Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Step up to the plate

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    The title is a pun given that it can refer both to the gym, and the fact I'm so skinny. You guys mirin' that word play?

Just kidding, of course. Starting a log because I'm actually going to take the gym seriously now, or at least more seriously. I have been going for a while but most of it was just a disorganised mess of dumbbell routines. It was more of a social thing for me so I never tracked anything.

Starting stats...

Height: 5'7
    Weight: 55kg/120lbs roughly

Squat: 47.5kg
    Deadlift: 70kg
    Press: 25kg
    Bench: 42.5kg

I'm so skinny for two main reasons really. I used to be a decent cross country runner, and as you will all know, it's not a sport that gets you built like a brick ****house. Also the fact that I didn't really eat.

Aims...

- Gain some weight
    - Get stronger in the big movements
    - Stay motivated
    - Have a blast in the gym
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Well finally

In to watch bro
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreebWithaHat)
    Well finally

In to watch bro
    Cheers lad, just got done with an A workout. I was pretty tired but everything went as planned. I had to mix up the order a bit because the bench was being used, ahh well.

Squats 50kg - 5,5,5
    Dumbbell rows 17.5kg - 12,12,12
    Flat bench 45kg - 5,5,7
    Incline dumbbell TUT 10kg - 11,11,11

Rear delt flies, 3 sets of 15 I think I got.

Squats felt easy enough but I'm always conscious of my form, will get my mate to video it again some time. Bench didn't give me any troubles which I was relieved at.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    About time kid. In to watch progress and 20" arms
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    In to watch progress and 2" arms
    Fixed.

Cheers though mate. Just need to eat more and I should be golden. I'll make more of an effort to track/plan my diet.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bad session today, ended up working with the smaller bar for a lot of it. I'm not sure how much it weighs, I'd guess around 15. Only going to log squats because the rest was just a mess.

Squat 52.5 - 5,5,5
    50kg - 6 (just working on form a little)

I need to eat more if I'm going to reach my goals. Should head out and grab some milk (and peanut butter?) later.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    In2watch.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ta danadd. Your back is looking good mate.
    Repeated that B workout today. College gym was dead apart from a few of my mates working shoulders with dumbbells, good stuff.

Worked on squat form with around 50kg, just practicing upper and lower back tightness.
    Deadlift 70kg - 5
    Press 27.5kg - 5,6,6
    BW Chins - 10,6,4

Deadlift and press were both fine. With the chins I was going for 20 reps total, did these 'deadhang' style (I think that's the word, where you let your elbows lock out fully) Not sure if this is a good idea but it's hard.
    Didn't bother with arms today. Strangely, I'm not that motivated to train them right now. Plus it was sweaty as anything in the gym by this point.

Drank a lot to keep me going but nearly pissed myself on the bus home.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks babe , that's actually the only feedback I've gotten from those pictures so far.
    Your chins seem to be doing alright atm - I couldn't do more than 8 in a set until a few months ago.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    No worries!

Eh, thanks, but it's only because I weigh so little. It sounds strange but I wouldn't be bothered if I got worse at them, provided my weight went up. Also the fact that I was doing chins, I'm far worse at pullups.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Squat 55kg - 5,5,5
    Bench 47.5kg - 5,5,5
    Incline bench 12.5kg - 10,10,10

Was pretty gassed by this point, so rows felt harder than I'd like. Possibly a combination of the heat and the fact I did chins yesterday?

Squats are getting heavier but the worst part is finding the best spot on my bony back
    brb no traps at all.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Converse Rocker)
    Squat 55kg - 5,5,5
    Bench 47.5kg - 5,5,5
    Incline bench 12.5kg - 10,10,10

Was pretty gassed by this point, so rows felt harder than I'd like. Possibly a combination of the heat and the fact I did chins yesterday?

Squats are getting heavier but the worst part is finding the best spot on my bony back
    brb no traps at all.
    Good work, your bench is pretty good for a beginner lol, I started on 30/35kg and on my second week I got pinned by that weight lol, very embarrassing indeed
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreebWithaHat-1)
    Good work, your bench is pretty good for a beginner lol, I started on 30/35kg and on my second week I got pinned by that weight lol, very embarrassing indeed
    I might start squatting in a hoody, takes me a pretty long time to get the bar in a good position. Even when I retract the scapula and try to keep it tight, it's all bones up there. 'Not a single trap was seen that day...'

Now you're benching around 80 aren't you? Must feel good now, knowing you can throw 35kg around like a cocktail stick.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I might start squatting in a hoody, takes me a pretty long time to get the bar in a good position. Even when I retract the scapula and try to keep it tight, it's all bones up there. 'Not a single trap was seen that day...'

Now you're benching around 80 aren't you? Must feel good now, knowing you can throw 35kg around like a cocktail stick.
    I would squat in a hoody/sweatshirt anyway because it keeps the joints warm. But on the note of bones/lack of trap: try pulling your shoulderblades together and then pulling the bar actively down. That helps to create the trap cushion you need to rack the bar comfortably.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice pal, I'll be sure to give that a go from now on.

"PRSOM"

(Original post by The Blind Monk)
    I would squat in a hoody/sweatshirt anyway because it keeps the joints warm. But on the note of bones/lack of trap: try pulling your shoulderblades together and then pulling the bar actively down. That helps to create the trap cushion you need to rack the bar comfortably.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

I wish lol, hopefully I can get 70 5x5 on Friday, probs could get a 80 for a single which would be around bw as well which is a start. Also what does PROSM mean, I've tried googling it but nothing comes up :P
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreebWithaHat-1)
    Also what does PROSM mean, I've tried googling it but nothing comes up :P
    It's supposed to be PRSOM (please rate some other member.) The response you get from the site when you have repped someone recently so you can't rep someone again.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I thought PROSM was some girl tv series. Not sure where I got that from though, unless it is?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooEasy123)
    I thought PROSM was some girl tv series. Not sure where I got that from though, unless it is?
    Are you thinking of TOWIE?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Blind Monk)
    It's supposed to be PRSOM (please rate some other member.) The response you get from the site when you have repped someone recently so you can't rep someone again.
    Haha, my life is now complete

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 28, 2014
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.