The Student Room Group

Anthropology Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by flume
Nice! What are you doing there? :smile:

I'm living in an orphanage, welllllll excited!
Reply 161
Original post by lanatic
Erm, it was Cambridge, but I just got a rejection! :frown: Erm, UCL or LSE probably. I'm gap yearing it though so I'll probs just apply again next year :smile: What about you?! And thats really douchey of them, they really should make it clear!

I got offers from Sussex (Twice!), Manchester, Birmingham and Kent but I think I'm gonna firm Sussex (after going to look again on an applicant day aha) and insure Manchester/Birmingham :smile:

Aaah, that sucks - UCL/LSE is still pretty amazing though!
Reply 162
Original post by Lucy.Jane
I got offers from Sussex (Twice!), Manchester, Birmingham and Kent but I think I'm gonna firm Sussex (after going to look again on an applicant day aha) and insure Manchester/Birmingham :smile:

Congrats, the whole 5 offers! :biggrin:
Reply 163
Original post by Lucy.Jane

Wow, well done! SO jel! :biggrin:
Reply 164
Just paid and sent:

Goldsmiths
Manchester
Aberdeen
Queen's Belfast
Oxford Brookes

Already so edgy, this is exciting! :wink:
Reply 165
Original post by oxymoronic
Aberdeen are good for anthropology :smile:

The benefit of the Scottish system is that you study 3 subjects in your first 2 years before committing yourself to the final subjects you'll graduate with honours in after 4th year. This means you can study additional things that are either related to anthropology (eg: development studies, specific area/regional studies, or another social science) or continue with another subject that you liked doing at school or alternatively, pick up something you've always thought looked interesting but have never had chance to study. Lots of people start language courses, which is useful for anthropology.

I'd ignore the lower offers given by Scottish universities - it isn't representative of the quality of the course or the standard of applicants. At Aberdeen (and Edinburgh) the offers are generally relatively low yet most applicants have generally achieved top grades at Higher/A level - for Scottish students, the sought after universities at the Ancients of Edinburgh, Glasgow, St Andrews and Aberdeen. The lower offers are more a representation of the fact the Scottish universities are very into widening access and attracting the best applicants who they think have the most potential, even if they don't actually have the highest grades.

Its also a really nice city and university area - I love it. I don't actually live in Aberdeen and I didn't go to Aberdeen Uni either (I went to Edinburgh for anthropology but my boyfriend lives in Aberdeen) but I've spent a lot of time in the city and at the uni as a visiting student, because I can use their library/all facilities as normal as a postgraduate student. When I applied for anthropology six years ago Aberdeen was one of my options but I chose Edinburgh instead. If I were applying again, I'd definitely apply to Aberdeen again as I love it more now I've practically lived and studied there :smile:

Thought I'd replied to this, just realised I haven't!
Thank you so much for clearing up a little bit about Aberdeen, I ended up applying there and have been reading through the prospectus as well. Seems like a really good system and I like how the course modules and layout lets you follow your own interests as opposed to being forced into something. :smile:

Just got the prospectus through today, will be looking through obsessively at everything :smile:
Application was sent off earlier this week, got emails from Kent and Manchester acknowledging it today as well.
Went for:
LSE - Socail Anth
UCL - Anth w/ year abroad
Sussex - Anth
Kent - Social Anth w/ year in the Netherlands
Manchester - Social Anth.

Kent/Manc look like my first choices atm, cos I really want a year abroad and am not really interested in the biological side which UCL make you study
Reply 167
Who got the email from UCL about the written work. I literally have no idea what to write...
Original post by ShinyJaker
Application was sent off earlier this week, got emails from Kent and Manchester acknowledging it today as well.
Went for:
LSE - Socail Anth
UCL - Anth w/ year abroad
Sussex - Anth
Kent - Social Anth w/ year in the Netherlands
Manchester - Social Anth.

Kent/Manc look like my first choices atm, cos I really want a year abroad and am not really interested in the biological side which UCL make you study

If you go to Manc I'll see you there! (got my unconditional in the summer)
Original post by takethyfacehence
If you go to Manc I'll see you there! (got my unconditional in the summer)

Awesome! It's cool to see other people who actually know what anthropology is, let alone people who wanna study it as a degree!
Awesome! It's cool to see other people who actually know what anthropology is, let alone people who wanna study it as a degree!

I know, makes me feel a bit intimidated actually :colondollar: I mean I'm so excited and everything, and I want to finish reading Small Places, Large Issues: An Introduction to Social and Cultural Anthropology by Thomas Hylland Eriksen which is apparently amazing and always useful when doing the degree! But I'm worried either other people will be super intelligent or just did the subject as a doss... no real basis for these worries and I'm sure it'll be fine but ahhh it's all so thrilling, the thought of starting next year :smile:
Reply 171
I know, makes me feel a bit intimidated actually :colondollar: I mean I'm so excited and everything, and I want to finish reading Small Places, Large Issues: An Introduction to Social and Cultural Anthropology by Thomas Hylland Eriksen which is apparently amazing and always useful when doing the degree! But I'm worried either other people will be super intelligent or just did the subject as a doss... no real basis for these worries and I'm sure it'll be fine but ahhh it's all so thrilling, the thought of starting next year :smile:

I love that book. It does a really good job of covering key aspects of anthropology!
Reply 172

I'm halfway through that book now - really, really good! Sold me on choosing anthropology when I wasn't 100% sure :smile:
I went with Social Anthropology: A Very Short Introduction by Peter Just and John Monaghan which is really intersting / informative as a (suprise) an introductory book
Reply 174
I went with Social Anthropology: A Very Short Introduction by Peter Just and John Monaghan which is really intersting / informative as a (suprise) an introductory book

I started both of these books but I ended up doing Guns, Germs and Steel and a book about the history of the civil war in Sri Lanka and the causes behind it, which are very social so thats what I wrote about :smile:

But has anyone who applied to UCL got any idea what to write about in their essay :O I am so scared/nervous!
Original post by lanatic
I started both of these books but I ended up doing Guns, Germs and Steel and a book about the history of the civil war in Sri Lanka and the causes behind it, which are very social so thats what I wrote about :smile:

But has anyone who applied to UCL got any idea what to write about in their essay :O I am so scared/nervous!

UCL make you write an essay? What on?
(My application was only sent to ucas on the 24th due to my referee being sllloooow, so I've not heard back from anywhere yet)
Reply 176
i've got offers from: Hull (with Italian), Queen's Belfast, Kent :smile: all BBB

i'm really liking the look of Kent, have yet to visit it. BUT i really want to go to Hull because of Italian (i'm half italian and really want to learn lol) & the year abroad. BUT kent do offer a year abroad, but i didn't apply for that one because they asked for higher grades (idk why) so do you think, if i visit them i could somehow convince them to accept me for the year abroad one? :P or is this just an idea set to fail... :frown:
Reply 177
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by monicaa
i've got offers from: Hull (with Italian), Queen's Belfast, Kent :smile: all BBB

i'm really liking the look of Kent, have yet to visit it. BUT i really want to go to Hull because of Italian (i'm half italian and really want to learn lol) & the year abroad. BUT kent do offer a year abroad, but i didn't apply for that one because they asked for higher grades (idk why) so do you think, if i visit them i could somehow convince them to accept me for the year abroad one? :P or is this just an idea set to fail... :frown:

I imagine you can switch across. There will probably be people who apply for a year abroad then change their minds, or drop out or whatever. Didn't realise they had lower requirements without a year abroad, else I'd have applied for that... It was supposed to be my insurance and now their standard offer is AAB (when I'm predicted A*AB)!
Reply 179
I imagine you can switch across. There will probably be people who apply for a year abroad then change their minds, or drop out or whatever. Didn't realise they had lower requirements without a year abroad, else I'd have applied for that... It was supposed to be my insurance and now their standard offer is AAB (when I'm predicted A*AB)!

:O i've looked at UCAS and what i have an offer for asks for AAB, i swear it didn't when i applied! aw that makes me feel good :biggrin: especially since my predicted are BBB!

and can't you substitute a choice in :smile:?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending