The Student Room Group

Latin A2 AHHHHH

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
As it's been said, ictus and accent is just the conflict between natural and metrical stress. You'd have to learn a whole load of other rules like the scansion ones in order to know the natural stresses, so I really don't see the point as it's just a bonus.

Does anyone know whether if we do the Ovid first we have to write the question order reversed on the front of the answer booklets? Trivial, but I'd quite like to know.
Reply 41
Hello - about the Virgil essay question, what sort of things are people preparing?
Seeing as Aeneas' leadership came up last year, I'm guessing it's unlikely that Aeneas' character/Aeneas as a hero will come up this year.
Can they ask anything general about Augustus / historical context? That'd be so awful!
Reply 42
Original post by JF24
Does anyone know whether if we do the Ovid first we have to write the question order reversed on the front of the answer booklets? Trivial, but I'd quite like to know.

Yes, think so. 3, 1, 2 - that's what I'm going to do.
Original post by Tomorrow
Hello - about the Virgil essay question, what sort of things are people preparing?
Seeing as Aeneas' leadership came up last year, I'm guessing it's unlikely that Aeneas' character/Aeneas as a hero will come up this year.
Can they ask anything general about Augustus / historical context? That'd be so awful!

As far as I know, yes they can. I had that in one of my mocks. I take Classics as well though, so I've done the whole of The Aeneid in English anyway, so I wouldn't mind if a question like that came up. To be honest, I'd like it to, seeing as it might bring the grade boundaries down pretty low. :/
Reply 44
Hi guys, good luck to everyone. I suspect we're going to need it...

... do you think they might forget and accidentally give us the first bit of Metamorphoses 8? That would be so, so brilliant...
Original post by AfterDeath
Hi guys, good luck to everyone. I suspect we're going to need it...

... do you think they might forget and accidentally give us the first bit of Metamorphoses 8? That would be so, so brilliant...

... damn you, now I'm terrified in case we do! XD

No, seriously thanks for the luck, same to you. I personally hope we get something from Amores since it's the most logical one to translate and I'm more likely to have at least encountered it before. Also would really love a context related essay seeing as that would probably bring the grade boundary lower.

Time will tell, this time tomorrow it will all be done and no doubt we'll be doing a post mortem over here and dorwning our sorrows with our preferred beverages. :s
Reply 46
Original post by philly.tidd
ALSO does anyone know what clash of ictus and accent is, and how to identify this? This is something that was mentioned in an examiner report as important, and something that a lot of people apparently missed...
Quote me if you reply ! Thanks

Our teacher said to completely ignore the ictus thing because we shouldn't be expected to know that, and even so, if you get all the feet right apart from one or two you still get full marks.
Reply 47
Best of luck to everyone today :]
Reply 48
Good luck chaps :smile:
well, that wasn't too horrifically awful! at least such a good Catullus set of q's came up
Well, it could have been worse. I honestly don't think there's anything more that I could have done, so I'm just going to forget about it until results day seeing as it will be impossible to know how I've done until then. :smile:
Reply 51
Original post by Salvius
Aha thanks! I thought it might be :smile: . Haha, exactly! Ovid is a total nightmare. The problem is, it really could mean anything! If you don't know a bit of vocab/understand the context, it is very easy to misinterpret the whole thing...:s-smilie: I am very worried! The Venus question wouldn't be bad! I just hope it's not a hideous question involving fate :eek: It's a shame the Aeneas question came up last year...

Latin really is a lot more work than other subjects...especially if you leave learning the set texts late :frown:

Good luck everyone! I hope the Ovid is do-able- maybe it'll be a recognisable story so i don't mistake reading for foraging again...:rolleyes:(legere)

Hiiiii :hi: I found you :P You and your funny mistakes :smile:

Did anyone else think it was ok but a couple of lines in the Ovid were tricky?
Virgil questions were a godsend.

This is a translation of the Ovid if anyone's interested:

Arion’s fame had filled the cities of Sicily,
And charmed the Italian shores with the sound of his lyre:
Travelling back from there, he boarded a ship
Carrying with him the wealth won by his art.
Unhappy one, perhaps you feared the wind and waves,
But the sea, in truth, was safer for you than your ship.
Since the steersman stood there with naked blade,
And the rest of that crew of conspirators were armed.
Why draw that blade? Seaman, steer the wandering vessel:
That weapon is not appropriate in your hands.
Trembling with fear, Arion said: ‘I don’t plead for life,
But let me take up my lyre and play a little.’
They granted it, laughing at the delay. He took the wreath
That might have graced your tresses, Phoebus:
At once, he plunged, fully clothed into the waves:
The water, leaping, splashed the sky-blue stern.
Then (beyond belief) they say a dolphin
Yielded its back to the unaccustomed weight.
Sitting there, Arion gripped the lyre, and paid his fare
In song, soothing the ocean waves with his singing.

enjoy :smile:
Reply 52
Original post by eve_m
Hiiiii :hi: I found you :P You and your funny mistakes :smile:

Did anyone else think it was ok but a couple of lines in the Ovid were tricky?
Virgil questions were a godsend.

This is a translation of the Ovid if anyone's interested:

Arion’s fame had filled the cities of Sicily,
And charmed the Italian shores with the sound of his lyre:
Travelling back from there, he boarded a ship
Carrying with him the wealth won by his art.
Unhappy one, perhaps you feared the wind and waves,
But the sea, in truth, was safer for you than your ship.
Since the steersman stood there with naked blade,
And the rest of that crew of conspirators were armed.
Why draw that blade? Seaman, steer the wandering vessel:
That weapon is not appropriate in your hands.
Trembling with fear, Arion said: ‘I don’t plead for life,
But let me take up my lyre and play a little.’
They granted it, laughing at the delay. He took the wreath
That might have graced your tresses, Phoebus:
At once, he plunged, fully clothed into the waves:
The water, leaping, splashed the sky-blue stern.
Then (beyond belief) they say a dolphin
Yielded its back to the unaccustomed weight.
Sitting there, Arion gripped the lyre, and paid his fare
In song, soothing the ocean waves with his singing.

enjoy :smile:

What did you write for the 2nd Virgil question? I felt like i didn't quite write enough :/ I included the beginning, and Venus' plea to Jupiter and her machinations at the end, and the storm, and the given passage obvs
Reply 53
Well the Ovid was... A standard nasty Ovid unseen.

Some GREAT Aeneid questions though :smile:
Reply 54
Original post by aliceb
What did you write for the 2nd Virgil question? I felt like i didn't quite write enough :/ I included the beginning, and Venus' plea to Jupiter and her machinations at the end, and the storm, and the given passage obvs

I said soooo much about the passage given (maybe too much?) because it's literally my favourite bit to analyse in the whole of the Aeneid. Then did something about the rest of Jupiter's speech, tied in with Venus' before it and the proem at the beginning, like you. Talked a little bit about the storm and how it's a less optimistic bit, but then said that the focus on Aeneas' trials make Rome's greatness more impressive (tenuous argument but whatever haha :smile:). Then talked about Aeneas' values and morality and how they're passed down to Augustan Rome.
But yeah, like you, I felt like I didn't write enough, at least on the rest of the Aeneid if not the passage. I was quite lucky because our teacher made us write an extra, mahoosive essay on the Aeneid as propaganda, which I looked at this morning, and was very helpful :redface:
Sounds like you wrote a good essay though, I wouldn't worry :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 55
Original post by aliceb

I did the same as you - it was a bit unnerving as there wasn't really much to write about the English passages. I talked a bit more about how the Jupiter prophesy continues.
Reply 56
Original post by JF24
I did the same as you - it was a bit unnerving as there wasn't really much to write about the English passages. I talked a bit more about how the Jupiter prophesy continues.

I thought this too! I didn't mention any of the English passages, I'm hoping they don't take that to mean that I don't know them...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 57
Original post by JF24

Yeah, the only english passage I mentioned is the end of the book, when Venus makes Dido fall in love with Aeneas, tried to relate it to the q by saying that she's not confident in the prophecy so she has to intervene.
Reply 58
Found the Catullus questions were fairly generous and went ok, Ovid unseen for the most part was good apart from the one line about the curved back etc which i completely fudged.
Original post by eve_m
I thought this too! I didn't mention any of the English passages, I'm hoping they don't take that to mean that I don't know them...

I mentioned one or two things but there wasn't much that was really relevant. Neptune got a mention, but that was it really. I don't think it matter unless there's a key point in the English passages that you miss out, I can't imagine you'd be marked down for not using them considering there wasn't really anything to write about! :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending