The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Ultimate St Andrews Accommodation Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I've just been offered accommodation at Albany Park, which makes me excited as it was my first choice! The only thing that bugs me is that I've heard from one person that there was a 'mould problem' at AP, and that's why he got a transfer from there. He didn't really go into specifics, so I am not sure whether he just found the place untidy or whether he had a real allergic reaction to mould. So this is what worries me: is there water damage & mould at AP? Logically one would think that if there was an actual health risk from mould the university would not accommodate students there anymore, but I'd just like to hear from people who live or have spent lots of time at AP... Please tell me I'm worrying for nothing!
(edited 12 years ago)
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
I'm in an all male block in Andrew Melville! WTF!! IT'S THE 21ST CENTURY DAMMIT
Reply 42
Original post by SeaSea
I've just been offered accommodation at Albany Park, which makes me excited as it was my first choice! The only thing that bugs me is that I've heard from one person that there was a 'mould problem' at AP, and that's why he got a transfer from there. He didn't really go into specifics, so I am not sure whether he just found the place untidy or whether he had a real allergic reaction to mould. So this is what worries me: is there water damage & mould at AP? Logically one would think that if there was an actual health risk from mould the university would not accommodate students there anymore, but I'd just like to hear from people who live or have spent lots of time at AP... Please tell me I'm worrying for nothing!

You certainly are worrying for nothing. I lived in Albany last year and am living there next year too and there certainly is no mould problem. As you said, if there was, the university would not allow students to live there until it was sorted.
Reply 43
Original post by Cballantyne

The girl's will only be a minute away.
Reply 44
Thanks for the reply, Ecosse! :smile:
Reply 45
Hello there, Just found out I'm in Melville next year! BUT, I think I'm in an all male block. WTF! they exist!

Most halls have girls and boys floors. I was on an all girls floor.
and even the mixed floors have like a boys bit and a girls bit.
It's not like the girls are a million miles away. You still see them at meals and they are allowed to come to your floor. Calm down. It's no big deal.
Original post by Oh-WOW
Most halls have girls and boys floors. I was on an all girls floor.
and even the mixed floors have like a boys bit and a girls bit.
It's not like the girls are a million miles away. You still see them at meals and they are allowed to come to your floor. Calm down. It's no big deal.

Ha! well I was never really worried, it was just when I first saw I was in an all male block I found the idea of it a little weird! (Almost a bit childish) But thinking about it, it's really not that bad! Now I know where I'm staying, september can't come soon enough!
Reply 47
Ha! well I was never really worried, it was just when I first saw I was in an all male block I found the idea of it a little weird! (Almost a bit childish) But thinking about it, it's really not that bad! Now I know where I'm staying, september can't come soon enough!

It's really fine. And the guys floors in Uni Hall had quite alot of laddish banter. While the girl floors were known to be a bit quiter and cleaner. It's not like you'll never see girls...

Haha! Welcome to University life. I'm guessing you're in A block, then? Don't worry- A block's got great laddish banter- there's always a party going on at the weekend in some room or another. You'll see girls all the time, anyway- you're just not living on the same corridor as they are. Join the Andrew Melville Hall 2011/12 facebook group and see you in September :smile:
Original post by maryelizabethconn
Haha! Welcome to University life. I'm guessing you're in A block, then? Don't worry- A block's got great laddish banter- there's always a party going on at the weekend in some room or another. You'll see girls all the time, anyway- you're just not living on the same corridor as they are. Join the Andrew Melville Hall 2011/12 facebook group and see you in September :smile:

I think I'm in B block. Maybe I've done my homework wrong here...

and laddish banter does sound fun I have to admit. Guess I'll see some of you in September!
Reply 50
has anyone else not heard yet? everyone else going to St Andrews from my school has heard, and there seems to be plenty on here who have heard too... should I email to see if I've been forgotten is it normal to not have heard yet?
Reply 51
Original post by Ross_D93
has anyone else not heard yet? everyone else going to St Andrews from my school has heard, and there seems to be plenty on here who have heard too... should I email to see if I've been forgotten is it normal to not have heard yet?

You're not the only one, don't worry :smile:
Reply 52
Original post by Ross_D93

Loads of people haven't heard.
Everyone in first year is guaranteed accommodation so you will give a place. You just need to give it time.
Do all of the people who have already been allocated accommodation have unconditional offers, or is it being given to those with conditional offers too? I have a conditional offer and don't know if I should be expecting to hear soon or not! Thanks.
Reply 54
Original post by Lost on an Island
Do all of the people who have already been allocated accommodation have unconditional offers, or is it being given to those with conditional offers too? I have a conditional offer and don't know if I should be expecting to hear soon or not! Thanks.

You shouldn't expect to hear until your offer is unconditional :smile:
Reply 55
hey im gonna b in gannochy ..can neone giv me some more info about gannochy..
Reply 56
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know any information about "university managed & leased accommodation"?
I have applied to these accommodations without knowing an information or seeing a picture.

Do you recommend these options?
Besides, what type of accommodations are more comfortable?
Is it possible to change our preferences?

Thank youuuu
I just read through this PDF and er... what the hell?

"Please do not bring any electrical equipment - including adapters with you, which have
been purchased abroad."

Am I supposed to buy a new Macbook/hair dryer/everything now?:mad: Seriously, what is that all about?
Reply 58
Original post by Seelentherapie
I just read through this PDF and er... what the hell?

"Please do not bring any electrical equipment - including adapters with you, which have
been purchased abroad."

Am I supposed to buy a new Macbook/hair dryer/everything now?:mad: Seriously, what is that all about?

You can buy adapters here...
Reply 59
i'm not an expert, but i was in halls last year and all my american/international friends brought their laptops etc from home with adapters and no one was bothered. personally i would say it's not a big deal and i don't imagine anyone would challenge you for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending