Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Lifting, boxing and all the rest

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Another good boxing session, this time at the Peacock Gym. Sparring with a girl we knew from an earlier open sparring session, southpaw with heavy hands. Some pads and bag work, and finished with hard rounds of skipping and a killer circuit. Even though it feels horrible when you're doing it, nothing beats the feeling after a good conditioning training. I've kinda missed it.
    We'll see what tomorrow brings. Might have a rest day, as I have tons of little things to take care of, or do a lifting session in the evening.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Friday session was workout 3... having trouble remembering exactly what I did, since I also sneaked some additional sets in. Should have written it down earlier.
    Something along these lines:
    Strict Press 1x5 20kg, 1x5 25kg, 3x5 30kg
    Overhead Squat 5x5 20kg
    ATG Paused Squat 2x3 50kg
    Deadlift 2x5 60kg, 1x5 65kg, 2x3 70kg
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Went to the gym today with a friend, taught her how to squat and deadlift, and then she took some videos of me.
    I know what I think is wrong with my technique (some of it cringe worthy), but will be very interested to hear what you people pay attention to. I pretty much know what I need to do to correct most of my mistakes, but any tips will of course be welcome.
    I forgot to put on pink nail polish, and actually forgot my normal shoes (normally wear the same shoes on the way to/in the gym, put today was rainy, so put on other sneakers, which actually proved to be quite good for lifting)... enjoy

60kg back squat:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjxAwV767-I
    30kg clean&jerk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ_I4wksKTs
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aivi)
    Went to the gym today with a friend, taught her how to squat and deadlift, and then she took some videos of me.
    I know what I think is wrong with my technique (some of it cringe worthy), but will be very interested to hear what you people pay attention to. I pretty much know what I need to do to correct most of my mistakes, but any tips will of course be welcome.
    I forgot to put on pink nail polish, and actually forgot my normal shoes (normally wear the same shoes on the way to/in the gym, put today was rainy, so put on other sneakers, which actually proved to be quite good for lifting)... enjoy

30kg clean&jerk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjxAwV767-I
    60kg back squat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ_I4wksKTs
    Is it just me or are the labels the wrong way round?

Nice to see vids up, gona watch for any tips now
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    Is it just me or are the labels the wrong way round?

Nice to see vids up, gona watch for any tips now
    yep!

Squats looks good.

Cleans, does your gym not have 2.5kg and 5kg plates of similar size to 20kg plates? back is pretty flat which is caused by being that low.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    yep!

Squats looks good.

Cleans, does your gym not have 2.5kg and 5kg plates of similar size to 20kg plates? back is pretty flat which is caused by being that low.
    Whoops, corrected the labels.
    And no we don't have any bigger-sized plates. I think also if I had just started the first part of the pull with my hips lower and sitting back a bit more, my back wouldn't have rounded so much from reaching the bar with my hands (My arms are a tad shorter than normal in proportion to my body, noticed this like a few years ago in yoga )
    And I just realised that though I've done cleans with 35kg (short bar), I've never switched the plates to 2x10kg ones. I will try that next time, and see how much it will help to have the bar higher.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yay vids!

I can't really comment much on the squat...maybe you could go a bit lower? :dontknow:

On the clean and jerk I love your sit down The oly coach told me it's all about getting your bum as low as possible, but I don't know if you can with the bar that low. Until you can use bigger plates there's not that much you can do about that, unless you do hang cleans?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aivi)

60kg back squat:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjxAwV767-I
    30kg clean&jerk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ_I4wksKTs
    Squat looks alright, it's really hard to tell. Clean looks nice given the circumstances (i'd echo Becca's though and maybe work from the hang position) and I'd say you did more of a dynamic upright row (I do that too) than a clean per se, as there wasn't much triple extension. Very strong nonetheless. Have you only just started, if so, that's a good strength base to start with!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    Yay vids!

I can't really comment much on the squat...maybe you could go a bit lower? :dontknow:

On the clean and jerk I love your sit down The oly coach told me it's all about getting your bum as low as possible, but I don't know if you can with the bar that low. Until you can use bigger plates there's not that much you can do about that, unless you do hang cleans?
    I think I need to really work on locking my lower back and maybe try to keep my torso more upright...lower back wasn't looking too pretty here, even though I wasn't going that low.

Hang cleans...I really dislike them I feel like they make me pull more with my arms instead of using my legs. I usually do some to warm up.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozzaa)
    Squat looks alright, it's really hard to tell. Clean looks nice given the circumstances (i'd echo Becca's though and maybe work from the hang position) and I'd say you did more of a dynamic upright row (I do that too) than a clean per se, as there wasn't much triple extension. Very strong nonetheless. Have you only just started, if so, that's a good strength base to start with!
    I did some lifting in January-March, but training was so sporadic that didn't really make much progress. Now I've been training for a couple of weeks, and haven't gone up in weights much, but getting better with form.

even 30kg still feels quite light when doing my "cleans" and I end up not really using my legs and getting full extension (nor really throwing my body underneath aggressively enough)... I've used 35kg, but haven't gone up from that, since I train at a commercial gym, so dropping down the bar even from rack position/dropping after missing the lift would be frowned upon. Our boxing gym has proper mats and equipment though, so I'll get to train properly after summer.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Was supposed to do workout 1 today, but did only a few push presses and skipped snatches altogether because of my shoulder not feeling good. It doesn't seem to like any sudden upwards movements like in pressing (strict press felt better than push press) or snatching with proper weight (just throwing my hands in the air now doesn't seem to do anything), everything else feels fine. So instead focused on back squat and tried out some stuff with cleans.

Back Squat
    1x5 20kg
    2x3 50kg
    1x3 50kg paused squats
    3x3 60kg
    2x3 65kg
    1x3 67.5kg
    2x1 67.5kg

They're not ATG by any means, but I try to get low enough for the barbell to hit the safety bars on either side (see video), so that I know I'm going beyond parallel. The only set I did for less depth was the second last one of 1x3.

Did some stuff with cleans, getting my ass really low for starting position. Also realised how freaking hard it is to get proper triple extension. Didn't really have time do do more than a few sets. Now off to the shower, just came here to update before I could forget what I did.

Also restarted my food diary at livestrong.com/myplate (will post link here and make it public soon). I was going to join the other barbelles at myfitnesspal.com but I didn't like that site at all, it kept making stupid mistakes like mixing up lbs and kg.
    And it's a good thing I started today. I was having a really bad fat-day today, and the gym scales proved it: 67kg . I really need to get an unflattering (realistic) photo of myself up on my wall as motivation. And also pictures of Jessica Biel, she's a goddess and quite close to my ideal body.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Workout 2 today, kinda.
    Did some hang cleans and then pulls to try to isolate the triple extension from the other parts of the clean and focus on it.
    Really got my ass down in the start position, felt more comfortable than last time. Think I did some progress with getting better extension and more acceleration. Wasn't happy with racking though, still felt that I didn't pull&drop my body underneath the bar aggressively enough.
    Clean and Jerk 5x3 25kg, 4x2 35kg
    Front Squat 1x5 20kg, 2x3 40kg
    Back Squat 2x3 50kg (paused), 3x2 60kg

And the food diary sucks major balls. Now I remember why I hated trying to put down all the stuff, like calculate calories for home made food. I think I might even just switch to just writing down my daily diet without any calorie or nutrient counts.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aivi)
    Workout 2 today, kinda.
    Did some hang cleans and then pulls to try to isolate the triple extension from the other parts of the clean and focus on it.
    Really got my ass down in the start position, felt more comfortable than last time. Think I did some progress with getting better extension and more acceleration. Wasn't happy with racking though, still felt that I didn't pull&drop my body underneath the bar aggressively enough.
    Clean and Jerk 5x3 25kg, 4x2 35kg
    Front Squat 1x5 20kg, 2x3 40kg
    Back Squat 2x3 50kg (paused), 3x2 60kg

And the food diary sucks major balls. Now I remember why I hated trying to put down all the stuff, like calculate calories for home made food. I think I might even just switch to just writing down my daily diet without any calorie or nutrient counts.
    If you don't need to write a detailed food diary then maybe don't worry? If a log of what you had helps then you could just stick to that. I need a detailed log otherwise I go well off track, forgetting how much I've consumed of carbs/ fat etc.

How do you find front squat in comparison to back? Out of interest...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How do you find front squat in comparison to back? Out of interest...
    Don't like front very much tbh, but my lack of skill with it might be the main reason for that. I find it harder to keep my back tight and sitting back properly while also keeping my elbows elevated enough. And the torso has to be kept more upright than in a back squat, which slightly hinders going down really deep, at least for me.

And about the diet yeah, atm at least I don't really need to know exact calories/nutrients. I know I would probably lose some weight, even with simply cutting out all sweets and such. But I crave chocolate and such so often, even though the eating part is never as satisfying as I anticipate. It's all in the mind...
    I'll see how close to my goal I get with a clean diet and more intense training. Got some new motivation a few days ago, when I found out that my coach recently measured his bf: 4%! He does boxing, running and some oly lifting at least, and is doing a primal (paleo and "barefoot" running) challenge next month.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Workout 3, didn't feel too awesome and struggled with pressing, but might have been because I barely took a break after OH squats, didn't want to hog the bar and rack for too long.

Overhead Squat 5x5 20kg
    Felt better with depth, but still having some discomfort with wrist&hand positioning.
    Strict Press 2x5 30kg, 3x5 27kg
    had surprising difficulties, but could have been from not taking a break after squatting.
    Deadlift 3x5 65kg
    No issues, but didn't have time to try pushing the weights up, since I ran into a friend (boxer as well), and got talking about strength training and other stuff. Showed him the basics of deadlifting as well as the C&J. He's really thin and tall, but he had absolutely no trouble at all sitting straight into a deep squat while keeping his back looking perfect (well with just 25kg weight used in cleaning). I was so jealous
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aivi)
    Workout 3, didn't feel too awesome and struggled with pressing, but might have been because I barely took a break after OH squats, didn't want to hog the bar and rack for too long.

Overhead Squat 5x5 20kg
    Felt better with depth, but still having some discomfort with wrist&hand positioning.
    Strict Press 2x5 30kg, 3x5 27kg
    had surprising difficulties, but could have been from not taking a break after squatting.
    Deadlift 3x5 65kg
    No issues, but didn't have time to try pushing the weights up, since I ran into a friend (boxer as well), and got talking about strength training and other stuff. Showed him the basics of deadlifting as well as the C&J. He's really thin and tall, but he had absolutely no trouble at all sitting straight into a deep squat while keeping his back looking perfect (well with just 25kg weight used in cleaning). I was so jealous
    Just thought I'd mention that I struggle with presses straight after squats. Much better after a rest.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just thought I'd mention that I struggle with presses straight after squats. Much better after a rest.
    Yeah I will take a proper rest next time, I just didn't want to hog the gym's only squat rack and long bar (there's another one that the personal trainers seem to keep behind lock and key most of the time though) for too long.
    Also just a note, the gym announced that due to increased membership numbers, they would be getting new equipment.....more treadmills, cable stations and another assisted pull up/dip machine. :mad: What the hell? The free weights is usually the busiest area, and we only have one power station, one squat rack and no special bench rack (not that the current racks are really used for squatting that often, but they should be!), and one long, two short and one curl bar along with some fixed barbells and dumbbells.

Side note: next month I will try out a version of the Paleo diet. I think I might do first week or so really strict, and then test dairy and eggs, see if my body responds in different ways. Afterwards might add back some wheats and maybe legumes etc. I'd been debating back and forth with myself about this, but when I really actually wrote down the pros and cons (not counting cons like "I'm a lazy bitch, and will probably get moodier without my chocolate dose"), the results were clear.
    I will need to anyways lose weight when boxing season starts again, and I don't want to waste time and stress over having to make sudden changes to my diet to lose several kilos in limited time for a bout. It's not healthy, mentally or physically. And just making broad changes in my diet might be an easier start (or well, I know that I'll definitely crave sugar and such for the first few weeks, but then I should get over that mental compulsion) than counting calories or exact nutrients.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aivi)
    Yeah I will take a proper rest next time, I just didn't want to hog the gym's only squat rack and long bar (there's another one that the personal trainers seem to keep behind lock and key most of the time though) for too long.
    Also just a note, the gym announced that due to increased membership numbers, they would be getting new equipment.....more treadmills, cable stations and another assisted pull up/dip machine. :mad: What the hell? The free weights is usually the busiest area, and we only have one power station, one squat rack and no special bench rack (not that the current racks are really used for squatting that often, but they should be!), and one long, two short and one curl bar along with some fixed barbells and dumbbells.

Side note: next month I will try out a version of the Paleo diet. I think I might do first week or so really strict, and then test dairy and eggs, see if my body responds in different ways. Afterwards might add back some wheats and maybe legumes etc. I'd been debating back and forth with myself about this, but when I really actually wrote down the pros and cons (not counting cons like "I'm a lazy bitch, and will probably get moodier without my chocolate dose"), the results were clear.
    I will need to anyways lose weight when boxing season starts again, and I don't want to waste time and stress over having to make sudden changes to my diet to lose several kilos in limited time for a bout. It's not healthy, mentally or physically. And just making broad changes in my diet might be an easier start (or well, I know that I'll definitely crave sugar and such for the first few weeks, but then I should get over that mental compulsion) than counting calories or exact nutrients.
    Wow. Sucks about the changes :/ Complaining do any good?

I know very little about this diet but let us know how it turns out for you :yy:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wow. Sucks about the changes :/ Complaining do any good?

I know very little about this diet but let us know how it turns out for you :yy:
    It's more the principle than any real inconvenience to me, since I'll only be training at this gym for a few weeks more before I leave for holidays. Next autumn I'll be living in another part of London, and will need to find a new gym.
    Actually just realised, that I'll be living close enough to Peacock Gym, and they have a lifting platform...
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aivi)

Side note: next month I will try out a version of the Paleo diet. I think I might do first week or so really strict, and then test dairy and eggs, see if my body responds in different ways. Afterwards might add back some wheats and maybe legumes etc. I'd been debating back and forth with myself about this, but when I really actually wrote down the pros and cons (not counting cons like "I'm a lazy bitch, and will probably get moodier without my chocolate dose&quot, the results were clear.
    Will you track your diet and its effect on here? I'm interested to see how it goes.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 28, 2014
New on TSR

Have a UCAS application question?

Post it in our dedicated forum

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.