The Student Room Group

Which of the Home Counties do you associate most with WEALTHY PEOPLE & GOOD BREEDING?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Bedfordshire.
Reply 41
Hertford, Hereford and Hampshire!
Reply 42
wealthy people nowadays are often ill-bred oiks with ideas above their station. you are never more than 8 feet from one in London.
well-bred people may be found in all walks of life, with the exception of Professional Soccerball.

bera

:badger:
Reply 43
Greengate :e
Reply 44
Hampshire and Surrey.
Well I for one would compare Essex to LA, theres as much money and they've got the same tans.
definitely not Bedfordshire! I live just on the border of Beds and Herts
Definitely not anywhere near or in Essex or Kent. Even Hertfordshire and East Sussex would be suspect. Most people associate Buckinghamshire with new money, big City banking money in particular. Berkshire is a hodge-podge of techies, new money, some old money and Americans....plenty of Americans.

Hampshire has a few stray retired Army generals, but outside of Winchester, it's either country bumpkins or serious urban chavs - eg. Portsmouth and Southampton are more Liverpool these days than Liverpool.

Surrey and West Sussex are the places I associate most with posh English-born people from old families. Coincidently, they're both the two most beautiful of the Home Counties. Don't get me wrong, they both have their less than desireable areas, but such places are few and far between when compared to the rest of the Home Counties. The southwestern reaches of Surrey, as well as Chichester and Hayward's Heath in West Sussex are the most desirable areas in all of Britain to live and raise children. Just about everyone I've known who hails from these areas speaks proper RP style English, attended public school and comes from an old family of decent means. I think I read somewhere that SW Surrey produces more OXBRIDGE students per capita, than any other local authority in Britain. And if memory serves me, Chichester and Hayward's Heath in West Sussex were not far behind. The usual London Burroughs associated with wealth, such as Kensington & Chelsea and Richmond were also well represented, but a large majority of these people are not native English and come from new money.
(edited 8 years ago)
Anywhere near the A272.
Original post by ManiWembley
Anywhere near the A272.

Some of the out of the way towns in West Sussex are absolutely beautiful........They are a national treasure........Lots and lots and lots of trees!........The pretty chocolate-box towns along the A272 are quintessentially English......All they need is Vicars on bicycles and tea being served on the cricket pitch. They are the South East of England and all it symbolises.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending