions in the book as well as all the past papers.
Reply 2
Yeah, I agree with Moiiu. To do the AS isn't difficult at all and easy to do within one year. And I think it'll defiantly be worth it. If you like and can do physics, then maths should be simple for you. :smile:

I hope that helps. Good luck. :smile:
Reply 3
Would you agree that universities are more likely to give me a chance because I have done AS Maths?

Thanks for the replies btw.
Reply 4
AS maths is pretty easy, especially if you did Additional Maths at GCSE. I don;t think you'd struggle too much.
Reply 5
Original post by Kyle_Sugden
Would you agree that universities are more likely to give me a chance because I have done AS Maths?

Thanks for the replies btw.

Yes. But it also depends on exactly what they are asking for. If they want an A level in maths, then you must have a full A level. But if they just want you to have done some form of maths, then the AS will be perfect. Its simple and doesn't take up much time. :smile: But I would double/triple check exactly what type of maths they want. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Helsy
Yes. But it also depends on exactly what they are asking for. If they want an A level in maths, then you must have a full A level. But if they just want you to have done some form of maths, then the AS will be perfect. Its simple and doesn't take up much time. :smile: But I would double/triple check exactly what type of maths they want. :smile:

Thanks.

Should I drop another subject to take AS Maths or just take AS Maths along with my other A2 Subjects?

(Not directing that question at you, just generally :L )

Thanks Again.
Reply 7
Thanks.

Should I drop another subject to take AS Maths or just take AS Maths along with my other A2 Subjects?

(Not directing that question at you, just generally :L )

Thanks Again.

You probably don't need to, as the AS is simple and General Studies is also simple. :smile:
Reply 8
Hi,

I need advice on the question asked in the title.

What was your GCSE maths grade?

Would you be able to attend lessons for AS level maths or would you have to teach yourself?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
I got an A in Maths GCSE,

and probably be able to attend all lessons
AS is easy (it's bastarding C4 that's ruining my life) go for it :smile: c1 and c2 can be done in a couple of weeks (c1 is basically GCSE, c2 is a bit harder but not much) , If I were you I'd so s1 as well, it's boring as hell but the easiest applied module by far, and seeing as you need to be concentrating on your other A2 exams easy but boring seems the most sensible

edit: maybe have a flick through the textbooks to get an idea of what you'll need to learn, then decide
Reply 11
I got an A in Maths GCSE,

and probably be able to attend all lessons

go for it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending