Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Lifting, boxing and all the rest

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    Will you track your diet and its effect on here? I'm interested to see how it goes.
    Planning on that I should be able to have access to the internet over the whole summer (our summer house doesn't have indoor plumbing, but does have broadband internet )
    I'll probably post a food diary of sorts, and put links to recipes and maybe other stuff I find interesting (and tasty in the case of recipes).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Workout 1. Was going to add some interval cycling to the end, but was lazy and have an early morning tomorrow.
    Mixed up the order a bit, since my snatching is essentially only technical work, so could afford to do squats first.

Back Squat 1x3 50kg, 2x3 60kg, 2x3 65kg, 1+fail 67.5kg
    Squats felt alright, but nothing spectacular. Tried to keep my upper torso more upright and chest out.
    (Power) Snatch 5x3 20kg
    Had to work with the short bar, added 2.5kg plates and found out that using the deadlifting blocks added a bit of height which helped a lot. Warmed up with hang snatches, and the first few reps were horrible. But then it started going a bit smoother, and I remembered how fun oly lifting is...I've just been a victim of the vicious cycle of dread of failure leading to lack of practice which leads to failure.
    Push Press 2x2 30kg, 4x2 35kg
    In a hurry, so basically did these right after snatching. Wasn't happy at all with these in terms of weight. I can still do 35kg strict press at least for single reps, but I remember when it was relatively easy for me :c lack of boxing has probably lead to deterioration of upper back torso and arm strength.

First time I've been in the gym past midnight, and didn't remember that the locker rooms are closed for the night, even though the gym remains open. Luckily the cleaner knew the door code, so could get my stuff and get home.
    Going to have a really late snack of scrambled eggs with veggies and pesto before going to bed. Early wake up tomorrow boohoo.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Gym past midnight? I'm normally in bed at 10pm
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    Gym past midnight? I'm normally in bed at 10pm
    Something I should be doing tbh my sleeping cycle has been in shambles since exams ended. But usually I end up going to the gym in the evening, and try to avoid the crowd around 5-8 by going after that. Training in the morning doesn't work out for me, I love sleeping in too much.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Had an absolute **** session at the gym today. :mad: I've been feeling a bit under the weather lately and busy with moving out of halls so haven't been training lately (well....4 days break omfg). Went today to do cleans, jerks and front squats, but ended up giving up after my sets of cleans and some jerks. Had some kind of sore spot in middle back, right side. I only feel it in certain positions, and its most likely caused by tense muscles pinching a nerve or something similar (it's not close to the spine or anything and isn't really that painful, so I don't think its anything serious like a disk injury). Getting the surrounding muscles massaged tonight and will do light stretching.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aivi)
    Had an absolute **** session at the gym today. :mad: I've been feeling a bit under the weather lately and busy with moving out of halls so haven't been training lately (well....4 days break omfg). Went today to do cleans, jerks and front squats, but ended up giving up after my sets of cleans and some jerks. Had some kind of sore spot in middle back, right side. I only feel it in certain positions, and its most likely caused by tense muscles pinching a nerve or something similar (it's not close to the spine or anything and isn't really that painful, so I don't think its anything serious like a disk injury). Getting the surrounding muscles massaged tonight and will do light stretching.
    Aww man that sucks. Hope you're back in action soon :yy:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday's workout (probably I'll have time to go one more time on Monday, and that will be it for a few months ) was not too satisfying. I was in a hurry, which is never good, and got quite frustrated with my cleans, although they got better towards the end.
    Oh yeah, because it was my second to last session, wanted to have fun, and mixed up the workouts.

Clean&Jerk 25kg, 30kg, 35kg
    used the deadlifting blocks to get a few inches of extra height. Didn't really pay attention to proper sets, just kept working at it. Finally towards the end it started going better, when I really rotated my elbows properly. But I still have the *******, that I keep a hold of the bar after racking it, which leads to my elbows pointing way too much downwards when I do the sit down. I can manage it quite easily with such a low weight, but it's still bad technique. Did some sets of 1-5 reps of strict press also.

Deadlift 1x5 55kg, 2x5 65kg, 2x3 75kg, 3x1 80kg
    Got a new max, which is nice. 75kg was fine, but with 80kg I know my back was starting to curve, although not too badly I think. I should have sit back more, since the weight of the bar would have easily countered it.
    I really need to work on my grip though. I think when I get back into lifting in September, I'll start deadlifting with only chalk. If my hands can't handle higher weights then tough luck, I'll just work on my grip and form with lower weights until my hands are ready.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Good article explaining the basics of Paleo by Adam Farrah. Anything written by Loren Cordain or Robb Wolf is solid as well.
    http://www.thehumanlab.net/uploads/h.../paleodiet.pdf

I finished Adam Farrah's "Paleo Dieter's Missing Link" just in time for the start of my month-long Paleo challenge. I'd been thinking about what foods to eat and when, but hadn't actually had the time to set up proper meal plans. So on Friday when I made a beeline for the fridge in the morning, I realised I didn't really have any idea what to eat exactly. I've never been a breakfast person, and now I couldn't even eat yoghurt or a piece of bread. But luckily the rest of the day was just fine, though ended up not really having much time to eat.

Friday 01.07.2011
    a handful of red grapes
    2 glasses of tropicana juice
    2 kiwi
    *a very busy day including a late night photoshoot*
    small bowl of king prawns with 1/3 avocado, chili powder, lemon juice, salt

Saturday 02.07.2011
    4 kiwis
    3 glasses of banana-strawberry smoothie
    250g sirloin steak and asparagus tips with lemon juice, rosé pepper, salt
    10g conscious raw chocolate (bloody expensive, forgot to eat it before the start of the month. At least it doesn't have anything artificial, and is sweetened only with agave syrup, which is lower in GI than cane sugar...but not going to be a staple of my diet)
    2 glasses of mango-passion smoothie
    small green salad with 1/3 avocado, sliced red onion and cherry tomatoes, curry powder, salt, pepper and lemon juice

Sunday 03.07.2011
    1 glass of mango-passion smoothie
    insane dinner: teriyaki chicken, deep fried calamari with sweet chili sauce, two pieces of salmon sashimi, green salad, 3 tempura prawns (I avoided eating any soy or grains, but ate way too much fat) and as dessert frozen yoghurt (agave syrup sweetened, but still not healthy at all) with berries
    green tea (need to start drinking more of it, especially since I'm ditching coffee entirely)

A bit of a rocky start, but I've already had to turn down dozens of offers of junk food and other temptations. Would be pretty useful having my close family/friends on the same diet, but I'm determined to make this work, even if I have to do it alone.
    Also I've been staying at a friend's place for the last week, going back home now, so will have full (well almost) reign over the kitchen.
    Excuses, excuses...

Good old-fashioned list to the rescue:
    GOAL: To clean up my diet and eat a mainly paleo diet for at least the duration of one month, while experimenting with grains, dairy and eggs. Also get started with weight loss with just general diet change and portion control (will start counting calories if need be). Approx 5kg to lose to get to desired weight category, but might aim to lose more during the summer, and build more muscle again when I get back to the gym in September.

I want to keep a proper food journal in paper form, so I think I will post my daily foods every week or so on here, along with my training specs. I will write some comments about how I feel about the diet, but feel free to ask anything, if I haven't included it.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is great and really interesting. Seeing what you have been eating is pretty useful and encouraging for me because it's actually much better than i had imagined! I'm going to do lots of reading and read your blog and hopefully begin to make changes to my diet at the end of the summer. Looking forward to reading!

Btw, the 2nd link you posted doesn't work.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    This is great and really interesting. Seeing what you have been eating is pretty useful and encouraging for me because it's actually much better than i had imagined! I'm going to do lots of reading and read your blog and hopefully begin to make changes to my diet at the end of the summer. Looking forward to reading!

Btw, the 2nd link you posted doesn't work.
    Thanks for the heads up, fixed the link.
    One of the main challenges for me will be the cost of it, I'm living on a typical student budget, although I don't really spend money on going out. Meat, especially quality stuff like grass-fed organic beef, is not cheap, and neither are organic veggies and fruit. I'm not going to worry about that for now, but will hopefully be able to move towards a cleaner diet bit by bit. When I didn't eat much meat, I bought most of my veggies and fruit organic, but now I'll have to rethink shopping strategies.
    If I was filthy rich, I would probably eat just fresh fruit, steaks, bacon, asparagus, broccoli and fresh salad everyday quite happily
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aivi)
    One of the main challenges for me will be the cost of it, I'm living on a typical student budget, although I don't really spend money on going out. Meat, especially quality stuff like grass-fed organic beef, is not cheap, and neither are organic veggies and fruit. I'm not going to worry about that for now, but will hopefully be able to move towards a cleaner diet bit by bit. When I didn't eat much meat, I bought most of my veggies and fruit organic, but now I'll have to rethink shopping strategies.
    If I was filthy rich, I would probably eat just fresh fruit, steaks, bacon, asparagus, broccoli and fresh salad everyday quite happily
    Just skim-read the Adam Farrah article. Pretty interesting stuff. I think if I started going more paleo I wouldn't be able to afford much organic stuff so I'd probably just try it with what I can get cheaply before deciding if it's for me. If I'm gonna commit to it long term then I'd look at gradually switching over to organic. I need to discuss this with by bf though because obviously we live together and eat all our meals together so he'd have to make some changes too otherwise we'd be cooking separately which isn't ideal economically or socially.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting a more paleo approach to my diet as well. Just basically upping my meat portions and fats in general and lowering refined sugars, white flour and keeping most of my carb intake around training times. Not strict paleo, I'll still be having my milk. Fizzy drinks will be my vice
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aivi)

I think the whole organic food thing is blown out of proportion! I know parents who get their kids "organic cookies". Now I'm not going to tell them how to parent, but were they my kids, i'd rather them eat "inorganic" carrots than "organic cookies". I'm pretty laidback though so I probably wouldn't give a **** what they ate in reality, I'm just saying!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozzaa)
    I think the whole organic food thing is blown out of proportion! I know parents who get their kids "organic cookies". Now I'm not going to tell them how to parent, but were they my kids, i'd rather them eat "inorganic" carrots than "organic cookies". I'm pretty laidback though so I probably wouldn't give a **** what they ate in reality, I'm just saying!
    Yeah to be honest, if you're eating cookies or chocolate, you have more things to worry about then whether the milk or butter in them is organic :rolleyes:
    But for something like meat, I really prefer eating properly raised animals, not only for the sake of the quality of the meat, but for the animals' welfare as well. We are natural omnivores, so eating meat is fine, but we shouldn't treat animals so badly just because we can. But yeah, animals raised in big industrial farms are usually ill, because they are fed an unnatural diet and don't have enough room etc. and this is treated with antibiotics and other stuff like growth hormones are regularly used to get more more meat more quickly. I do not want to have stuff like that in my steak
    I'm a bit more lax with vegetables. Although I have tasted time and time again conventionally grown carrots, that tasted like soap even though they'd been washed and peeled
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)
    I'm starting a more paleo approach to my diet as well. Just basically upping my meat portions and fats in general and lowering refined sugars, white flour and keeping most of my carb intake around training times. Not strict paleo, I'll still be having my milk. Fizzy drinks will be my vice
    It's a good start I'll probably go back to including dairy products like yoghurt and maybe some primitive grains like quinoa after the first month, since I don't think my body has any *******s with them.
    Just reading about organic cookies and fizzy drinks is making me crave some but from previous experience I know that the first few weeks are the toughest after cutting back on sugar, after that it gets easier. I'm going cold turkey, because I moderation has never really worked for me.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    Just skim-read the Adam Farrah article. Pretty interesting stuff. I think if I started going more paleo I wouldn't be able to afford much organic stuff so I'd probably just try it with what I can get cheaply before deciding if it's for me. If I'm gonna commit to it long term then I'd look at gradually switching over to organic. I need to discuss this with by bf though because obviously we live together and eat all our meals together so he'd have to make some changes too otherwise we'd be cooking separately which isn't ideal economically or socially.
    Yeah I won't be able to really buy organic for the next month or two, since I'll be living at my parents' and grandparents' homes, eating their food.
    I think if you plan a little, cooking together even with you on paleo and him not, wouldn't be so difficult. For example if both of you have chicken and veggies, then he can add some carbs in the form of pasta, rice, potatoes etc. Also would advise looking into stews and soups, as they generally don't include any grains or starchy stuff (potatoes can be replaced with other veggies), and only a few are milk-based. I know I'm going to eat later on creamed courgette-carrot soup with lime, chili and coconut milk cheap and tasty
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aivi)
    It's a good start I'll probably go back to including dairy products like yoghurt and maybe some primitive grains like quinoa after the first month, since I don't think my body has any *******s with them.
    Just reading about organic cookies and fizzy drinks is making me crave some but from previous experience I know that the first few weeks are the toughest after cutting back on sugar, after that it gets easier. I'm going cold turkey, because I moderation has never really worked for me.
    I guess reading so much material has made me re evaluate how I eat and how my family eats as well. Even now my parents think that a chocolate muffin is a more 'healthier' snack than a chicken leg and seeing my little cousins getting fed chocolate cereal for breakfast and seeing them get told that it's better than eggs because it has less fat makes me sick :mad:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)
    I guess reading so much material has made me re evaluate how I eat and how my family eats as well. Even now my parents think that a chocolate muffin is a more 'healthier' snack than a chicken leg and seeing my little cousins getting fed chocolate cereal for breakfast and seeing them get told that it's better than eggs because it has less fat makes me sick :mad:
    I sometime completely forget that my knowledge in fitness training, diet and health in general is well above average, but then I come across something like this, even within my group of friends, and remember that most people don't know the things I assume to be self-evident.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    All sounds good aivi.

I'll have a read through those articles soon. I'd love to go paleo for a bit, it just makes sense somehow, but I have some pretty big issues with food etc including parents. It might sound weak, bt you really have to respect the people you live with and if they cook dinner for you, their food and time, it's pretty bad to tell them to stop it. So I'll find a way of gradually changing things and just make sure that the food I'm in control of is good.

I'm not a big breakfast fan. Is there any emphasis placed on timing of meals, or is it more an 'eat when it feels right' type thing? I ask because if I force breakfast down - it's usually something really rubbish like toast and marmite - I get really hungry really quickly, and that's not cool when I'm at work and can't snack on healthy stuff apart from what I've taken... usually meat/ egg salad etc, I end up snacking on crap or sitting there hungry and gorging when I leave/ get home. Admittedly, I have some bad habits and this is why I'm fat.

How's it working out for you in terms of feeling hungry, or prepared, for that matter?

Now, off to kill myself with some burpees or something...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    All sounds good aivi.

I'll have a read through those articles soon. I'd love to go paleo for a bit, it just makes sense somehow, but I have some pretty big issues with food etc including parents. It might sound weak, bt you really have to respect the people you live with and if they cook dinner for you, their food and time, it's pretty bad to tell them to stop it. So I'll find a way of gradually changing things and just make sure that the food I'm in control of is good.

I'm not a big breakfast fan. Is there any emphasis placed on timing of meals, or is it more an 'eat when it feels right' type thing? I ask because if I force breakfast down - it's usually something really rubbish like toast and marmite - I get really hungry really quickly, and that's not cool when I'm at work and can't snack on healthy stuff apart from what I've taken... usually meat/ egg salad etc, I end up snacking on crap or sitting there hungry and gorging when I leave/ get home. Admittedly, I have some bad habits and this is why I'm fat.

How's it working out for you in terms of feeling hungry, or prepared, for that matter?

Now, off to kill myself with some burpees or something...
    Well one of the basic ideas behind paleo is that eating the right kind of diet consisting mainly of fat and protein that keep you full longer than carbs, less simple carbs to cause blood sugar spikes etc. will lead to the body self-regulating, and making it easy to just eat when you are hungry.
    And just as a note, I think the whole "three square meals" or "more smaller proportions" have been shown to not lead to any significant differences in people's health or weight (as long as the overall daily calories and macronutrients are the same), even though some people have proposed that smaller meals more often would keep metabolism at a higher overall level. I can not post any links to any definite research now, so take this with a grain on salt. But in general, I don't think it really matters much whether or not you eat fewer larger meals or divide them to smaller ones, other than that one might be more convenient for you, and digesting larger meals will require more effort for a longer period of time from the body (decreasing at least a bit the ability to focus on boring school work, for example).
    Adam talks about this stuff in the articles, and in more detail in his book. The main things to take into account with meal timing is cortisol levels, that are affected by the sleeping cycle and intensive physical activity. Morning is essentially the best time to train, as your cortisol levels are already up (this is the main thing that wakes you up), and usually it's best to train with an empty stomach or only a light meal. Digestion requires a energy and increased blood flow to the appropriate organs, and this diminishes available resources to the brains and muscles. This is the reason why it's harder to do challenging intellectual work as well as physical work, right after eating.
    One easy way to solve this, is to just fast the morning, whether or not you are training early as well. I'm quite used to doing this, as my body is really slow at waking up, and usually doesn't like any food in it for a few hours after waking.

And I totally understand what you mean about respect. When I lived with my parents, it was their house and their rules, that I needed to respect. I'll be living at my parents' and grandparents' during the summer hols, but thankfully we don't really eat meals together regularly. And the good thing with paleo is that it's not some fad diet that will require special foods, unless you plan on eating completely cleanly. I'm planning on doing a lot of cooking this summer, and I think my parents will appreciate that

As for myself, I can't really say much for hunger, based on these few days. I knew before this even from own experience that fat and protein keep you satisfied longer. With something like toast or biscuits, I could easily just keep on eating tons without really feeling full. I think I'll be able to say more, once I get a better routine established. The last few days have been insanely busy. Today I had to sort through all my stuff and pack my bags for two months of holidays, drank a few mugs of green tea and ate an apple, then had to cook some chicken, that was about to go bad. Then I spent a few hours with my friends, before I had to hurry to a photoshoot, that I got back from just a while ago. Wasn't really that hungry, but rather thirsty and craving something, so went to buy some tropicana and bananas Now finally off to bed, will maybe have bacon for breakfast tomorrow, since I'll be I won't be able to have a proper lunch on the train.

(I need to eat more vegetables, its not good to eat too much fruit, even though its just so easy and doesn't require any preparation at all.)

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 28, 2014
New on TSR

Moving on from GCSEs

What advice would you give someone starting A-levels?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.