The Student Room Group

AS and A2 how much exams are there?

Hello all,

My first question is, how much exams is there in one subject in AS and A2?

My second question is that if you do the exam on january when are the results going to be issued in order to do the UCAS?

Thanks.
It depends upon the subject but usually most AS/A2 exams have 2 modules one in jan and one in june and when you do the jan exam you get your results in March but the universities do not find out about these grades until you get a full grade i.e. you do the june exam which totals for an AS.
Reply 2
I am going to take English Lit + French language + History, now I don't get it, what's AQA because I surfed CIE's website and the only thing I've seen is that the exams are done on November and May I haven't seen on january...

And how can I do all of the exams in one year if there are 2 modules?
And in thos 2 modules how much exam paper is there in each?

I am a private candidate, and I am already in year 12 which is coming to end, but I am going to start the A levels...
Reply 3
Original post by d.luffy
I am going to take English Lit + French language + History, now I don't get it, what's AQA because I surfed CIE's website and the only thing I've seen is that the exams are done on November and May I haven't seen on january...

And how can I do all of the exams in one year if there are 2 modules?
And in thos 2 modules how much exam paper is there in each?

I am a private candidate, and I am already in year 12 which is coming to end, but I am going to start the A levels...

You will not normally have results in time for UCAS - students make applications based on their first year results (AS) and the predictions that their teachers make for what they should achieve in the full A level. You will need to contact Universities to see how they will perceive your application without any results or presumably any teacher predictions.

A levels are designed to be studied and examined over 2 years. You can take all of the exams at the end of your study (which is common for international students) or in modular fashion spread through the course (which is more typical for UK students). There is no requirement to take 2 years to study if you think you will be ready sooner.

If you are not in UK you can only take A level with CIE or Edexcel
CIE have exams in November and May
http://www.cie.org.uk/qualifications/academic/uppersec/alevel
Edexcel have exams in January and May/June
http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce08/Pages/default.aspx

You should read the relevant content specifications to understand what you need to study and the exams/practical tests/coursework assessments that make up your chosen subjects. There are many differences between Edexcel and CIE.

You can't do AQA or OCR unless you are in the UK as they don't offer them internationally.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by gdunne42
You will not normally have results in time for UCAS - students make applications based on their first year results (AS) and the predictions that their teachers make for what they should achieve in the full A level. You will need to contact Universities to see how they will perceive your application without any results or presumably any teacher predictions.

A levels are designed to be studied and examined over 2 years. You can take all of the exams at the end of your study (which is common for international students) or in modular fashion spread through the course (which is more typical for UK students). There is no requirement to take 2 years to study if you think you will be ready sooner.

If you are not in UK you can only take A level with CIE or Edexcel
CIE have exams in November and May
http://www.cie.org.uk/qualifications/academic/uppersec/alevel
Edexcel have exams in January and May/June
http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce08/Pages/default.aspx

You should read the relevant content specifications to understand what you need to study and the exams/practical tests/coursework assessments that make up your chosen subjects. There are many differences between Edexcel and CIE.

You can't do AQA or OCR unless you are in the UK as they don't offer them internationally.

Ok I see now, in order to the AQA I have to be in UK.

But how do students who do one year of A levels enter university? I mean I know its based on 2 years but there are students who get in, in one year, and they manage to get there results ...etc

Since my best deal is to do edexcel what is all the difference altogether between CIE, EDEXCEL or AQA?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by d.luffy

But how do students who do one year of A levels enter university?

I don't know

Original post by d.luffy

Since my best deal is to do edexcel what is all the difference altogether between CIE, EDEXCEL or AQA?

Edexcel has a reputation of being easier than CIE.
There are many differences in content and how it is examined.
Read the specifications to find out the details for your chosen subjects.
Reply 6
I don't know

Edexcel has a reputation of being easier than CIE.
There are many differences in content and how it is examined.
Read the specifications to find out the details for your chosen subjects.

Ok but universities will think of them A levels as all together right? or Each kind has his own goal like AQA or CIE or Edexcel?
Reply 7
Although each of their specifications has it's own unique content and assesssment etc UK Universities do not care which awarding body your A level comes from. They are all viewed as equal.
Reply 8
Although each of their specifications has it's own unique content and assesssment etc UK Universities do not care which awarding body your A level comes from. They are all viewed as equal.

Ok thanks alot that seems very helpful.

Though I still don't know how much papers is there in one module? like in AS?
Well I had 2 in January and 11 in May/June - naturally this differs by subject and number of AS subjects.
Reply 10
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
Well I had 2 in January and 11 in May/June - naturally this differs by subject and number of AS subjects.

Well how much subjects did you do? I am taking 3 subjects...
Original post by d.luffy
Well how much subjects did you do? I am taking 3 subjects...

Five (see sig) and a supplementary.

Per subject generally ranges between one and three each year.
Reply 12
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
Five (see sig) and a supplementary.

Per subject generally ranges between one and three each year.

ok now it make sense 9 paper for 3 subjects that okay.

Btw, guys do you think doing A levels in college is better then doing it at home? like what if college is cheaper then doing it at home? what would you guys do? but most important of all where do you think you would achieve A's?
Original post by d.luffy
ok now it make sense 9 paper for 3 subjects that okay.

Btw, guys do you think doing A levels in college is better then doing it at home? like what if college is cheaper then doing it at home? what would you guys do? but most important of all where do you think you would achieve A's?

By home I assume you mean teaching yourself. In which case, definitely college. You'll never be able to replace the value that having someone who has years of experience in the subject teach you gives.
Reply 14
Original post by KwamiOdoom
By home I assume you mean teaching yourself. In which case, definitely college. You'll never be able to replace the value that having someone who has years of experience in the subject teach you gives.

Hmm by home I also mean bringing tutors but it seems going to college is cheaper... then bringing tutors ... thats why I was asking. But thanks.

What sometimes I am afraid and actually happened to me is that I am afraid the school just don't have good teachers, like last year I lost one year because of the teachers weren't good and I failed ... thats the only thing.

Quick Reply