Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"Children under the age of 16 should never use a mobile phone"

Announcements Posted on
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    "Children and teenagers are five times more likely to get brain cancer if they use mobile phones, startling new research indicates.

The study, experts say, raises fears that today's young people may suffer an "epidemic" of the disease in later life. At least nine out of 10 British 16-year-olds have their own handset, as do more than 40 per cent of primary schoolchildren. "
    (IoS)

"A Council of Europe committee examined evidence that the cell phones and wireless internet connections have "potentially harmful" effects on humans, and decided that immediate action was required to protect children. They ruled that the technologies pose a health risk and should be banned from schools."

" Besides brain tumors, scientists have shown that radiation from cell phones and other wireless devices can:

Harm your blood cells and cause cellular changes
    Possibly accelerate and contribute to onset of autism, and trigger Alzheimer's disease
    Damage your DNA
    Damage your eyes
    Cause nerve-cell damage
    Cause sleep disruptions, fatigue and headaches"

(http://emf.mercola.com/sites/emf/arc...n-schools.aspx

"The Vienna Medical Association is demanding the removal of zero tariffs and the banning of mobile phone advertising aimed at children and adolescents." Says environment advisor for the association Eric Huber "Children under the age of 16 should never use a mobile phone"

There have been many articles in the press this week about this after the WHO announced mobile phones could cause cancer.

I think its a bit far to ban wifi in school but maybe other precautions do need to be taken and very young children shouldn't use mobiles. Any thoughts?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Everything gives you cancer these days. When you breathe in you get cancer, when you breathe out, you give it to someone else. Even cancer treatments can give you cancer. For example, cisplatin itself is known to cause cancer. So even while you are dying of cancer, you may also be getting cancer.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I guess it's too late for me now and a lot of other people. I've seen this reported from may to will, so I'm confused.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeenageDream)
    Everything gives you cancer these days. When you breathe in you get cancer, when you breathe out, you give it to someone else. Even cancer treatments can give you cancer. For example, cisplatin itself is known to cause cancer. So even while you are dying of cancer, you may also be getting cancer.
    Was going to Pos rep you but ran out

It's always been speculated about mobile phones but so many other things these days are said to "cause" cancer too, including certain foods.

If I'm honest, I've never understood why kids under 11 need mobile phones but I think it's ultimately up to the parents to weigh up the risks. Many kids at my secondary school had them from 12 for safety reasons ..initially
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dahut)
    "Children and teenagers are five times more likely to get brain cancer if they use mobile phones, startling new research indicates.

The study, experts say, raises fears that today's young people may suffer an "epidemic" of the disease in later life. At least nine out of 10 British 16-year-olds have their own handset, as do more than 40 per cent of primary schoolchildren. "
    (IoS)

"A Council of Europe committee examined evidence that the cell phones and wireless internet connections have "potentially harmful" effects on humans, and decided that immediate action was required to protect children. They ruled that the technologies pose a health risk and should be banned from schools."

" Besides brain tumors, scientists have shown that radiation from cell phones and other wireless devices can:

Possibly accelerate and contribute to onset of autism, and trigger Alzheimer's disease
    Damage your DNA
    Damage your eyes
    Cause nerve-cell damage

"The Vienna Medical Association is demanding the removal of zero tariffs and the banning of mobile phone advertising aimed at children and adolescents." Says environment advisor for the association Eric Huber "Children under the age of 16 should never use a mobile phone"

There have been many articles in the press this week about this after the WHO announced mobile phones could cause cancer.

I think its a bit far to ban wifi in school but maybe other precautions do need to be taken and very young children shouldn't use mobiles. Any thoughts?
    In contrast, I just read that use of mobile phone PREVENTS alzheimer's disease, and even granted immunity to the rats in the experiment. I'll find the article
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I hate it when i see 12 year olds walking around with blackberrys

I didnt have my first phone till i was like 15 and it didnt even work props lol was on pay as you go

:I
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gary10k)
    In contrast, I just read that use of mobile phone PREVENTS alzheimer's disease, and even granted immunity to the rats in the experiment. I'll find the article
    More importantly: they taught a rat to use a mobile phone?! Take that, talking Nazi dog.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dahut)

(IoS)

Damage your DNA
    Damage your eyes
    Cause nerve-cell damage

Meh. I'm still going to use it.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Whoops. I got my first phone when I was about 10.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ooh quote me when you do, I want to read it :]
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyraell)
    More importantly: they taught a rat to use a mobile phone?! Take that, talking Nazi dog.
    Definitely just spat out my drink!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I had my first phone when I was 11, but that was because I was travelling to and from school alone (and it was quite far) and my mum wanted to contact me :dontknow: I didn't really use it unless I needed to contact my mum.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    depends on how often they call
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Several local authorities have pulled all wifi out of their schools
    Several countries have banned it in schools

http://www.safeinschool.org/2011/01/...hools-and.html

There was never been a longitudinal test of the safety of mobile phones before mass uptake began. We are the experimental group.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    I got my first phone when I was 16. Course things were a bit different when I was younger, mobiles weren't very commonplace.

Mobile phones aren't necessary but it does save having to search around for a phone box, plus it means that parents can phone their kids if they're out, rather than waiting for the child to find a phone box and ring them.

Pagers are better imo for younger kids. Parents can send the kid a message when they want them, and then the kid can go and find a phone box and call the parent. Sorted!
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    I got a phone when I started secondary school so I could phone my mam if my bus didn't turn up.
    Looks like I'm getting a brain tumour.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyraell)
    LOL! They subjected the mice to mobile phone radiation, but best quote ever.

(Original post by Boo!xx)
    ooh quote me when you do, I want to read it :]
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/...6055PJ20100106
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    LOL! They subjected the mice to mobile phone radiation, but best quote ever.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/...6055PJ20100106
    ty :] That was interesting, plus rep for you
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've had a phone since christmas of the year I was 11. I went to school on the Tube (on my own), and it was so annoying every time I needed to phone someone having to find a phonebox, only to find it had been vandalised. And very useful it was too.
    • 10 followers

(Original post by Dahut)
    x
    Ugh. Why do medical associations think they are in a position to tell people what they should do? There is more to life than being healthy.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 6, 2011
New on TSR

Naughtiest thing you did at school

Did you get away with it or were you punished?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.