Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anthropology Applicants 2012

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 15-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Aaaah, everyone seems to be putting their applications in! I better work on mine and get mine sent

My choices:
    Goldsmiths
    Kent
    Brunel
    Exeter FCH (on a whim, haven't got the grades for it really, but always worth a shot)
    5th - really having a tough time deciding! Want a back-up BBB option, but not sure where! Eeek!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I haven't sent mine off yet, just filled in the Choices part
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Aaah, that's a relief!

Anyone go to the open day at Goldsmiths today?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Ahh an area of where there are people like me who get the same strange looks when I tell other people I want to study anthropology!

I'm going to apply to SOAS, Manchester, Sussex, Kent and I'm kinda stumped on the 5th choice.. any people have any good advice for me? I'm thinking of LSE, Goldsmiths, Brunel or something but I'm not sure..

I kinda want to be in a city or near one and not a fan of the sciences as my A levels of Government and Politics, Psychology, Drama+Theatre studies and previously Philosophy+Ethics show.. ^^;
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrsi)
    Ahh an area of where there are people like me who get the same strange looks when I tell other people I want to study anthropology!

I'm going to apply to SOAS, Manchester, Sussex, Kent and I'm kinda stumped on the 5th choice.. any people have any good advice for me? I'm thinking of LSE, Goldsmiths, Brunel or something but I'm not sure..

I kinda want to be in a city or near one and not a fan of the sciences as my A levels of Government and Politics, Psychology, Drama+Theatre studies and previously Philosophy+Ethics show.. ^^;

Welcome!

I have the same problem with the sciences, and although Brunel is one of my back-up choices, the course there looks to be about half sci/half social even though they don't actually want any specific A-levels...

I went to see Goldsmiths on Saturday, but looking at your other choices already it's quite different there! It's a *very small* but nice campus, you can walk more or less everywhere within 5 minutes. I'm biased for Goldsmiths though, as it's my first choice, really. I'm just really fixed on being near London. I would have applied for LSE if I had AAB+ though :P.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Megin)
    Welcome!

I have the same problem with the sciences, and although Brunel is one of my back-up choices, the course there looks to be about half sci/half social even though they don't actually want any specific A-levels...

I went to see Goldsmiths on Saturday, but looking at your other choices already it's quite different there! It's a *very small* but nice campus, you can walk more or less everywhere within 5 minutes. I'm biased for Goldsmiths though, as it's my first choice, really. I'm just really fixed on being near London. I would have applied for LSE if I had AAB+ though :P.
    Ah yeah that kinda rules out Brunel then.. haha

Yeah I've heard good things about Goldsmiths, its near Shoreditch right? I'm a Londoner already so it's nothing new to me

I'm tempted by LSE but I don't get a good vibe from there, a bit dodgy perhaps? Also a bit too academic for my liking? My AAA prediction means I can apply pretty much anywhere but I don't really want to do physical/biological anthropology (UCL, Durham) and nor do I want to go to Scotland (St Andrews, Edinburgh) so I've kinda limited my choice.. -___-
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrsi)
    Ah yeah that kinda rules out Brunel then.. haha

Yeah I've heard good things about Goldsmiths, its near Shoreditch right? I'm a Londoner already so it's nothing new to me

I'm tempted by LSE but I don't get a good vibe from there, a bit dodgy perhaps? Also a bit too academic for my liking? My AAA prediction means I can apply pretty much anywhere but I don't really want to do physical/biological anthropology (UCL, Durham) and nor do I want to go to Scotland (St Andrews, Edinburgh) so I've kinda limited my choice.. -___-
    I thought I didn't want to do biological anth at all and was really worried about it, but so far I enjoy it way more than the social side, so maybe worth at least considering some of those places
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antifazian)
    I thought I didn't want to do biological anth at all and was really worried about it, but so far I enjoy it way more than the social side, so maybe worth at least considering some of those places
    Ah where do you go to? I suppose so but you can see my A level subjects and I've always had a bit of a loathing for science and I am rather resentful when it comes up in psychology!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrsi)
    Ah where do you go to? I suppose so but you can see my A level subjects and I've always had a bit of a loathing for science and I am rather resentful when it comes up in psychology!
    Durham I didn't take any science subjects other than Psychology either, but like I said quite enjoying the sciencey stuff here so far. Maybe that will change when it gets hard
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just applied about a week ago! I didn't do really that well at AS, I only got 2As a B and a random fluke of a D that I'm retaking since I did so well on the coursework. What did everyone else get?

I'm applying to Cambridge just because I live so close, on the off chance I might get in. I'm going on a gap year for a year to Peru so I don't think I could deal with being really far away from them for like four years... I'm applying to LSE, Durham, UCL and Kent
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrsi)

wow! exactly the same choices as mine my 5th is edinburgh. :badger:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LRodel)
    wow! exactly the same choices as mine my 5th is edinburgh. :badger:
    Wow nice! Great minds think alike I don't really wanna go Scotland though.. haha, what is your first choice?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lanatic)
    I just applied about a week ago! I didn't do really that well at AS, I only got 2As a B and a random fluke of a D that I'm retaking since I did so well on the coursework. What did everyone else get?

I'm applying to Cambridge just because I live so close, on the off chance I might get in. I'm going on a gap year for a year to Peru so I don't think I could deal with being really far away from them for like four years... I'm applying to LSE, Durham, UCL and Kent
    I got a random fluke of a D too, mine was chemistry (irrelevant drivel anyway!). I got AACCD and predicted A for EPQ. But we have 3 uni's in common, LSE, Durham and Kent My other two are St Andys and Bristol, good luck!!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm so excited by it all. :d
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madison.)
    I got a random fluke of a D too, mine was chemistry (irrelevant drivel anyway!). I got AACCD and predicted A for EPQ. But we have 3 uni's in common, LSE, Durham and Kent My other two are St Andys and Bristol, good luck!!
    Hehehe, definitely! Good luck to you too!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Goldsmiths is amazing, come here
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know any foreign universitys who do social anthropology in english (i know ofc america & canada..) ?

this is out of curiosity
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey fellow Anth applicants. Got a conditional offer from Goldmiths today for Anthropology. Don't yet know the details. My first offer!!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I've now changed around and my definate places to apply is SOAS, Manchester, LSE and now I'm not sure between Sussex, Kent and Goldsmiths. I don't know which two to choose? Help me people! ^^;
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I guess it depends on your grades. If they are good I would choose Sussex and Goldsmiths, since Kent is a bit worse and I guess will want less from you. I am choosing SOAS, LSE, Sussex, Goldsmiths and Edinburgh. If you want a back up if anything goes wrong , maybe take Kent and see what happens.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 30, 2012
New on TSR

A-level secrets uncovered

Learn from the experience of last year's A-level students

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.