The Student Room Group

Crap A levels - can't find a graduate job!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
don't give up hope..you can do it!
Reply 21
Thought I would post here again for a bit of an update............

It's been 4 weeks since I last posted and I still haven't managed to find a job. For those of you who were interested, I attended Liverpool John Moores. Not a great university when judging by league tables but the course was truly fantastic, with excellent tutors and modules. I don't honestly know why I'm writing here again......... I just feel a little lost about what to do. I've been treating this search as a full time job, taking on any advice that has been given to me (after I last posted here, I've been volunteering for a not for profit organisation as an accountant). My friends have all managed to find jobs within the local area, with some of them having to move down to London.

I'm starting to feel really down about having nothing to do or nothing to look forward to. I become really anxious when opening up my email and seeing instant rejections. This is all sounds extremely pathetic but I never really understood how disheartening it would be. I never expected to be accepted by the large firms. But to not even be given a chance by the small firms? I just wondered if you guys had any more useful tips? I understand that I may have passed the peak time to apply for a graduate job this year and I should realistically wait until next year, but at the same time I don't want to give up. Are there any other possible routes for me into accountancy which are more realistic?

Thanks for any advice - again! x
Reply 22
Did you say exactly what kind of job you are looking for? I would suggest to focus on experienced hire/temp positions as your A-levels will hold you back on a lot of Graduate schemes.

You can put your CV on websites like Reed, etc and employers / recruitment agencies will contact you. Again, not sure what job you are looking for, but for many basic accounting jobs you don't need to know much, except how to use Excel. So learn vlookup, pivot tables, macros etc. and put these as keywords on your advert. There are more jobs going in London if you are willing to search in that area.

Even if you want to hold out for a graduate scheme you could do this in the meantime for the money/experience and you may even land the perfect job!
If your family problems were bad, then apply through normal grad schemes - they have a place for mitigating circumstances. I've got internships etc, though my A levels were worse than yours!

Moreover, friends of mine graudated with 2:1s from top 5 universities, and still haven't got jobs a year later - keep persevering :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by Ariana123

Don't be too disheartened - I know it's difficult when you're stuck in a bad situation but let me put things into a bit of perspective:

1) AAB in Maths Bio and Chem at AS level should mean you are smart enough to do the ACA grad scheme. The ACA is not really that difficult technically - it's more the volume of information + juggling study with work. This is coming from someone when is about to finish his ACA contract with a mid/small sized firm.

2) You are correct that your A-level grades are holding you back and employers are auto-filtering you.

3) The AAT would IMO be a step backwards as it wouldn't really be challenging.

4) RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE (like the other guy that posted before) is super important and will stand out really well. What type of accountancy do you want to go into? Do some research and try and get a job which will give you relevant experience in the mean time if you can't get onto a grad scheme (do some bookkeeping, accounts prep work somewhere maybe?).

5) Try to explain your position through your cover letter and also outline the strengths (extra curriculars, related job experience could be very important here).

6) A lot of small/mid sized firms partners are just plain lazy and will not consider people below the threshold even if they are good enough

7) Try applying to these groups (if you haven't done so already):

http://www.swat.co.uk/
http://www.hatgroup.co.uk/

Hope that helps.
Reply 25
This worries me, I didn't ever consider companies would look at A levels. I got BCC and as a result I did a foundation year at Manchester University, I'm starting Civil Engineering next year.
I appreciate this is probably in the wrong place, but does anyone know if A level results would apply to an Engineering company?
Thanks
Hey
I have no experience in the accountancy field whatsoever - nor am i a graduate - im actually starting university next year.
But from what i read - my best advice is JUST TO THINK POSITIVE - i know it sounds simple enough, but whenver im stressed, worried or anxious about something - i keep telling myself - just stay positive and when you do this, you generally tend to think more CLEARER and with more sense.
Its hard to stay positive all the time - i know, but just try your best to think positive about your situation - remember, you're not dieing, you're just trying to sort out your career - when you think with some perspective, it really highlights how lucky you are sometimes, and thus motivates you to make the best of your situation.
Sorry for this long silly speech- but i hope it helps and like many of the above have said - "why go backwards when you can go forwards?" - i totally agree with this and i would reccomend you to definetely bulk up your CV with work experience and work placements, because believe it or not, experience can often outshine grades - and its important to remember that although employers are looking for someone intelligent (as highlighted with decent grades), they also want someone who is practical and can do the nitty gritty thats required to make the company a success.
Thus, i would strongly reccomend you to keep on working at your CV and im sure eventually you will land a job in a big company - and remember to stay positive and BELIEVE IN YOURSELF, because if you don't, you'll never reach the heights that you aspire to be at.
Reply 27
Thought I would post here again for a bit of an update............

It's been 4 weeks since I last posted and I still haven't managed to find a job. For those of you who were interested, I attended Liverpool John Moores. Not a great university when judging by league tables but the course was truly fantastic, with excellent tutors and modules. I don't honestly know why I'm writing here again......... I just feel a little lost about what to do. I've been treating this search as a full time job, taking on any advice that has been given to me (after I last posted here, I've been volunteering for a not for profit organisation as an accountant). My friends have all managed to find jobs within the local area, with some of them having to move down to London.

I'm starting to feel really down about having nothing to do or nothing to look forward to. I become really anxious when opening up my email and seeing instant rejections. This is all sounds extremely pathetic but I never really understood how disheartening it would be. I never expected to be accepted by the large firms. But to not even be given a chance by the small firms? I just wondered if you guys had any more useful tips? I understand that I may have passed the peak time to apply for a graduate job this year and I should realistically wait until next year, but at the same time I don't want to give up. Are there any other possible routes for me into accountancy which are more realistic?

Thanks for any advice - again! x

how about goin for CFAB. 1st 6 knowledge modules. Then they'll know that you REALLY mean business. but as the other ppl hv already said, u best wait for your results. and if you get a First(which you will) you'll get in for sure.

If you've got a job, i'd say go for it. For a student of your ability, it wouldn't take you long. ppl at big4 get a week each for the knowledge modules and i think they self study as well from what i've read.
i am registered with ICAEW as an independent student. i did the first 5 on my own with no tution and i didn't have an accounting background either. i did the same subjects as u in A levels. AAC in chem math n bio.

Good Luck. n don't give up. As they say
Nothing worth having comes easy.
Reply 28
I am trying to keep thinking positive, but it's so hard when other people doubt your abilities! To add to my post above, I forgot to mention that my grades have been confirmed for quite a while (about 3-4 weeks now) so I definitely have a 1st.

Most of the positions I apply for go through recruitment agencies who don't seem very helpful. I mainly get rejections from them saying that they have people who "better fit the requirements of their clients". I tried to overcome this problem by sending direct applications to accountancy firms in my surrounding area (pretty much all over the north-west). This ended up being completely pointless, I didn't hear back from one.

It's come to the point where I'm not even concerned for my salary, I genuinely just want the experience. I want to begin my chartered qualification. Realistically I'm probably going to have to defer it for a year. I'm looking to study CIMA, I wouldn't mind doing either ACCA/ICAEW, but I do have my heart set on studying management accounting.

I think the best thing I can do is to gain some experience this year in temporary positions possibly (even so, these still seem to require previous experience!). For now I will continue to apply and carry on with my volunteer work. Hopefully I will have a change of fortune!

Thank you for all your messages of encouragement! I don't feel as defeated as I did a couple of days ago.

X
Reply 29
Apologies if this has already been mentioned but have you checked out PwC's inspired talent route? http://www.pwc.com/uk/en/careers/student/inspired-talent.jhtml

You could use this if you've done charity work or played a sport at a decent level. Worth a shot!

I'm not sure if it is too late but check it out.
Reply 30
I'm in almost the exact same situation as you, ADD at A-level and graduated this month with a 1st in accounting & finance.

So far I've been offered a role on a finance grad scheme in industry and also have a final interview tomorrow for a medium sized accounting practice. All I can say is go through all the finance grad schemes in the FTSE250 and find ones which don't put emphasis into UCAS points, there are actually quite a few of them and they will take notice of you're degree. Also, applying to the smaller practices because the places are less competitive (not neccassarily in terms of number of vacancies to applications but the quality of the graduates applying will be lower).

Make sure you're highlighting your degree and always spend time answering the questions on the application forms.
Reply 31
Original post by maria schvedova
Hey
I have no experience in the accountancy field whatsoever - nor am i a graduate - im actually starting university next year.
But from what i read - my best advice is JUST TO THINK POSITIVE - i know it sounds simple enough, but whenver im stressed, worried or anxious about something - i keep telling myself - just stay positive and when you do this, you generally tend to think more CLEARER and with more sense.
Its hard to stay positive all the time - i know, but just try your best to think positive about your situation - remember, you're not dieing, you're just trying to sort out your career - when you think with some perspective, it really highlights how lucky you are sometimes, and thus motivates you to make the best of your situation.
Sorry for this long silly speech- but i hope it helps and like many of the above have said - "why go backwards when you can go forwards?" - i totally agree with this and i would reccomend you to definetely bulk up your CV with work experience and work placements, because believe it or not, experience can often outshine grades - and its important to remember that although employers are looking for someone intelligent (as highlighted with decent grades), they also want someone who is practical and can do the nitty gritty thats required to make the company a success.
Thus, i would strongly reccomend you to keep on working at your CV and im sure eventually you will land a job in a big company - and remember to stay positive and BELIEVE IN YOURSELF, because if you don't, you'll never reach the heights that you aspire to be at.

i absolutely love this!! and i agree wholeheartedly .....
Reply 32
Maybe wait until you definitely have your First Class Honours and then go for it!

Maybe they are waiting for something more solid , I am not sure. I never knew that after Uni or almost after that for jobs and whatnot , they still cared about your GCSE's or A Levels
Don't put all your hope on graduate schemes - aren't they ridiculously competitive in any field?

I would get temporary or even permanent work as an admin, preferably on an accounts team. Don't bother with volunteering it just doesn't hold the same sway as being an employee (although better than nothing if you can't get a job at all). The thing is about getting a job you never quite know what will happen and what contacts you can make.

While you're employed keep applying for grad schemes, if you do this while you're actually employed you look much more attractive. I would actually say that applies for any job at all, it does show you have work ethic even if it's not relevant employment.
Reply 34
Original post by Agent Smirnoff
Maybe wait until you definitely have your First Class Honours and then go for it!

It is confirmed, I managed to get a 1st. It doesn't seem to have made that much of a difference to be honest.

I was short listed by a recruitment agency the other day for a job, they sent around five peoples CV's to the employer. They didn't even want to give me an interview! There's nothing on my CV to suggest that I'm not a hard worker. I've been working since I was 16. Mostly in customer service roles, but this has allowed me to be a friendly/outgoing person.

I will just have to give it time, I think if I haven't managed to enter a grad scheme by september, I will start making other plans to gain experience and apply again the next year.
Reply 35
It is confirmed, I managed to get a 1st. It doesn't seem to have made that much of a difference to be honest.

I was short listed by a recruitment agency the other day for a job, they sent around five peoples CV's to the employer. They didn't even want to give me an interview! There's nothing on my CV to suggest that I'm not a hard worker. I've been working since I was 16. Mostly in customer service roles, but this has allowed me to be a friendly/outgoing person.

I will just have to give it time, I think if I haven't managed to enter a grad scheme by september, I will start making other plans to gain experience and apply again the next year.

Awww..... well I am sure something will come round for you soon. We all have issues with jobs I suppose. You just got to try and try and hope.

Good luck :gthumb:
Why don't you write '3 A levels in subject a, b and c' on your cv. Then you wouldn't have to worry about your poor grades holding you back.
it is strange...here in italy for graduate jobs they hardly look at what you did before the university ...:confused:
I am trying to keep thinking positive, but it's so hard when other people doubt your abilities! To add to my post above, I forgot to mention that my grades have been confirmed for quite a while (about 3-4 weeks now) so I definitely have a 1st.

Most of the positions I apply for go through recruitment agencies who don't seem very helpful. I mainly get rejections from them saying that they have people who "better fit the requirements of their clients". I tried to overcome this problem by sending direct applications to accountancy firms in my surrounding area (pretty much all over the north-west). This ended up being completely pointless, I didn't hear back from one.

It's come to the point where I'm not even concerned for my salary, I genuinely just want the experience. I want to begin my chartered qualification. Realistically I'm probably going to have to defer it for a year. I'm looking to study CIMA, I wouldn't mind doing either ACCA/ICAEW, but I do have my heart set on studying management accounting.

I think the best thing I can do is to gain some experience this year in temporary positions possibly (even so, these still seem to require previous experience!). For now I will continue to apply and carry on with my volunteer work. Hopefully I will have a change of fortune!

Thank you for all your messages of encouragement! I don't feel as defeated as I did a couple of days ago.

X

Hey
i know its hard when others doubt your abilities - my teachers and friends never believed i was capable of getting an offer for the degree that im going for now (medicine) however i did - how? , because above all else, when every1 lost faith in me, I DIDNT and i made it happen 4 me (by working my ass of lol) - you need 2 do the same - so what if people doubt your abilities - show your friends, colleagues and employers that you are employable by undertaking your work experience and by bulking up your cv. - YOU have 2 believe in yourself, because otherwise, WHO WILL!
:frown:

I would never advise lying, but depending on the format of the application, could you not just omit the A levels and state only the degree? On a CV you could easily do this. If it is an online form where you have to fill in the grades, maybe not, but on a CV that is what I would be doing in your position.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending