The Student Room Group

Best allied health profession?

Which allied health profession do you think is the best, and why?
It can be for whatever reason, and from experience or hearsay :tongue:
Reply 1
I think it can be medical billing profession :biggrin:.. because we can start work from home :smile:
Check useful Resource here - Medical Billing
(edited 12 years ago)
It depends what you define as an allied health profession.

I think they're all equal really, apart from personal preference, as we all work together. :smile:
I'd say physiotherapists.

Spoiler

Reply 4
I'm absolutely certain I just posted in this thread, but it's not showing up in my posts, so meh :frown:
Like pheonixFortune said, they all work together yet have massively different jobs. Like I couldn't work as a midwife as i'm squeamish, but i'd happily work as a speech therapist, which is what i'll be applying for. it's all down to personal preference :smile:

you have almost the exact same GCSE's as me, weird :h:

edit: found that other thread. TSR is a bit slow at updating today -.-
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
No Health Profession is better than others. I'm doing a degree in Nutrition and Dietetics, so I'm obviously going to say Dietitians are my favourite, but they are by no means better than any others. They certainly would struggle to do their job without Nurses, and Speech and Language Therapists.
I'm doing occupational therapy this year and it stood out for me, but I'd hate to do something like speech and language therapy which I think would be really boring. I suppose everyone is different and you need to look at each profession and see what aspects of the job you find appealing.
Original post by rocket0612
I'm doing occupational therapy this year and it stood out for me, but I'd hate to do something like speech and language therapy which I think would be really boring. I suppose everyone is different and you need to look at each profession and see what aspects of the job you find appealing.

What do you find so boring about speech therapy??
Reply 8
Radiography, definitely. Lots of high tech stuff and pretty pictures :biggrin:
Nurses blatently..cause we care manage you all :teeth:
Original post by charlie_iris
What do you find so boring about speech therapy??

My cousin has just qualified this year as a speech therapist and from what she told me about what is involved in the degree and the job role I just didn't find it attractive - she absolutely loves it though. I wasn't generalising it as a boring degree, it just doesn't pull me in. Its an example of how different people are attracted to different careers based on the their own likes and dislikes, thus my advice to the thread starter that maybe they should look at what was the most appealing profession to them instead of looking for the "best allied health profession".
Reply 11
I'm training to be a speech therapist and the more I learn the more I realise how varied it is! I knew about the adult size having worked as an assistant in acute rehab (on the wards dealing with acquired communication difficulties and swallowing) and in voice therapy but having just started my first placement in a school and from our learning this year I can already see how dramatically different working with children as a speech therapist is. In that sense I think there's something to suit everyone, and if you're not so into the physical aspects of nursing/OT/PT then there's not so much of that but obviously you will still come across it, for example if you're in a hospital you might be involved in joint clinics, there's still a chance that a patient might vomit on/near you when you're doing a swallow assessment and (as I discovered) a patient's catheter bag can burst all over your feet when you're wearing ballet pumps! I do think that some people that do speech therapy might get a bit of a shock when they're on placement if they think they get all the nice bits and none of the 'dirty' jobs :wink:

I think when people think about speech therapy they see it as a nice job where you get to play with children all day but there are more clinical areas within speech therapy which i personally find really interesting such as videofluoroscopies (x-ray swallows).

As Phoenix said, AHPs work closely together so if you get any assistant role you can get a good idea of what each role involves and there are quite often patients where you're all involved and there's crossover between your roles. For example, some OT assessments are really helpful for SLT's and vice versa and this means that we can all do a better job. On my course there's a lot of emphasis on interprofessional working and learning and it's benefits and each role has similarities and differences and is equally valuable.
Well i'd say Physiotherapy but im totally biased as thats what I'll be applying for soon :smile:

Although I think I'd find nutrition interesting (i was supposed to be doing a Level 3 nutrition course at college along side my A levels next year and was really excited, but they pulled out :frown:)
Reply 13
Nursing because you can work in so many different environments once qualified.

I also think that being a paramedic would be exciting.... only in summer though, I hate the rain .lol.

Quick Reply

Latest