The Student Room Group

A-level Mathematics (what was I thinking...)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by kaosu_souzousha
A-Level mathematics teaches you the solid basics which are then applied for more advanced principles.

Integration, Three dimensional Geometry, Numerical methods, Differential equations are basically the fundamental blocks of all the sciences and engineering. Like somebody mentioned before, Computing is purely based on mathematics. Say, Eigenvectors, Matrices, Transformations which are taught at A-level are used in producing graphical simulations. Numerical method, Linear interpolation (A-level topic), is used in engineering to program CNC machines (manufacturing).

Have I used A-level mathematics anywhere? Yes, during my industrial placement in the manufacturing industry of reinforced concrete . How? I was estimating the percentage error for the smoothness of the panel surface. And it is just one example.

For a practical type of person like me it is easy to see where I can apply the obtained knowledge. Hence I am an engineering applicant.

You are not wrong.
Reply 81
You posted this under the math section, trying to hunt for neg rep I see.
Reply 82
Original post by Nayred
You are not wrong.

You're an arrogant c*ck. It's not always about whether or not you can remember how to do the subject when you get to applying for a job, it's more about showing that you can comprehend difficult things, and a Maths A level is one of the best ways to go about doing that.

Not some half arsed A level like ICT, which you could probably train a frigging monkey to be able to do.
Original post by Nayred
I'm barely scraping an A in GCSE Maths and I picked A-level Maths. IMO it's a complete waste of time, impracticable and useless in later life. It may impress employers but an A/A* in GCSE Maths is sufficient enough to prove that you are not mathematically inept. I'm going to change my A-level option ASAP. Most people who do it find it miserable, hard and boring. Does anyone else agree?

With that kind of attitude, it's not surprise you "hate" A Level Maths. Yes, hate is the correct word here, no matter how harsh it sounds. I personally love A Level Math, and I do not find it boring at all. That's just my opinion, and you would certainly disagree with me.

Moving on. GCSE Maths is enough (as far as I've heard) to show that you are not mathematically inept. I mean if it didn't, why would students be allowed to choose between taking A Level Maths, and not even turning a blind eye towards it? A Level Maths, however, is not useless. I've only been through AS Mathematics (Pure, and Mechanics), but it's helped me a ton in my other science subjects. I'm not sure about other subjects, but it comes real handy with Physics and Biology (especially A Level Biology - statistics).
Original post by Ari Ben Canaan
*YAWN*

I'm going to watch Pirates of The Caribbean. Anyone else coming with me ?

4? Is it even out yet? It's in theater's on the 18th (where I live).
Reply 85
Original post by Nayred
Don't worry mate, it's not that important, given you don't want to pursue a career in Maths.

True, but it left me with two A-levels meaning I couldn't apply to the higher rated universities...
Reply 86
Original post by Nayred
Perhaps you should reread it. It says that that employers look for "problem solving, logical thinking, conceptual ability, communication, data handling and interpretation, and research" and "recognise that you have them if you’ve studied maths". A-level mathematics shows this, which is impressive. No doubt. However employers aren't looking for half the skills you learnt in A-level maths because they aren't practicable and you would probably have forgotten them. Just like my Maths teacher (who has a degree) forgot what she did at A-level and has to revise it every now and then.

And which aspects of maths do you think are totally impractical?
Name each one you think is impractical and I will name a practical use.
Original post by Nayred
I'm barely scraping an A in GCSE Maths and I picked A-level Maths. IMO it's a complete waste of time, impracticable and useless in later life. It may impress employers but an A/A* in GCSE Maths is sufficient enough to prove that you are not mathematically inept. I'm going to change my A-level option ASAP. Most people who do it find it miserable, hard and boring. Does anyone else agree?

Change it. I flew through GCSE Maths and am struggling to maintain my A at A-level. If you haven't got the commitment to learn and practise, don't take it.

Original post by DymentriX
And which aspects of maths do you think are totally impractical?
Name each one you think is impractical and I will name a practical use.

The volume of revolution.
Other parts of integration.
Differentiation.
Sec, cosec, cot.
Iteration
Vectors
Binomial expansion
E^x and lnx

...Basically, the whole of the A2 level core modules.

And to be fair, the whole of Mechanics as well. Unless I'm going to become an engineer, I don't need to know what the turning force of a child stood on a plank is.

So, in terms of day-to-day usage, A-level Maths is fairly useless. I accept that all of it is useful if you're going to go into that area of work though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 88
As far as my own experience goes, I absolutely love maths and am taking both maths and further maths to A2 and intend to take a joint hons in theoretical physics and maths at uni. I know a lot of people who have struggled with the course and I think that's swayed their opinion towards not liking it. Additionally, it's often perceived to be cool to dislike maths - it certainly was at my old school - and I don't think that helps anyone enjoy the subject. I agree that maths isn't entirely applicable to the rest of life unless you intend to pursue a career in which maths forms a large part. But I refuse to let you tell me maths isn't beautiful.
Original post by lostfromlife
4? Is it even out yet? It's in theater's on the 18th (where I live).

Do you live in the middle of nowhere? I saw it a week or so ago! :eek:

Original post by lunney
As far as my own experience goes, I absolutely love maths and am taking both maths and further maths to A2 and intend to take a joint hons in theoretical physics and maths at uni. I know a lot of people who have struggled with the course and I think that's swayed their opinion towards not liking it. Additionally, it's often perceived to be cool to dislike maths - it certainly was at my old school - and I don't think that helps anyone enjoy the subject. I agree that maths isn't entirely applicable to the rest of life unless you intend to pursue a career in which maths forms a large part. But I refuse to let you tell me maths isn't beautiful.

Maths is a very interesting subject and it's very rewarding, which is why I took it. Maths is also very cool. :colone:

However, it needs dedication because it's also bloody difficult.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 90
Original post by Nayred
You clearly have not read my posts and are ignorant about where I stand on students who study Mathematics. Instead of repeating yourself, look at them and shut up.

Not sure if you're a troll or completely ignorant.

The things you have spewed out regarding maths can be applied to ALL subjects at an A level standard. Sure, most have a minor point which makes them a standalone investment, but over 80% of each course is completely useless in regards to a job.

Specifically for maths though, those minor useful points come in an indirect way which a lot of people just don't understand. The problem solving skills you pick up from maths is significant for employers, if anyone is going to learn how to effectively use computer software, it's going to be someone who has the logical "cause and effect" approach.

As a general rule though, A levels are not meant to be standalone qualifications, I imagine there is next to no one who is leaving education after A levels who hasn't completely failed them.

If I'm right in assuming that your main annoyance is that A level maths is portrayed as more desirable over other subjects, the truth is it is with good reason and however annoyed it makes you, the world is not going to bend to your will and suddenly follow your ignorant view that it's useless.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 91
Original post by Rascacielos

Maths is a very interesting subject and it's very rewarding, which is why I took it. Maths is also very cool. :colone:

However, it needs dedication because it's also bloody difficult.

As the nutter that I am, I haven't struggled as such with maths (self taught C2 and M1 because my class was going too slowly and predicted 100%), but further maths is definitely more of a challenge. Then again, I do maths to procrastinate, so I unwittingly put a lot of hours into it.
Original post by gozatron
Can't speak for FP2-4 but FP1 is just like any other Core module in my opinion. I can't really see how any other further maths module would be different. Though I would say something like STEP or AEA would have a huge workload.

STEP and AEA are based on FM and Maths. They are just extra maths exams for students applying for certain courses. There are no preparation for them apart from past papers. We used AEA papers for FP3 and FP4 practice. Questions are very interesting to solve because they are synoptic and require a deeper understanding of maths concepts which is what Further Maths is about.

FP3 is 180 pages of differential equations and polar integration, FP4 is 160 pages of three dimensional geomentry, FP1 and FP2 are a mixture of topics. They are not based on one another and involve proofs unlike Core Maths, that's probably the main difference.
Reply 93

STEP and AEA are based on FM and Maths. They are just extra maths exams for students applying for certain courses. There are no preparation for them apart from past papers. We used AEA papers for FP3 and FP4 practice. Questions are very interesting to solve because they are synoptic and require a deeper understanding of maths concepts which is what Further Maths is about.

FP3 is 180 pages of differential equations and polar integration, FP4 is 160 pages of three dimensional geomentry, FP1 and FP2 are a mixture of topics. They are not based on one another and involve proofs unlike Core Maths, that's probably the main difference.

Yes yes yes, I know what AEA and STEP involve I don't need a lecture about it.

Still, I see no reason why FP3-4 creates a bigger workload than any other maths module.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Nayred
You are not wrong.

You are correct as well, Maths A-Level is not the Ultimate destination like everyone makes it to be. Everything boils down to what you want to do in the future.
Reply 95
I think people are missing a key point here. They talk about the problem solving skills that maths gives you, but A level Maths does not require you to have these skills. It is sufficiently formulaic that you simply need to know which equation fits which question, plug the numbers in and produce the answer. I can think of one A level maths question I have done that actually required me to think. It is certainly true that Maths as a subject gives you problem solving skills, and further maths, AEA and STEP are a lot better for it, but the core Maths modules are not.
Reply 96
Original post by Rascacielos
Change it. I flew through GCSE Maths and am struggling to maintain my A at A-level. If you haven't got the commitment to learn and practise, don't take it.

The volume of revolution.
Other parts of integration.
Differentiation.
Sec, cosec, cot.
Iteration
Vectors
Binomial expansion
E^x and lnx

...Basically, the whole of the A2 level core modules.

And to be fair, the whole of Mechanics as well. Unless I'm going to become an engineer, I don't need to know what the turning force of a child stood on a plank is.

So, in terms of day-to-day usage, A-level Maths is fairly useless. I accept that all of it is useful if you're going to go into that area of work though.

Volumes of Revolution - Product Design, Manufacturing and Engineering. Various products can be modeled by using volumes of revolution. It is very useful for creating things with curved sides.

Integration - Aerospace, Electricity, Statistics, All kinds of engineering, Product Design

Differentiation - Engineering (again), Aerospace, Electronics, Gardening (if you want to get technical), Business Profits, Predicting the future (in some respects)

Reciprocal trig functions - just an easier way of dealing with trigonometry

Iterations - Computing/Computer Science, Project Management, Modelling (Art, Product Design)

Vectors - Quantum Physics, Construction, Computing, Video Game design

Binomial Expansion - Statistics

E and Natural Logarithms - Medicine, Radioactivity, See all mentioned for integration, Forensic Science

Those are a few off the top of my head.
Original post by gozatron
Yes yes yes, I know what AEA and STEP involve I don't need a lecture about it.

Still, I see no reason why FP3-4 creates a bigger workload than any other maths module.

I will give you an example: After finishing C4 in 2-3 weeks I spent 3 month understanding FP3 content.
Reply 98

I will give you an example: After finishing C4 in 2-3 weeks I spent 3 month understanding FP3 content.

Yes that's you, that may or may not apply to everyone else taking the subject.
Reply 99
Original post by Nayred
It may impress employers

Doubtful

Quick Reply

Latest