The Student Room Group

School Prizes

So, I was wondering what prizes were given in different schools.

Are you given a certain book?
Get to choose a book?
Get A Voucher - Please specify what store.

For things like subject prizes
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Every sort of prize?

Well, the Dux and top academic achievers at Higher (top and runner up prelim scorers) get trophies which they keep for a year a top and runner up prize for each subject.
Top academic achievers at Advanced Higher aren't eligible for a trophy, instead getting certificates for "exceptional achievement".
Top academic achievers at neither Higher nor Advanced Higher get certificates praising them for "achievement".
Guys with effort get certificates praising them for "effort".

Getting a certain number of merits within a month entitles you to a prize, which can be a free school dance ticket, free cinema ticket, or formerly Woolworths voucher... I think the voucher still exists, but I don't know what shop it's for now.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
prizes for what??

You didnt really explain very well :P

If youre talking about best results - i think its a £100 or £200 voucher ..

Not 100% sure though
Dean
Reply 3
Original post by Armaros

Top academic achievers at neither Higher nor Advanced Higher get certificates praising them for either "achievement".
Guys with effort get certificates praising them for "effort".

hahaha, i laughed at that line.
Mine gives all sorts.

We have one for Geography, Chemistry, Modern Studies, German.
Reply 5
50 1/2 Years get certificates for good behaviour and effort.
The best 3rd Year prelim at SG gets you a £10 WHS Voucher in each subject.
The best 4th Year prelim at SG gets you a £10 WHS Voucher in each subject.
The best 5th Year prelim at H gets you " " " " " " ".
The best 6th Year prelims doesn't seem to get you anything, I 'won' in Accounts and Graph Comm but I'm not getting any prizes this yearm after 5 consecutive years of prizes.
the Dux for the pupil with the overall best results is given a trophy and money but am not sure how much

All subjects at the different levels are given a £10 Waterstone giftcard, most departments base it on the prelim marks, however some don't for example Art

For people that win any history or maths awards they get an extra £10 Waterstone giftcard because there are teachers that have died, and in there memory they have a fund to give extra to the pupils from there department

All sporting winner gets Waterstone giftcard and the trophy for that sport. And also there are special trophies for school captains and vice captains, and they are given money but am not sure how much.
I got a £10 waterstones voucher for SG History.
Reply 8
Must resist urge to claim it was a blatant fix....

Ooops. Too late. :s-smilie:
Reply 9
In my school you can get awards that are funded by a local jewelry store. You can either get it for 'Achievement' or 'Attainment' in each subject. For each of them you get a £10 WHSmith voucher.

You also get different awards for sports, citizenship, enterprise and other extra things that the school won over the year. These include medals, trophies and other certificates and vouchers I think. There are also other things like the house trophy etc...
2 years ago I won the enterprise award and got a trophy and a pen that had my name engraved in it :h:

The school usually invites all the important people and we have to wear our blazers, etc and act all happy and interested and enthusiastic. We don't actually get to keep the trophies but after the so called "End of Term Ceremony" we can get our parents to take a picture of us :rolleyes:

Oh well, it ain't that bad :rolleyes:
Reply 10
Mine ranges from £10 - 25 Amazon Vouchers or you choose what books you like up to that value
Reply 11
I won 8 prizes overall, 1st year and 2nd year 'behaviour certificates, and a couple of vouchers in 3rd, 4th and 5rh year for SG and Higher, and to be blatantly obvious every voucher prize winner would rather have a trophy - which would be cheaper for the school over X years than giving tenners out every year for X year, and the pupils would be happy too - win-win!
Reply 12
Original post by GoldenArab
I won 8 prizes overall, 1st year and 2nd year 'behaviour certificates, and a couple of vouchers in 3rd, 4th and 5rh year for SG and Higher, and to be blatantly obvious every voucher prize winner would rather have a trophy - which would be cheaper for the school over X years than giving tenners out every year for X year, and the pupils would be happy too - win-win!

Really? I think there just a hassle getting them engraved and all that.
Reply 13
The subject prizes were just certificates. Dux of science and dux of arts had trophies. Various other trophies(eg most improved at maths, particular other maths things, best projects), some of which had some book tokens.
Reply 14
prizes? in our school? lol no chance. in our exams most people tend to just get up and walk when they come to a hard question.if you pass you're a bit of an oddity,if you get ones or twos you're like an animal in a zoo:biggrin:
Reply 15
Original post by calvie

Original post by calvie
Really? I think there just a hassle getting them engraved and all that.

Surely you can get the D&T department to do that with their laser cutters?
The prizes vary in our school for the different subjects. I'm getting the Craft & Design award this year. I've been told the prize for that is money along with an achievement tie and certificate and then overall anyone who gets a gold award gets to go on a trip (bowling, M&D's) etc.. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
We didn't get any awards!
Right through school we had 'positive referrals' that we'd get from teachers for good work, effort etc. and at the end of term assemblies you'd be presented with a certificate (bronze through to super gold) depending on how many you'd been awarded. Gold and super gold got £10 vouchers for the likes of New Look, WHS, Waterstones. There was also an end of year prize giving; 1st-3rd years would get a certificate and school pen, 4th-6th years would get subject awards in terms of book vouchers. The person with the most subject nominations in 5th and 6th would get a trophy or sheild for the year that would get their name engraved onto it. There were also other prizes such as service to the school and sports awards.
WE have best in each subject from S1-5, and you win WHSmith voucher for it. The dux and runner up dux gets a medal and £25

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending