The Student Room Group

Why is psychology so popular?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lollyage
O rly? :eyeball:

YA RLY. WJEC is so far, for sure - it's just memorising stuff.
Alot of people misinterpret it thinking they will be able to read minds.

Alot more students misinterpret the career options. They think they can become the careers in shows like CSI or Law and Order. They don't know really what forensic psychology involves.
I dont care about the hate, I just cant understand why so many people at my old school chose it.

The Psycology students outnumberd the maths students 3 to 1. At my new school its the other way around, thank god!

Its a subject that fills many places. Some take it for the sciences aspect, some to fit around their essay subjects. Its an alternative to the subjects they have been taught all their life.

.....And ofcourse some want to feel like they "understand people". Some idiots scrape a B in AS Psycology and think that they can psycological asses your moves, like everyone is a sheep but only they can see it.

You know im right.
Because up until GCSE level, most people are stuck with subjects like Maths, English, History etc. My school done Psychology GCSE but I know not every school does it.

So it's new to them at A-Level and people pick it out of curiosity and because it sounds different. This not only applies to Psychology...most people have never studied subjects like Economics and Sociology before A-Level as well, probably pick them out of curiosity as well :smile:

Also, it sounds interesting :smile:
Original post by Sirrod
Hi everyone! :biggrin:
At my sixth form college so many people seem to do AS and A level psychology and I just wanted to know why this subject is so popular, not just at my college, but in general for AS and A level. To be honest, I don't really see the attraction of the subject, it seems so boring to me! Therefore, I'd be interested to know why so many people choose it!

If I had the option when I was at sixth form I'd choose it over any non-science subject. Because I'm very into how the mind works and stuff but I'm more into abnormal psychology. However it's interesting to learn what people view as how a normal person thinks. see.
1) Psychology generally isn't available at GCSE

2) People generally don't take subjects they did poorly at in their GCSEs for A-level

3) Those who did poorly in the majority of their GCSEs may choose psychology for a 'fresh start'.
Reply 26
Original post by madders94
YA RLY. WJEC is so far, for sure - it's just memorising stuff.

Lol, well I'm on OCR so my course might be pretty different to yours but no it's not easy. I'm personally finding my second AS module for psychology harder than maths C2 because of the sheer amount of crap you have to know.

There's no such thing as an "easy A", it's all subjective and depends on what you're good at and what you're not. Each subject requires hard work and skill, and I hate it when people undermine the efforts students have to make for any subject.
Original post by Stratos
It's funny how they think psychology will teach them how to hypnotize people, when such skills are usually the result of a master degree perhaps.

You can also learn it from the internet or DVD now, there's this hypnotist that I saw in Colston Hall in Bristol during a psychology trip who's gives insights and lessons into hypnotism (he's a funny guy as well lol):http://www.newtonhypnosis.com/

Psychology A-level only gives you a small insight into it eg: how it happens i.e suggestion. If you wanted to do psychology just for hypnosis you could just buy a dvd instead of wasting years and years of irrelevant stuff.
Personally, I find it interesting and it links in to my career plans. Also it links into my other subjects so it made sense to take it.

Then of course there's the fact that its a new subject ive never tried and as I was mainly sticking to subjects I have had experience with I fancied trying something new.

Just for the record, its not all memorising, you have to apply it too :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 29
...because it's easy. It's mostly down to memory rather than understanding. Just remember every essay and you do well.
Lol, well I'm on OCR so my course might be pretty different to yours but no it's not easy. I'm personally finding my second AS module for psychology harder than maths C2 because of the sheer amount of crap you have to know.

There's no such thing as an "easy A", it's all subjective and depends on what you're good at and what you're not. Each subject requires hard work and skill, and I hate it when people undermine the efforts students have to make for any subject.

Like I said - it's my opinion. I find it very easy, because I did it at GCSE and also I seem to have a natural aptitude for it. Plus I tend to do very well at essay subjects - all of my best GCSEs were essay-based exams and lots of writing, and my A Level choices all are too :tongue:
All the people who I know who are taking it at A level are the ones who either did at GCSE (because the first year of A level is basically the GCSE course with a few added extras) or they think they will have jedi mind tricks (I wish that wasn't true but when I asked some people they literally think they'll be able to tell what your thinking...) so in short they believe it will make them a behavioural psychologist...I don't attempt to understand the logic behind this, all of this put me off the course
Reply 32
Like I said - it's my opinion. I find it very easy, because I did it at GCSE and also I seem to have a natural aptitude for it. Plus I tend to do very well at essay subjects - all of my best GCSEs were essay-based exams and lots of writing, and my A Level choices all are too :tongue:

Okay well great, it's easy for you.

But it's not an 'easy A' as, again, there's no such thing.
Reply 33
I took it because I thought it would be interesting. I knew I wanted to do Business at uni so I thought it would also be useful as far as HR management and marketing were concerned. I wasn't bothered by whether subjects were said to be easy or not; I took what I was interested in. In fact some people did try to warn me off of it saying that it was difficult. It depends who you are; if you can't write an essay, apply what you've learned and remember the theories and studies, you've had it.

However I agree that some people did take it because they thought it was easy; quite a lot of people in my school dropped it when they realised the workload didn't correspond to the easy subject they thought they'd signed up for. I think some also take it because they think it's cool to do something that wasn't an option before, or because they want to go to 6th form but are fed up with the subjects they've already been studying.
I suppose it's appealing because it's a relatively new science compared to the sciences students are forced to study at GCSE.
Reply 35
I was going to choose Psychology as an AS level, quite simply because I find that type of stuff really interesting. I'm fascinated by human behavior, different personality types and theories, and all sorts along those lines. In fact, at the college I'm applying to they even look into dream analysis :ahee:

Anyway I have decided not to take it as it's not relevant to what I wish to do in the future, and I'm already having a difficult time deciding between my AS levels, there's so much choice.
Reply 36
Understanding the human mind? How people act?

Criminal Minds ftw (I mean that is all about how people function).
Okay well great, it's easy for you.

But it's not an 'easy A' as, again, there's no such thing.

For me, it is. The A I got in PY1 was the easiest A I ever got - I left the exam thinking I'd failed because I thought I'd dropped so many marks.
Reply 38
For me, it is. The A I got in PY1 was the easiest A I ever got - I left the exam thinking I'd failed because I thought I'd dropped so many marks.

Yeah and I don't doubt that.
It's just the way you generalised the 'ease' of it in the first post you made.
Reply 39
its a social science, so i reckon either A they are genuinly interested or B its easier that doin Biology,Physics and Chemistry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending