Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Lifting, boxing and all the rest

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    CURRENT (last update October 2013, will keep updating accordingly):
    Stats:
    23. 165cm, 69kg.
    Training at Physical Culture Gymnasium in Putney, occasionally at Crystal Palace and Brunel University.
    No longer boxing competitively, only working as part of the coaching team for KCLABC. Focus on weightlifting.

CURRENT LIFTS (1RM unless otherwise stated):
    Back squat: 100kg
    Bench: 60kg
    Deadlift (conventional): 7x100kg, 1x105kg
    Front squat: 87kg
    Snatch: 61kg
    Clean&jerk: 77kg
    misc:
    Power snatch: 53kg
    Power clean: 65kg
    BTN jerk: 77kg
    Push press: 55kg
    Strict press: 45kg
    Sots press (btn, snatch grip): 35kg

CURRENT AGENDA:
    05.10:. Open competition at Crystal Palace, qualifying for the L&SE Regional Open. First official wl comp. 56/74/130 results, 5/6 lifts @ 67.48kg QUALIFIED.
    03.11: L&SE Regional Open, Crystal Palace. Need to get 130 total or so to qualify for the English. 56/77/133 results, 4/6 lifts @ 67.51kg. 3rd in 69s
    23.02.2014 English Senior Championships
    2014 June: British Senior Championships

SUMMER 2011:
    Decided to finally make a blog so as not to clog up the Barbelles thread with my gym updates.

Stats: turning 21 soon, 165cm, 65kg.

Sports history: always been into sports, but never anything serious. Chronologically ballet, jazz dance, rhythmic gymnastics, horseback riding, athletics, yoga, savate. Started boxing for my uni (last September, had 3 bouts during second semester, but have ambitious plans for next year), and haven't strayed since.
    Started doing some lifting at home during Christmas hols because I needed something to. Then when I got back to uni, joined the gym and started doing extra strength training. Lifted for a few months very sporadically without any specific program, then stopped. Now am getting back into it, as term is over and our boxing club is on summer hols.

Goal: Getting a good base for next autumn, when our boxing season starts again. Am now focusing on (explosive) strength as long as I have access to a gym, then later will do conditioning and cut back to 60kg.

So I'm not really looking for massive 1RMs, and I don't know how well my progress in f.e. the oly lifts will translate into numbers, but I'll basically just post my workout stats and general thought here. Will also add videos soon, hoping for some good critique.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    Good luck! Another blog to keep a watch on Make sure you keep it update.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Workout 1 today, as I did the other two during the week.
    Started off with some foam rolling, dynamic stretching and warm up squats and such. Paid some extra attention to right hip/lower back along with the quads, as I sometimes have minor problems with that. I'm in general quite flexible, and my hamstrings are certainly not tight, but I think its somehow the right leg's quads that are causing the problems. So that means extra torture with the roller.

Snatch 20kg:
    After warming up did snatches and some OH squats. Had to work with the shorter bar (slapped on 2.5kg's to get it off the floor), so my grip was a bit narrower than it normally would be for these.
    At first the whole thing was so frustrating, since I've already gotten quite good at cleans technique-wise, and snatching felt like going back to square one, as along with the additional challenge with balance, using a closed wide grip felt awkward at first. Most reps were not good, with some really bad ones, but there were some good ones as well. I was still aware that I was pulling with my arms, but I know that will get better (as it did with cleans, especially when upping the weight).

Back Squat 2x3 50kg, 3x3 60kg:
    Squatting felt fine, focused on getting proper depth and keeping the pace decent.

Push Press 3x2 30kg, 3x2 35kg:
    I usually do strict presses between my cleans with 25-35kg, so wasn't sure what kind of weight to work with. The weight felt fine, but I think taking the bar from the rack instead of cleaning it led my hands to be in an awkward position, and my shoulders weren't super happy.

Finished with some stretching and 20min cycling, before I just got bored and stopped.
    Should get some decent conditioning tomorrow, since I'll be checking out the All Stars (boxing) gym with a friend. Also want to test my punching power a bit, if we get some bag work in.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    Good luck! Another blog to keep a watch on Make sure you keep it update.
    Cheers, will try.
    Like your sig, and yay for being a fellow physicist! I'm in my first year at KCL
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aivi)
    Cheers, will try.
    Like your sig, and yay for being a fellow physicist! I'm in my first year at KCL
    Ah this gives me more than a reason to keep track of your progress. Btw. how has the first year gone so far ? :P I can't wait to start my course.. I have been reading so much in my spare and troll time.. bells theorem,quantum entanglement,stellar nucleosynthesis,accretion induced collapse and what not. Is your course strict physics based or are there modules relating to thermodynamics,quantum mechanics ,etc -) Sorry you can reply to me later if you wish to.

Yep it's one of my favorite quotes one which will stay with me forever. Going back in time... it's thanks to the thinking of great minds (physicists) which changed our perception of life.
    =]
    *goes back to revision*
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You're a similar age, weight, height, background and programme to me , definitely in to watch.

I started snatching after I'd gotten cleaning down too, don't worry, things will even out fast - I think my snatches are actually better than my cleans atm, or I enjoy them more.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    Ah this gives me more than a reason to keep track of your progress. Btw. how has the first year gone so far ? :P I can't wait to start my course.. I have been reading so much in my spare and troll time.. bells theorem,quantum entanglement,stellar nucleosynthesis,accretion induced collapse and what not. Is your course strict physics based or are there modules relating to thermodynamics,quantum mechanics ,etc -) Sorry you can reply to me later if you wish to.

Yep it's one of my favorite quotes one which will stay with me forever. Going back in time... it's thanks to the thinking of great minds (physicists) which changed our perception of life.
    =]
    *goes back to revision*
    My course is physics, not astrophysics especially. In first year we covered (although of course not all of it) maths and classical mechanics, thermodynamics, optics&light, electrostatics, electromagnetism, muclear and particle physics, some quantum mechanics... and I chose medical physics as an additional module (other choice was astrophysics, which -although very interesting- I can't see myself making a career out of. I guess atm at least I'm more into medical physics and even engineering).
    Next year we'll get more more modern physics&electromagnetism along with the usual maths and labs (and medical engineering for me).

Good luck with revision!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rubberband)
    You're a similar age, weight, height, background and programme to me , definitely in to watch.

I started snatching after I'd gotten cleaning down too, don't worry, things will even out fast - I think my snatches are actually better than my cleans atm, or I enjoy them more.
    Nice. You got a lifting/fitness blog on here?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    SAVATE? L'Awesome!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tough, but awesome session at All Stars. We hadn't realised that the Sunday training is mainly sparring, so we certainly got a nice and gentle introduction back into it after several months' break
    No gym today, and tomorrow will probably be only light cardio, as I've got another training session at a different gym on Tuesday (and I'll probs be veery sore tomorrow).
    Extra stretching tonight though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Lyceum)
    SAVATE? L'Awesome!
    It is I only had time to do it for a few months (and there was no proper contact sparring) before I moved to London. Here I looked for a club, found only one that was really expensive, and decided to go for boxing instead. I've found that boxing suits me better.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aivi)
    Nice. You got a lifting/fitness blog on here?
    I do, yeah : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1632147

Yay for extra stretching, urgh I really need to get some done, been appalling in that region as of late.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    In to watch dude... or more like, get increasingly jealous. Actually I really wish I was into some sort of ongoing sport/ team to keep me on my toes during the week. And I used to do ballet/ gymnastics (and acrobatics) etc etc too so :YY: from a fellow dancer
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aivi)
    It is I only had time to do it for a few months (and there was no proper contact sparring) before I moved to London. Here I looked for club, found only one that was really expensive, and decided to go for boxing instead. I've found that boxing suits me better.
    Well I Box and Thai Box, never had a chance to experience Savate which is a massive shame. It looks so cool! Good luck.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    In to watch dude... or more like, get increasingly jealous. Actually I really wish I was into some sort of ongoing sport/ team to keep me on my toes during the week. And I used to do ballet/ gymnastics (and acrobatics) etc etc too so :YY: from a fellow dancer
    For me having a class/team to train with is important, since in terms of conditioning I get quite lazy on my own (lifting I enjoy doing on my own, though having a spotter would be nice sometimes).
    Suffering together is more fun. And also having other people, who are better than me at various things, pushes me to improve. I'm gonna be team captain for next year, so being the hardest working person in the gym comes with the responsibilities.
    And even though I don't do any dancing or gymnastics any more (I went to a hiphop class a few times, but I don't have the passion for it to train enough to be good at it, and doing things halfway is not my thing), I think it carried over to me still having good balance and flexibility, even though I don't stretch as much as I should.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not even cardio today, since I slept in and have other stuff to do. Back and arm DOMS <3 and blisters on my feet, which is not so nice.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I seriously need to get my sleeping cycle back on track, got up just before 3pm today. Then had to hurry and get to boxing session at Lynn AC. Was quite nice, although had to work trough the soreness in my back and arms. My push ups in the circuits were pathetic.
    Tomorrow should be cleans, jerks and front squats.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Workout 2 today.
    Once again started with some foam rolling, dynamic stretching, paying extra attention to back and arms, that are still sore.

Cleans 4x2 30kg, 4x2 35kg
    Warmed up with some drop squats and hang cleans. Did a few sets with 20&25kg, but quickly moved up after managed to hit myself in the chin with the bar.
    The proper sets went well, but I felt that the soreness in my back and arms still slowed me down a bit with the racking part.
    Random: also saw a young guy do overhead squats to full depth with 55kg or so, lend him some of my chalk. (Should really buy liquid kind though, the ball I got from a rock climbers' shop is a bit messy)
    Did some strict presses in between, could do 30kg for reps, but 35kg only for singles without losing form.

Split Jerks 6x2 25kg
    Shoulders felt a bit iffy, so kept the weight low and focused on speed and balance.

Front Squat 4x3 50kg
    Went to full depth. Form felt fine, until last rep of the last set was on my toes.

Back Squats 2x3 55kg, 2x3 60kg, 1x3 50kg
    Added some back squats, because I felt like it. First two sets were to full depth, third was to just over half depth, and last one was paused squats at full depth. The paused squats were quite difficult, Trying to explode back up felt so hard at the beginning of the ROM, but I basically jumped to my toes at the end.

Finished with some stretching, and now off to have a hot shower before eating. (my sleeping cycle is in shambles, got up (I woke up many times before that, but was too lazy to get up) at two, and grabbed some nectarines before heading to the gym...)
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    re boxing you ever wanna compete and have a fight?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    re boxing you ever wanna compete and have a fight?
    I've already had three bouts during this year (started boxing last September). Lost all of them on decision, even though I know I had the skills to win them. So now I'm getting more experience and focusing on the mental game, while pysically training up for next year's season (starting in September again). Will definitely have more bouts, most likely the BUCKS and maybe the ABAEs.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 28, 2014
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.