The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Ultimate St Andrews Accommodation Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
See in your contract where it says "premise" mines says new hall and a number (2000 and something), Is this my room number?

I just need to know as I want to buy the bedding pack and you have to give your room number first.

Thanks for any help.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 61
Original post by Top Dog
See in your contract where it says "premise" mines says new hall and a number (2000 and something), Is this my room number?

I just need to know as I want to buy the bedding pack and you have to give your room number first.

Thanks for any help.

Yup, the 2000 and something is your room number in NH :smile:
Reply 62
Hi I am from India,

I got an offer from David Rusells apartment but, I rejected it as the fee was too high.. can anyone please suggest some alternative as University said that they don't roll any second offer to me.. Please help!
Reply 63
Original post by sidd9
Hi I am from India,

I got an offer from David Rusells apartment but, I rejected it as the fee was too high.. can anyone please suggest some alternative as University said that they don't roll any second offer to me.. Please help!

You're going to REALLY struggle to find somewhere to rent, you should probably have accepted the offer and tried to get the money from somewhere. Check out www.thesinner.net as some people advertise rooms they have there. At this stage of the year, most rooms/flats are LONG gone.
Reply 64
Original post by Ecosse_14

You're going to REALLY struggle to find somewhere to rent, you should probably have accepted the offer and tried to get the money from somewhere. Check out www.thesinner.net as some people advertise rooms they have there. At this stage of the year, most rooms/flats are LONG gone.

Thanks for the link! Is there any chance university can provide accommodation when I reach there.. there should be some help for international students..
If I go for rented flat, then what would be the average rent and normally how much is the utility bills for a single person per month,, ? Please Suggest!
Reply 65
See since you guys are all so awesome (:wink:), fancy doing mini guides to the halls you've stayed in like the ones already in the OP? :awesome:
I'll give you a reward.. I just don't know what yet :ninja:
I know we have DRA, McIntosh and I think FPA and somewhere else(?) amongst you :biggrin:

Guide to life in FPA:

Keep a change jar, the laundry is £1.80 and they don't give change

Morrisons may seem like a longer walk, but it's actually not and it's a bit more scenic (the quickest way is to go down Lawhead Road and walk through the botanical gardens)

If you need a bus into town the 99 calls at :43 every hour

The walls are thicker than you think, so don't worry about noise

There is a cat that lurks about wanting to be fed, especially if you live on the ground floor

If you've bought a TV licence, the TVLA will send you threatening letters nonetheless but ignore them

The new postcode is KY16 9WJ but some places refuse to accept anything but the older KY16 9UE

Make sure you write shopping lists, there's nothing more annoying than walking 30 minutes back and realising you've forgotten one thing

If you tell people there's a party or something, make sure you give them proper directions as it's not visible from the rest of the DRA

The fire alarm is tested at 9ish am every Tuesday. Prepare for it cos it's terrifyingly loud

There will be two fire drills a year; one early morning in winter and one mid-morning in summer/spring

The doors are fire doors and slam behind you; check your pocket to make sure your room card is in it before you leave (it's £15 to replace/be let in)

Flat parties are a great way to meet people!

Go to all the DRA social stuff cos it's free and fun

Pub Quiz every Thursday in the DRA bar with good prizes (I won a chocolate fountain)

Especially in winter, it's a lot better to pay 50p for a taxi to town between four people than walk the 1.5 mile round trip

If you study arts you will start to get sick of the walk around November. The 92 bus runs every 20 minutes via town from the DRA facilities building and is £5.50 for a weekly ticket

If you have non-induction compatible pans, they won't work and the cooker will beep furiously until you take it off

The cleaning inspectors will knock marks off for freezers with too much ice in them, defrost them every 6/7 weeks

A Christmas tree from Argos (£20 with décor) makes the sterile-looking lounge a bit more fun

Maisha will deliver to FPA, but only to the DRA facilities building - no such trouble with KFB who came to Fife Park car park

Reply 66
Original post by LGF92
x

Cheers, shall add to mini guides :smile:
Reply 67
Original post by LGF92
Guide to life in FPA:

Hi, thanks for the very useful list!

While I have your attention there are a few of things I'd like to ask about FPA if you don't mind :biggrin::

Which floor would a flat 12 be on? In fact how many floors and flats are there in each building?
There are four FPA buildings right? Are 2 postgrad and 2 undergrad?
Are postgrad flats/floors/buildings ever/always/sometimes mixed??
Which room number is opposite the kitchen?
Are these shelves: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/media/fifeparkappt-01-bedroom.jpg in every FPA room?

Also, more generally, any advice on where to stay if you arrive a few days early? Most boarding houses are full/expensive, is the best bet the hostel (in spite of luggage etc.)?

Thanks!
Reply 68
Original post by geoff2424
Hi, thanks for the very useful list!

While I have your attention there are a few of things I'd like to ask about FPA if you don't mind :biggrin::

Which floor would a flat 12 be on? In fact how many floors and flats are there in each building?
There are four FPA buildings right? Are 2 postgrad and 2 undergrad?
Are postgrad flats/floors/buildings ever/always/sometimes mixed??
Which room number is opposite the kitchen?
Are these shelves: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/media/fifeparkappt-01-bedroom.jpg in every FPA room?

Also, more generally, any advice on where to stay if you arrive a few days early? Most boarding houses are full/expensive, is the best bet the hostel (in spite of luggage etc.)?

Thanks!

1 - there are 12 flats in a building, three per floor. So 12 is on the top floor.
2 - I don't think either are specifically PG/UG but yes, there are four; Marconi, Ruskin, Nansen and Balfour.
3 - I couldn't tell you, but UG first year ones are always same-sex.
4 - no. 3
5 - Yes!
Reply 69
Does anyone know if New Hall will be made into flats? My daughter has been offered a place and is worried that it will be a long corridor of rooms with shared kitchens and not flats. Bearing in mind the price, surely it has to be made modern, plush and more intimate
Reply 70
Original post by sidd9
Thanks for the link! Is there any chance university can provide accommodation when I reach there.. there should be some help for international students..
If I go for rented flat, then what would be the average rent and normally how much is the utility bills for a single person per month,, ? Please Suggest!

It's extremely unlikely/impossible that the university will give you accommodation on arrival considering you've just rejected their offer.
Rent in St Andrews can vary from around £350 to £500 a month. Bills also vary and it depends on what is included in your rent.
DRA is pretty expensive, but if you got a shared room, it's £4581, which is the equivalent to a lease on a flat which is £450 a month for 10 months. Having been in your situation, I probably would have just taken the offer and tried to work it out more when I got here. As has been said, the only places you're likely to find now are the odd rooms here and there. Good luck.
Reply 71
Original post by Seelentherapie
I just read through this PDF and er... what the hell?

"Please do not bring any electrical equipment - including adapters with you, which have
been purchased abroad."

Am I supposed to buy a new Macbook/hair dryer/everything now?:mad: Seriously, what is that all about?

I think this is just to ensure that you have the correct adapters that will not blow anything up. Halls also tend to have an electrical check at some point, and if something doesn't reach their standards, they'll confiscate it and give it back to you either at the end of the semester or at the end of the year.
Reply 72
This is a slightlz relevant comment :smile:. I read about uni hall's printer for late night printing, but do you have to pay to use the printers in the halls/library/uni at all? At my school we had a balance, which we got for free, butthen we had to pay if we went over it, so I was just wondering how printing costs work :smile:!
Reply 73
Hey,, I got an offer from Fife park standard accommodation. how are the rooms in Fife park and the facilities..? Please provide some info..thanks!
Reply 74
Original post by Blaubeuren
This is a slightlz relevant comment :smile:. I read about uni hall's printer for late night printing, but do you have to pay to use the printers in the halls/library/uni at all? At my school we had a balance, which we got for free, butthen we had to pay if we went over it, so I was just wondering how printing costs work :smile:!

It's similar in St Andrews. I think you get 50 free credits when you first arrive, and then from then on you have to pay - currently it's £5 for 84 pages, £10 for 200 pages, and then increases by £1 and 20 credits above £10 (so £11 gets you 220 pages).
Reply 75
Original post by carolg
Does anyone know if New Hall will be made into flats? My daughter has been offered a place and is worried that it will be a long corridor of rooms with shared kitchens and not flats. Bearing in mind the price, surely it has to be made modern, plush and more intimate

I don't see how that would work so I'm assuming it will just be lots of rooms with lots of shared kitchens. Don't see anything wrong with that though, you're daughter will get to meet lots of people through cooking/eating in the kitchens with others. New Hall is quite up-to-date :smile:
Reply 76
Original post by duracell

Original post by duracell
It's similar in St Andrews. I think you get 50 free credits when you first arrive, and then from then on you have to pay - currently it's £5 for 84 pages, £10 for 200 pages, and then increases by £1 and 20 credits above £10 (so £11 gets you 220 pages).

Thanks! This actually seems a rather fair system which I am pleased about! :smile:
Reply 77
Original post by carolg

No but they are adding more kitchens and renovating some of the building (I asked when I was there). What subject is your daughter doing if you don't mind me asking?
Ive heard that all new students are put in shared rooms whilst returning students are given single rooms.

Does anyone have any pictures of what the bedrooms in Sallies look like? Theres a photo on the St Andrews website but its not very clear as it only shows one end of the bed and table.
Reply 79
yes, most freshers share rooms.
The rooms are very varied and different. Some are massive, some are small. Some have interesting features like fireplaces and antique furniture while others are more plain. Even if someone does have a photo, your room will probaly be different to that.

Quick Reply

Latest