The Student Room Group

Learning Anatomy

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Wangers
Pfft, try doing head, neck and the intracranial compartment in a week.

You're not serious. That's impossible.
Original post by Lil08

It's not impossible, but i doubt you could do it to a very good standard.
Reply 82
Original post by Wangers
Pfft, try doing head, neck and the intracranial compartment in a week.

:hi:, It may have been 2 but I've blocked certain weeks from my mind
Reply 83
Original post by Lil08

Perfectly serious. 2nd year is just sheer brute work. We were tested on it to the same standard as the rest of the anatomy. You would get 30 seconds to look at a skull with a pin in somewhere and decide - What is the innervation to the muscle which arises here? Or there is a lesion in this nerve, what is the most likely clinical effect?
I agree that Acland's is awesome, but I wouldn't use it until you get to uni. I got the Grey's Anatomy Flashcards and learnt the bones, some of the larger muscles and the directional descriptors like superior, anterior, abduct, distal etc., so I could orientate myself when it came to learning specifics later in the course. It helped me. It's true there is so much to learn, it's silly to try and tackle it all at once on your own, but there's no harm in learning the basics. If you have a smart phone I'd reccommend Speed Anatomy. And the colouring book is a must. Ovaries shall be forever purple. If they are not purple, they are not ovaries :smile:
Reply 85
Original post by ilovehotchocolate
the directional descriptors like superior, anterior, abduct, distal etc.,

That's what I've tried to learn - just definitions and stuff. I don't want to try and learn anything more complicated because I'm afraid I might "learn it wrong" (if that makes sense) and I'll end up getting right confused when I'm re-taught it later in the course.
Reply 86
Original post by Beska
That's what I've tried to learn - just definitions and stuff. I don't want to try and learn anything more complicated because I'm afraid I might "learn it wrong" (if that makes sense) and I'll end up getting right confused when I'm re-taught it later in the course.

I used the hip abductor and the hip adductor at the gym yesterday. I've already forgotten which one is which :facepalm:

Bring on September!
Reply 87
Original post by _lynx_
I used the hip abductor and the hip adductor at the gym yesterday. I've already forgotten which one is which :facepalm:

Bring on September!

Broadly:
Adduction is coming towards you: adding to you.
Abduction is taken away from you: abducted.

Our professor of anatomy told us to remember it that way :p:
Original post by _lynx_

Bring on September!

Abductor - limb goes away from the median plane. I think about my arms going away from my sides and I'm inflating like a Balloon. aBduct - Balloon.
Supinate - palms up - like you're holding soup in your hands
Pronate - palms down - like you are a pro basketball player dribbling the ball.
:redface:
Reply 89
Original post by Kinkerz
Broadly:

When I think abduction, I'll think of hip abduction. When my legs are opening, my balls are prone to being abducted. Now why do I get the feeling that inappropriate mnemonics are going to become a large part of my life?

Original post by ilovehotchocolate
Abductor - limb goes away from the median plane. I think about my arms going away from my sides and I'm inflating like a Balloon. aBduct - Balloon.
Supinate - palms up - like you're holding soup in your hands
Pronate - palms down - like you are a pro basketball player dribbling the ball.

:redface:
Haha, I like that! Oh, learning anatomy is going to be too much fun..

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 90
Hope it will be fun rather than a headache.
Reply 91
Original post by _lynx_
When I think abduction, I'll think of hip abduction. When my legs are opening, my balls are prone to being abducted. Now why do I get the feeling that inappropriate mnemonics are going to become a large part of my life?

Wait until you get to cranial nerves :colone:
Original post by Kinkerz
Broadly:

Thats how we learnt it too, our anatomy faccilitator told us this in the first session and it stuck!
Original post by Kinkerz

Oh Oh Oh, I love the cranial nerve one haha :smile:
Reply 94
Original post by Kinkerz

or the branches of the external carotid
Original post by carcinoma
Oh Oh Oh, I love the cranial nerve one haha :smile:

:rofl:
Original post by Lantana
or the branches of the external carotid

What's difficult about that? :\ Unless I've done this in no detail :frown:

Learning spinal anatomy including tracts and pathways in the brain is the big killer!
Reply 96
Original post by sohanshah
What's difficult about that? :\ Unless I've done this in no detail :frown:

Learning spinal anatomy including tracts and pathways in the brain is the big killer!

It's not difficult, just inappropriate XD

I dislike the spinal pathways - I still don't really get it - Well neurology is off my list :yep:
Reply 97
Original post by Lantana
It's not difficult, just inappropriate XD

I dislike the spinal pathways - I still don't really get it - Well neurology is off my list :yep:

Spinothalamic - crosses in the spine. - loss is otherside
Dorsal Colums - DON'T cross in the spine - same side.

This is why you get Brown-Sequard for pure spinal hemisection.

Simples :smile:
Reply 98
Original post by Wangers
Spinothalamic - crosses in the spine. - loss is otherside
Dorsal Colums - DON'T cross in the spine - same side.

This is why you get Brown-Sequard for pure spinal hemisection.

Simples :smile:

:love:
Reply 99
Got a neuroanatomy exam coming up soon. Any tips on how to crack that would be much much appreciated.

I tried learning from the Grays (bible) but it's very difficult to visualize as the images are terrible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending