The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Can't decide which uni: LSE vs. UCL (vs. Warwick vs. St Andrews vs. Cambridge)

Hi guys,

I am about to complete my undergraduate studies in industrial engineering in Germany and want to pursue my postgrad studies in Britain. I have some really interesting offers but I can't decide which option is the best regarding career prospects and chances to proceed with a doctorate as I still want to leave this option open. Some of the Unis expect me to decide within some weeks, so I really have to make up my mind.
I have conditional offers for a MSc in Management Science - Operational Research from the LSE and for a MSc in Technology Entrepreneurship from the UCL. I tend towards these two courses as both are really renowned and offer interesting study opportunities. I also have offers from Warwick to study Business Engineering and from St Andrews for a MSc in Computer Science and Management. I haven't heard anything from Cambridge regarding my application for a MPhil in industrial systems, manufacture and management yet and don't know about my chances. I picked these courses as they are suitable with my undergrad degree and include interesting modules and content.
I would appreciate any help and decision guidance. Before I read up on unis in Britain, I had only heard about the LSE. I know that all four are great schools, but there isn't much more I can base my decision on. Which is the most superior one, which one offers the best career options in Europe (especially in Germany/Switzerland), which programme would allow to enter a PhD programme at a reputable uni in both in UK and in the rest of Europe. I am reading articles, going through forums and collecting information but still could use some help.
How reputable are for instance the LSE and UCL in Britain? UCL kicks ass in every ranking, but I always thought that LSE is world class (but it does poorly on rankings). I know that I shouldn't build my decision on rankings, but I am desperate.
I am greatful for any response.
Reply 1
You did industrial engineering and want to go to LSE but not Imperial?

What does the industrial part imply?

ps viel glueck fuer cambridge
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2
I haven't applied for Imperial as I searched for suitable courses at reputable universities, and Imperial doesn't offer anything interesting for what Germans call a "Wirtschaftsingenieur".. The courses are either too focused on a specific engineering discipline or only deal with managerial issues. That's why OR at LSE :smile:

PS: Danke dir :smile:)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Hacki
I haven't applied for Imperial as I searched for suitable courses at reputable universities, and Imperial doesn't offer anything interesting for what Germans call a "Wirtschaftsingenieur".. The courses are either too focused on a specific engineering discipline or only deal with managerial issues. That's why OR at LSE :smile:

PS: Danke dir :smile:)

Yes OR is very sought after, very applied and useful stuff.
Reply 4
In a nutshell:

Cambridge > LSE > Warwick = UCL >>> St Andrews

Other than St Andrews, which, btw, is also a fantastic university but not quite popular amongst the top employers, Cambridge, LSE, Warwick and UCL offer amazing opportunities after graduation. I'd pick Cambridge if I will get an offer from them. If not, it's either LSE or Warwick for me.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Based purely on reputation as you stated, LSE.
Reply 6
So LSE > UCL? And MSc OR >= MSc Tech. Entr.?
I mean all the time I was in favor for LSE, and if you do tell me that it sure is the best uni amongst the four, I think there is not much of a problem..
Reply 7
I wonder what the issue was for those two (anonymous) members who neg rep me. I wish they were mature enough to say what their objection was with regards to my statements.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Yep, if they disagree, they should share their opinions with us.. It'd certainly help..
Reply 9
Original post by Mr. Roxas
In a nutshell:

Other than St Andrews, which, btw, is also a fantastic university but not quite popular amongst the top employers, Cambridge, LSE, Warwick and UCL offer amazing opportunities after graduation. I'd pick Cambridge if I will get an offer from them. If not, it's either LSE or Warwick for me.

Couldn't agree more.
Reply 10
In a nutshell:

To back this up, allow me to share the study conducted by High Fliers which gathered polls from top employers. Here's a short script from the article/report:

Table 4.2 Universities Targeted by the Largest Number of Top Employers in 2010-2011

The top five universities targeted by the largest number of leading employers during the 2010-2011 recruitment round are Cambridge, Warwick, Manchester, London (which for this analysis refers to Imperial College, the London School of Economics and the University of London) and Oxford.

These universities have attracted the largest number of top employers for campus careers fairs, local presentations or other university recruitment promotions. Other popular institutions with employers include Nottingham, Bristol, Bath, Durham and Leeds.

Neither St Andrews or Lancaster which are ranked fourth and tenth respectively in The Times Good University Guide 2011 appear within the top twenty universities most-targeted by the UK’s leading employers.

1. Cambridge
2. Warwick
3. Manchester
4. London
5. Oxford
6. Nottingham
7. Bristol
8. Bath
9. Durham
10. Leeds

http://www.highfliers.co.uk/download/GMReport11.pdf
Reply 11
Obviously, you've got a point Mr. Roxas. But I think that things look a little differently when you consider career prospects outside of the UK. I am not planning on working in Britain all my life and I wouldn't say that this ranking is valid for Germany/Switzerland/(France). Warwick for example is quite unknown around here.
Reply 12
Original post by Hacki
Obviously, you've got a point Mr. Roxas. But I think that things look a little differently when you consider career prospects outside of the UK. I am not planning on working in Britain all my life and I wouldn't say that this ranking is valid for Germany/Switzerland/(France). Warwick for example is quite unknown around here.

If they haven't heard of Warwick, they probably haven't heard of the universities you mentioned either, except for Cambridge and LSE, which really are popular internationally. If you, however, would be applying to a large, very successful companies of multi-national level, chances are, the top honchos and HRD Heads of that company have heard of Warwick and have heard of it as a highly respected university hosting top scholars from around the world.

Now, if you do not wish to work in a large corporate set-up, then neither degree is advisable for you. In other words, you don't even need to aim for a Cambridge diploma if you only wish to work in a small time company in your country. The places you aim for would prepare you for future careers in large corporations and organizations. That's where you would be able to value the education you attained from those universities.

I guess you have to assess first why you think you feel obliged to have a master's degree from a highly reputable, very expensive, offering very rigorous training university in the UK.
UCL.
If they haven't heard of Warwick, they probably haven't heard of the universities you mentioned either, except for Cambridge and LSE, which really are popular internationally. If you, however, would be applying to a large, very successful companies of multi-national level, chances are, the top honchos and HRD Heads of that company have heard of Warwick and have heard of it as a highly respected university hosting top scholars from around the world.

Now, if you do not wish to work in a large corporate set-up, then neither degree is advisable for you. In other words, you don't even need to aim for a Cambridge diploma if you only wish to work in a small time company in your country. The places you aim for would prepare you for future careers in large corporations and organizations. That's where you would be able to value the education you attained from those universities.

I guess you have to assess first why you think you feel obliged to have a master's degree from a highly reputable, very expensive, offering very rigorous training university in the UK.

Hm, I just wanted to add, that you don't need to go to a UK university to work "in large corporations and organizations", because every country has it's well known universities with connections. In addition it isn't the worst way to start working in a small company, where you can get more responsibilty which works in favor of you appllying later to jobs in bigger companies. (In Germany, Switzerland, Austria a master is much much more obligatory than in the UK. It doesn't make you special.)
Of course Warwick is quite well known and the employers know more universities than just the big names, everyone thinks of being the best, albeit they might not be in special fields.

I think looking for a doctorate it is important to make sure that the degree is scientific enough, so that you can compete for PHDs which are paid for, if that matters.
Reply 15
I think looking for a doctorate it is important to make sure that the degree is scientific enough, so that you can compete for PHDs which are paid for, if that matters.

Hmm that does matter. That is why I am sceptical if the degrees from UCL and Cambridge would provide enough scientific knowledge to pursue doctorate studies as both are vocational and applied. The MPhil course at cambridge e.g. includes field studies and plant visits. I think this is highly interesting and can be a big advantage in the early years of my career, but it could diminish my chances to do a PhD..

And it isn't a topic of conversation IF i will study in Britain, the question should solely focus on where. I haven't applied without evaluating the career prospects, my aims, my future goals. The universities in the UK are arguably among the best in Europe, and I do want to work successfully either in industry or in the field of science, which I don't know yet. And I am sure that I would have the best chances to do both after graduating from a top UK uni. And the money isn't a problem as I have already secured a scholarship.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending