The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

K101 Anyone?

Scroll to see replies

Hi everyone

I am also planning on studying K101 this October. I have previously completed a 10 point access course in 'Understanding Children' a few years ago but am looking forward to embarking on what could be a career change into the world of Social work.

It would be great to get to know other people who will be studying the course for support, study advice, etc.

Martyn :-)
(edited 8 years ago)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 21
Original post by martynscotland
Hi everyone

I am also planning on studying K101 this October. I have previously completed a 10 point access course in 'Understanding Children' a few years ago but am looking forward to embarking on what could be a career change into the world of Social work.

It would be great to get to know other people who will be studying the course for support, study advice, etc.

Martyn :-)

Good luck on your journey! I can't wait to start.
Karllie
Original post by kazie87
Good luck on your journey! I can't wait to start.
Karllie

Thanks Karllie - and to you too. :-)

I just want October to hurry up so I can get started with the course.. ;-)

Martyn
Reply 23
Thankyou , have u joined k101 group on Facebook?
Original post by kazie87
Thankyou , have u joined k101 group on Facebook?

I've just requested to join the group - look forward to getting to know you and the other students :smile:
Reply 25
Good for you, me too, Im a bit older with 3 kids, not which career path im taking but i would like something different as I was a nursery nurse for 14 years, Im looking forward to starting :smile:
If you do the k101 and k117 does that allow you to go straight into 2nd year nursing ?
Reply 27
Hi,
I also am hoping to start the k101. I see this is a very old thread but with a few recent replies. I am struggling to find info on funding and on calling the OU and Student Finance England they seem to think I cant get funding for K101 only the next qualification up which is the Cert HE. They seem to think I would need to pay in full rather than be able to get a tuition fee/student loan.
I only have 3 days left to confirm everything before registration closes. Any advice would be very much appreciated! Did you manage to sort funding?
Amy.
Reply 28
Hi Hun am in the same situation so confused but very interested to go ahead with it. Don't know really what to expect and what happens now cuz I left education in 1999 eek!!
Hi,

Yes me too. I'm just coming to the end of K101 now and have registered for the next block.
Original post by WonderlandAmy
I've signed up to start K101 this October, anyone else?

This is my first OU course, i'm 23 and haven't been in education since i was 17, i've been busy having babies!

Doing K101 as a first step towards my goal of becoming a midwife :smile:

Hiya!!! I've been looking into doing a K101 as the University I am looking to go to suggests this is most popular. However I already have an NVQ Level 2 in Heath and social care, so would it be right for me to go for it?
What is the cost of this course thanks
Reply 32
I completed the K101 in June this year and this has been the best course I have done. I really enjoyed the material which was good and easy to understand and the tutors were very helpful. I was 6 months pregnant when I started it but I managed to finish it and I have applied to do adult nursing at my chosen universities which all accept the K101 alongside 5GCSEs including Maths and English at grade Cand above. This course has made me confident in writing my personal statement as it teaches a lot on the health care and many case studies and I remember we did do a topic on unacceptable care and they mentioned the Francis report which is important to mention when doing your personal statement, you learn a lot of academic skills like referencing hence universities recommend it. It's a lot of skills I can't finish them but please go for it, you will definitely enjoy it
Hey! Same here :smile: starting in October and hoping to gain a career in social work! Hoping il be able to juggle studying, work and being a mum haha!
Hiya, I am also starting in October, crazy nervous. Been bringing my daughter up and now finally getting round to doing something I want to do :smile:
Hey Stuart! Exciting but scary stuff ay! Yeah it’s hard juggling career with little ones! It should be good :smile: I’ve just received the books!
Hi Rach, Yes have my books now also whoop whoop!!! I know what you mean juggling been there with that one. I have just left my old job going to go back to self employed alongside my studies, should be able to manage time a bit better hopefully. Have a great day :smile:
Hi everyone,I am wondering if this is the type of OU course where you get only 3 options at the end: Distinction, Pass or fail or where you can get 5 options: Distinction, Pass 2, Pass 3, Pass 4 or FailDoes anyone know?I'm starting this in October by the way... :-)
Original post by zulukotka
Hi everyone,I am wondering if this is the type of OU course where you get only 3 options at the end: Distinction, Pass or fail or where you can get 5 options: Distinction, Pass 2, Pass 3, Pass 4 or FailDoes anyone know?I'm starting this in October by the way... :-)

In 2017, the only results were Distinction, Pass, and Fail. (And the failure rate was 6%, so it's almost only a Distinction/Pass module.)
Hiya, I am also signed up to K101 and I am also hoping to use it as a stepping stone into nursing, mental health probably. I can't do the full nursing degree workload around 4 children so going to study the health and social care degree while the kids are little then hopefully do a fast track nursing course eventually. I have recently started a job as a support worker in a mental health care home so will use that to gain experience.
Really excited to start this course, fingers crossed its not too challenging as its been a long while since I studied lol :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending