The Student Room Group

Further Mathematics or Biology?

I'm taking Physics, Chemistry, Maths for A-levels and am uncertain as to which 4th subject I should take. I have two choices and it's either Further Maths or Biology. I plan to go to university and read Physics but I am still uncertain and might change my mind over the course of the programme. Basically, I'm fine with anything science and maths related but I have several worries about each subject. I currently do not have any plans to read Medicine but my scientific leaning might change from physical to biological, and that is what I am afraid of.

I'll list my reasons in point form for easier comprehension.
My reasons for choosing Biology over Further Maths is:

General interest in anything science-related

Might find topics covered interesting and might change my mind on what to study at university

Generally regarded as an easier option to get A* ( relative to FM ), I also heard that FM material is covered at uni level physics, so might as well take Biology for an easier A* and more knowledge

My reasons for choosing Further Maths over Biology is:

Apparently a respected subject and may have significant leverage over Oxbridge

Possible disadvantage if I were to read Physics at university

General consensus that FM should be taken by those planning to read Physics at university

My first choice would be to apply for Cambridge Natural Sciences ( Physical ) for its diversity. In this case, should I take Further Maths or Biology?

I thank everyone for their patience and willingness for reading this all. All help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance. :smile:
If you plan to apply for Natural Sciences (Physical) then I would expect most of your competitors to be taking FM. Your college may be nervous about your mathematical ability if you don't take FM. If you did gain a place without FM, you would simply have to work extra to catch up. Physics at Uni is highly mathematical.

At other premium Uni's FM would be commonplace for Physics applicants.

But taking Biology would widen your choice of Uni subjects if you were to change your mind away from Physics.

Is it an option to start five and drop the one you don't want later?
If you are applying to the University of Cambridge, I suggest you take Further Maths.

In your first year you have a choice of 2 modules and a mandatory mathematics paper. Further maths covers quite a bit of the knowledge that is required/taught in the paper.
I was in your position a year ago and I couldnt decide so I chose both! :P

For Physics Further maths is a VERY smart choice, especially if your doing Mechanics moduls. The Further Pure stuff will really extend your maths.

HOWEVER, although I was dead set on physics, ive changed my mind for Biology, so I was very glad I took Biology! Phew!

If your not even tempted for a path in Biology, then Further maths all the way!
Reply 4
Until you mentioned Cambridge, I was suggesting that you take an art or humanity subject. When I first started doing my AS Levels, I did Maths, Biology, Physics and Product Design. I liked the sciences back then, but over the course of the year I realised I hated them and wanted a lot more creativity and freedom. I wasn't suited to them, even though I initially thought so.

However, seeing as you did mention Cambridge, I'd suggest further maths. I've heard that the maths in physics at uni is crazy, so it'll definitely give you a helping hand.
Maybe I'm wrong, but if your not even sure you want to do A-Level biology over chemistry, it's very unlikely that you will want to do this at university?

And again, I could be wrong, but it's my impression that applying to do something like medicine without biology is doable, whereas physics at a top university without maths less so.
Reply 6
Thanks for all the replies. It seems I better take Further Maths, although I still have a slight lingering doubt. Seeing all the replies, I have a few more questions, hopefully I'll be able to finalize my decision with these questions.

1. Is it possible to change to Further Maths if I chose Biology instead and vice-versa?

2. Is the advantage of those taking Further Maths very significant, in a mathematical perspective? Is it more difficult to learn FM material at university as compared to college?

3. Is Further Maths really as tough as rumored? Although I would judge my mathematical abilities as good, is it hard to get an A/A*?

4. If possible, could anyone who took Biology to A2 give a brief and concise oveview of what is covered during the course or give a link concerning the topics?

5. For workload comparing Biology and Further Maths, which is more?

Thanks.

Original post by ian.slater
If you plan to apply for Natural Sciences (Physical) then I would expect most of your competitors to be taking FM. Your college may be nervous about your mathematical ability if you don't take FM. If you did gain a place without FM, you would simply have to work extra to catch up. Physics at Uni is highly mathematical.

At other premium Uni's FM would be commonplace for Physics applicants.

But taking Biology would widen your choice of Uni subjects if you were to change your mind away from Physics.

Is it an option to start five and drop the one you don't want later?

I would have to enquire about that. Although I'm slightly reluctant to take five, for fear it would consume too much time and affect my other subjects.

Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :)
I was in your position a year ago and I couldnt decide so I chose both! :P

For Physics Further maths is a VERY smart choice, especially if your doing Mechanics moduls. The Further Pure stuff will really extend your maths.

HOWEVER, although I was dead set on physics, ive changed my mind for Biology, so I was very glad I took Biology! Phew!

If your not even tempted for a path in Biology, then Further maths all the way!

Nice :smile:, you did both to A2? How's the workload? If possible, could you tell me why you switched to Biology in university?

Original post by With an Accent
Maybe I'm wrong, but if your not even sure you want to do A-Level biology over chemistry, it's very unlikely that you will want to do this at university?

And again, I could be wrong, but it's my impression that applying to do something like medicine without biology is doable, whereas physics at a top university without maths less so.

Well, doing Biology in university isn't on top of my mind but it remains a possible candidate ( All Sciences really ).
Original post by Durexal
Thanks for all the replies. It seems I better take Further Maths, although I still have a slight lingering doubt. Seeing all the replies, I have a few more questions, hopefully I'll be able to finalize my decision with these questions.

1. Is it possible to change to Further Maths if I chose Biology instead and vice-versa?

2. Is the advantage of those taking Further Maths very significant, in a mathematical perspective? Is it more difficult to learn FM material at university as compared to college?

3. Is Further Maths really as tough as rumored? Although I would judge my mathematical abilities as good, is it hard to get an A/A*?

4. If possible, could anyone who took Biology to A2 give a brief and concise oveview of what is covered during the course or give a link concerning the topics?

Nice :smile:, you did both to A2? How's the workload? If possible, could you tell me why you switched to Biology in university?

Well, doing Biology in university isn't on top of my mind but it remains a possible candidate ( All Sciences really ).

Im only one year ahead of you, so finishing my ASs, so I have no idea how the A2 course is im afraid. I am however carrying both on to A2, which may say somthing about how much I enjoy tham! :P

1.) Im unsure how difficult it would be to swap, I think it might depend on the school more than anything!

3.) I would say it depends on the modules you take. But as for the core stuff, FP1 is harder than C1 and C2, for sure. (Its also much more intresting, but matter of opinion) Your maths ability will be tested but its hard to say by GCSEs. Did you do Add Maths FSMQ? I did and I think thats what really helped me this year.

5.) Again, difficult to compare! Theres ALOT to learn in Biology content wise, but its not very groundbreaking. Pretty simple to understand stuff.
Further maths depends on the modules...For me ive spend more time on Bio than Further maths.

I just enjoy Biology more than Physics :P Im afriad thats all their is to it!

If your applying for Physics, cram in as many Mechanics modules as possible! And if offerd the choice, chose Statistics over desision :wink:
Reply 8
Further maths or you'll regret it forever
Original post by Durexal

Thanks.

I would have to enquire about that. Although I'm slightly reluctant to take five, for fear it would consume too much time and affect my other subjects.

The answer to so many of these questions depends on you. Any serious NatSci will be able to cope well with FM and get at least an A. Your workload at Uni will be much greater than in the sixth form, so the sooner you learn stuff the better.

I'm prejudiced; so I want to quote Rutherford: "All science is either physics or stamp collecting"
Reply 10
Further maths is a huge boost for any kind of engineering besides biomedical
Reply 11
I had the same dilemma over Additional Further Maths or Biology, and it drove me crazy so I chose both.
As they have changed the system now, earlier you could do both till AS and chose one for A2.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending