The Student Room Group

A-level Mathematics (what was I thinking...)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Maths, at least Further Maths, helps to develop logical thinking, which I use on a daily basis. If you can think deductively, reductively, and inductively, then your life will be a whole lot easier.

Admittedly, perhaps it is that the people who possess these skills do Maths and FMaths, not that doing those subjects teaches them. Probably a two-way process.
Original post by dnumberwang
I don't know what A Level English is like, but if GCSE is anything to go by then there's pretty much nothing that I'll ever use. It's analysing poetry and posters, and writing to argue or whatever (that's pretty much the whole of the GCSE), not spelling and grammar. A Level probably has more literature.

"you either use or you don't use", "But for those who don't go into such fields, chances are you'll never use it again" - I'm fairly confident you can say the exact same thing for pretty much every A Level.

To be fair, most people need to argue or write an articulate letter at more than one point in their life.
Original post by kaosu_souzousha
Well most of us use a combination of maths and physics on a daily basis.
Countless decisions every day: which light bulb will fit here 12W or 15W ? How much paint should I buy for a wall in my living room? How much gasoline should I buy for the car in order to travel for two weeks? How many ml of water is required to cook this soup? etc etc :biggrin:

(PS These are the type of questions that arise in the head of an average male everyday )

Yes, I accept that... But I believe this discussion is about the use of A-level Maths on a daily basis,
Original post by Rascacielos
To be fair, most people need to argue or write an articulate letter at more than one point in their life.

I assume you meant A Level English, does that have anything that you use every day? Isn't it mostly literature?

Since when was writing an articulate letter part of GCSE English? I certainly never learnt anything like that.

My point still stands. Anything that can be said about A Level Maths not being useful in everyday situations can be said about any other A Level
Original post by dnumberwang
I assume you meant A Level English, does that have anything that you use every day? Isn't it mostly literature?

Since when was writing an articulate letter part of GCSE English? I certainly never learnt anything like that.

My point still stands. Anything that can be said about A Level Maths not being useful in everyday situations can be said about any other A Level

A lot of it is Lit, yes, but the skills developed in English are still ones far more practical to daily life, IMO. Granted, so are those learned in Maths but I feel they are developed sufficiently enough at GCSE level, whereas with English GCSE, people can pass without being able to string a sentence together more or less.
Reply 145
It only takes a bit of effort and commitment to be able to do it in al honesty. If you don't feel you can be bothered to put in that bit of effort, then A Level Maths won't be for you.

Simple as that really, if it that does sound a bit harsh.
Original post by Glen_Nichols
Maths is sexy.

This made me laugh. out. loooooooud. :biggrin:
I find it hard and challenging, but that's what I love about it. I can't imagine not doing maths.
Reply 148
I sorta agree with you in the sense that you aren't the type of person that would ever require As maths and i don't think you'd consider a career in anything mathematical (i.e. Engineering etc.) But even though i'm doing maths i can't see the use of it. I only chose it because i'm good at it and it'll be an easy 7 for me, anyways the everyday practicality of maths pretty much is learnt by the end of the GCSEs when you already can +,-,*,/ to a good extent. Then it's more theoretical and logistics and skills you won't ever need.
Reply 149
let me be honest, maths is probably one of the easiest A levels around, its just like problem solving, you know how to do one, you can do them all.
Original post by Nayred
Okay, not EVERYONE but most people genuinely don't enjoy doing it but feel like they have to do it because it's so important (which I mistakenly thought myself).

I think quite a few people talk themselves into thinking "oh yeah maths will be alright" but then realise they don't like it.

I personally have always loved Maths and it's my favourite subject. It's all about your own opinion really.

Quick Reply

Latest