The Student Room Group

Anthropology Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 620
Original post by DMotorwayKiev
Hey guys, I was wondering if you had any advice for work experience or bits I can do that will help my application stand out that little bit more. I volunteer at oxfam, and was going to apply for some internships at museums. Do you think that'll be enough for when I apply in 2013?

Any tips would be much appreciated! :smile:

Hi! Great start on work experience already! I would just make sure you link all of your extra-curricular activities to Anthropology in your personal statement to show your passion and enthusiasm for the subject. As previously mentioned, make sure you read some anthropological books - LSE has some recommended preliminary reading on their Anthropology page - "Small Places, Large Issues" in particular is a great book. I also recommend Levi Strauss' "Tristes Tropiques" (translated into English of course :tongue:), it took me a while to read but it's fascinating!
Good luck with your application in a few months time! :biggrin:
Thanks guys, I'd better get reading then! Haha x
Reply 622
Original post by flume
Hi! Great start on work experience already! I would just make sure you link all of your extra-curricular activities to Anthropology in your personal statement to show your passion and enthusiasm for the subject. As previously mentioned, make sure you read some anthropological books - LSE has some recommended preliminary reading on their Anthropology page - "Small Places, Large Issues" in particular is a great book. I also recommend Levi Strauss' "Tristes Tropiques" (translated into English of course :tongue:), it took me a while to read but it's fascinating!

I think Levi-Strauss is pretty heavy going, but maybe if you're really committed! If you're looking for something easier to lower yourself into anthropology, try Clifford Geertz's Balinese Cockfight (in The Interpretation of Cultures) as he is a writer turned anthropologist rather than a pure academic. Jared Diamond is fun to read but not proper anth so probably worth reading but not mentioning! Also try Malinowski's Argonauts of the Western Pacific - it is heavy going but theoretically light, and it is the first ever (proper) ethnography.
[INDENT]

Firmed Social Science at Cardiff :smile:
Reply 624
Firmed LSE!!!!! :biggrin:
Reply 625
Firmed Durham and rejected UCL. Not 100% still, but oh welllll! UCL didn't exactly sell itself to me :smile:
Original post by flume

Levi Strauss has got to be one of the oddest anthropologists ever when it comes to his writing style. I've read him in both English and French and always just come away thinking "right, but you could have said that in a so much more simplistic manner!" but then I guess that's the case with reading anything in academia which is "old". I found LS really hard going in 1st and 2nd year then in my 3rd year I did a really intensive kinship course which really made me "get" him and appreciate the oddness. I definitely wouldn't go for him if you're a soon to be fresher or potential anthropology applicant though! I will come back to this thread when I have a bit more time with some suggestions of my own.

Incidentally, I also remember being really really shocked in my final year at uni (2009) when Levi Strauss died as I had been utterly convinced that he was already dead as his work felt really old and as though he definitely should have died.
Reply 627
I've pretty much narrowed it down to Durham and Manchester. The cities seem so different and the courses too, but they're both almost equally appealing. Making decisions sucks :frown:

Original post by lanatic
Firmed Durham and rejected UCL. Not 100% still, but oh welllll! UCL didn't exactly sell itself to me :smile:

Is this for BA or BSc? Congrats anyway, you seem to have gotten two great offers.
Reply 628
Original post by fbear
I've pretty much narrowed it down to Durham and Manchester. The cities seem so different and the courses too, but they're both almost equally appealing. Making decisions sucks :frown:

Congrats on getting the offers! I was picking between Manchester and Sussex and since the courses were both as good as each other I looked at other stuff like student life, student paper (if you're into that haha, or other societies!) and looked at what people were saying on here about both places :smile: and I ended up with Manchester :smile:

If you're interested in league tables you could also look them up although they both have excellent reputations... i'm not actually sure I've said anything helpful at all after all that haha, good luck anyway!
Original post by fbear

Is this for the Single Honours Anthropology? I've visited both departments, and I found Durham's to be a lot more friendly, outgoing and intellectual, and they seemed to have a lot more facilities than Manchester though I didn't get shown Manchester's. The course and opportunities also felt better at Durham than Manchester but that's just my opinion.
Reply 630
Original post by Lucy.Jane
Congrats on getting the offers! I was picking between Manchester and Sussex and since the courses were both as good as each other I looked at other stuff like student life, student paper (if you're into that haha, or other societies!) and looked at what people were saying on here about both places :smile: and I ended up with Manchester :smile:

If you're interested in league tables you could also look them up although they both have excellent reputations... i'm not actually sure I've said anything helpful at all after all that haha, good luck anyway!

Thanks! All opinions are helpful, don't worry. :smile:

Original post by AquilaXenon
Is this for the Single Honours Anthropology? I've visited both departments, and I found Durham's to be a lot more friendly, outgoing and intellectual, and they seemed to have a lot more facilities than Manchester though I didn't get shown Manchester's. The course and opportunities also felt better at Durham than Manchester but that's just my opinion.

Yup, single honors. It's also the BSc degree which is slightly different and at Queen's. From what I've seen on the web I get the same feeling as you. Although, Manchester does have higher student satisfaction for Anthropology, according to uni-stats.
Original post by fbear
Thanks! All opinions are helpful, don't worry. :smile:

Yup, single honors. It's also the BSc degree which is slightly different and at Queen's. From what I've seen on the web I get the same feeling as you. Although, Manchester does have higher student satisfaction for Anthropology, according to uni-stats.

I think I might have replied to you before, many pages ago, but I chose Manchester over Durham in the main because of the place itself. If you care about clubs/live music Durham will disappoint. Manchester is one of the biggest unis in the UK - from a friend who goes to Durham, it sounds pretty small, and though I'm sure there is a good variety of people there, there are a lot of 'posh' people around.
Original post by fbear

Oh okay, I applied for the Joint Honours with Archaeology but when I was looking for the single I only looked at the BA as I wanted to be in Durham and I wanted to get away from the more science-y side.

When I went to Manchester Open Day I felt quite disappointed by the departments, I didn't really get a feel of them or what you can do so this might have coloured my perceptions.

When I visited Durham for the Visit Day though I really enjoyed the atmosphere of the city and the collegiate structure (there were representatives outside their respective colleges welcoming people, everyone went out clubbing on the night with war paint on respective to their college colours - including offer holders - and I felt it was very student-focussed because of the different colleges). But then if this isn't want you want then Manchester might be better. Then again this was at Durham campus rather than Queen's.
Reply 633
Original post by takethyfacehence
I think I might have replied to you before, many pages ago, but I chose Manchester over Durham in the main because of the place itself. If you care about clubs/live music Durham will disappoint. Manchester is one of the biggest unis in the UK - from a friend who goes to Durham, it sounds pretty small, and though I'm sure there is a good variety of people there, there are a lot of 'posh' people around.

Yes you have, I remember :smile: This is a big factor for me as I'm heavily into music, not the classical or orchestral kind. Also, I live in a huge city so I might feel more comfortable there. I do like the university feel of Durham though. I just hope the 'posh' people aren't too snobbish.

Original post by AquilaXenon
Oh okay, I applied for the Joint Honours with Archaeology but when I was looking for the single I only looked at the BA as I wanted to be in Durham and I wanted to get away from the more science-y side.

When I went to Manchester Open Day I felt quite disappointed by the departments, I didn't really get a feel of them or what you can do so this might have coloured my perceptions.

When I visited Durham for the Visit Day though I really enjoyed the atmosphere of the city and the collegiate structure (there were representatives outside their respective colleges welcoming people, everyone went out clubbing on the night with war paint on respective to their college colours - including offer holders - and I felt it was very student-focussed because of the different colleges). But then if this isn't want you want then Manchester might be better. Then again this was at Durham campus rather than Queen's.

I guess the big decision would be which city is more appealing. They're so contrasting, the cities and the unis. I took the BSc simply because I didn't have the grades for the BA. When I read the overviews they seemed the same. It's only after I got an offer did I see the degree framework. So that may be a thing as well, if I want more of the biological side or not.

I get the feeling that teaching and facilities for Anthropology are better at Durham. However, this may be solely due to it's prestige. After all student ratings for Manchester and Durham are somewhere like 93% and 86% respectively.

Anyway, thanks to who all have replied. I'm trying to gather as many opinions as I can and hopefully will decide by this week.
The Manchester department was actually the only department which sold itself to me tbh. However I thought Manchester as a city was alright, but not me...If that makes sense. I think anthropology and even social anthropology departments vary quite a lot, so one has to really investigate the different courses and their specialities. I liked the idea of going to LSE, but found its focus on economics (suprise, suprise) too constricting. I asked the former head of department about their inclusion of options such as gender and sexuality and she admitted that students hadn't felt there had been enough, but said if I wanted to then the gender and sexuality centre within LSE was free to me. This offer was kind, but as LSE is known for its intensive courses I just didn't feel I'd have the time to learn what I was really interested in. However it totally depends on the individual :smile: Apologies for the spelling mistakes :P
Original post by Angelic_Suzette
The Manchester department was actually the only department which sold itself to me tbh. However I thought Manchester as a city was alright, but not me...If that makes sense. I think anthropology and even social anthropology departments vary quite a lot, so one has to really investigate the different courses and their specialities. I liked the idea of going to LSE, but found its focus on economics (suprise, suprise) too constricting. I asked the former head of department about their inclusion of options such as gender and sexuality and she admitted that students hadn't felt there had been enough, but said if I wanted to then the gender and sexuality centre within LSE was free to me. This offer was kind, but as LSE is known for its intensive courses I just didn't feel I'd have the time to learn what I was really interested in. However it totally depends on the individual :smile: Apologies for the spelling mistakes :P

Where did you decide in the end?
Reply 636

That's an interesting point. I like Durham as a university but their focus on biology seems a bit constricting. Anyway, I've asked them if it's possible to shift to the BA course.

I too would like to know what you decided on eventually.
I ended up firming Edinburgh, because I loved the city and the university is still pretty flexible with regards to course choices. However when I attended the open day i just didn't get a passionate feel from the head of the department, but that's just a personal thing. I loved St Andrew's from the onset, but it being soooo far kinda freaked me out, but I realised that university is about being brave and going for what you want- otherwise what's the point. So after a lot of hassle I changed my firm to St Andrew's, my only problem is its seeming lack of South Asian elements in the course but the variety of students from different countries will make up for that (I hope). Lol hope this helped in some way.
Reply 638
I ended up firming Edinburgh, because I loved the city and the university is still pretty flexible with regards to course choices. However when I attended the open day i just didn't get a passionate feel from the head of the department, but that's just a personal thing. I loved St Andrew's from the onset, but it being soooo far kinda freaked me out, but I realised that university is about being brave and going for what you want- otherwise what's the point. So after a lot of hassle I changed my firm to St Andrew's, my only problem is its seeming lack of South Asian elements in the course but the variety of students from different countries will make up for that (I hope). Lol hope this helped in some way.

If only I met the requirements of the unis you got into. :tongue: I really wanted to go to Edinburgh but was rejected.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by fbear
If only I met the requirements of the unis you got into. :tongue: I really wanted to go to Edinburgh but was rejected.

I was very lucky (and thank God for it all, believe me). I'm really sorry about Edinburgh, I'm sure they don't know what they're missing. Good luck ;-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending