Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How accurate is my fitness pal calorie calculator?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ATM I am aiming for about 500-750 cal deficit per day (about 20% body fat and weight is 94kg)

So for a sedentary lifestyle and 750 cal deficit + the 250 calories I burnt at the gym (not including the weights I did), apparently I would have to eat about 2000cals to achieve this

However I am kinda surprised on how hard it is actually to eat this much at uni. This is probably because my parents eat like sh*t at home (which makes me fat)

Anyway this is some of what I have eaten already and some that I plan on eating (to the letter)- the only place I can really fail is cooking with too much olive oil

So how accurate u reckon the calculator is ?- as in how it estimates maintenance cals
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think it is pretty accurate. I lost 2 stone last summer using the cal counter on myfitness pal.

My be try to add some more carbs to your lunch and the you will reach your cal goal and have a more balanced diet.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know with anything thats packaged its normally spot on, i.e. exactly the same as what it says on the wrapper, so I assume its fairly accurate.
    With things you've cooked yourself its obviously going to vary slightly but it should give you a good estimate.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    is your name marc?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anon2010)
    I think it is pretty accurate. I lost 2 stone last summer using the cal counter on myfitness pal.

My be try to add some more carbs to your lunch and the you will reach your cal goal and have a more balanced diet.
    I am not a carb Nazi nor am I a carb whore. I think 100g of carbs a day is probably more than enough

(Original post by emeleh)
    I know with anything thats packaged its normally spot on, i.e. exactly the same as what it says on the wrapper, so I assume its fairly accurate.
    With things you've cooked yourself its obviously going to vary slightly but it should give you a good estimate.
    I've compared some wrapper values with the values on my fitness pal and most of them are spot on. Is quite easy to spot the ones that aren't though

(Original post by resentment.)
    is your name marc?
    Well u know everyone who is called marc, is always tall dark and handsome so I guess thats me - or atleast that's what my mum says

Anyone know roughly how many cals are burnt during weights as I fear entering the 1000cal below maintenance phase- thats prob why I chose 750 cal rather than 1000cal
    For dieting I like eating quantised amounts as it makes life easier- unless is low cal veg
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloodbath)

Well u know everyone who is called marc, is always tall dark and handsome so I guess thats me - or atleast that's what my mum says

A cousin of mine is called Marc, he is not tall.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am not a carb Nazi nor am I a carb whore. I think 100g of carbs a day is probably more than enough

I've compared some wrapper values with the values on my fitness pal and most of them are spot on. Is quite easy to spot the ones that aren't though

Anyone know roughly how many cals are burnt during weights as I fear entering the 1000cal below maintenance phase- thats prob why I chose 750 cal rather than 1000cal
    For dieting I like eating quantised amounts as it makes life easier- unless is low cal veg
    keep it at 2000 then after 1 or 2 weeks readjust it based on how much weight you are losing.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

100g of carbs is not enough for a 94kg male! I would probably double that amount. And you certainly need more fats in your diet (other than a tbsp of olive oil) which you can easily get from nuts, seeds, peanut butter, oily fish, avocados, etc.

2000 cals:

200g carbs
    70g fat
    150g protein

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 5, 2011
New on TSR

What are your A-level predictions?

Join our AS and A2 results day chat thread

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.