The Student Room Group

New College of Humanities

A group of 14 or so university professors are apparently setting up a new university which will be private and charge £18000 a year. They will offer 8 degrees and Richard Dawkins is one of the professors.

(I'm sorry I don't know how to do spoilers...)
A group of the world's leading academics have launched a new British university which they hope will rival Oxford and Cambridge.

New College of the Humanities (NCH) will charge fees of £18,000 a year and offer the "highest-quality" education to "gifted" undergraduates, according to its creators.

The privately-funded independent seat-of-learning will be based in Bloomsbury, central London, and open in September 2012.

It will initially offer eight undergraduate humanities degrees taught by some of the globe's most prominent intellectuals, college officials said.

Professor AC Grayling, the philosopher who will be the college's first Master, secured millions of pounds of funding from investors to set up the institution which has been likened to America's elite liberal arts colleges.

He said: "Our priorities at the College will be excellent teaching quality, excellent ratios of teachers to students, and a strongly supportive and responsive learning environment. Our students will be challenged to develop as skilled, informed and reflective thinkers, and will receive an education to match that aspiration."

The college claims to offer a "new model of higher education for the humanities in the UK" and will prepare undergraduates for degrees in Law, Economics and humanities subjects including History, Philosophy and English literature.

Students will also take three "intellectual skills" modules in science literacy, logic and critical thinking and applied ethics. Practical professional skills to prepare them for the world of work including financial literacy, teamwork, presentation and strategy will also be taught.

The 14 professors behind the project include evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins and eminent historian Sir David Cannadine. All will teach.

Prospective students can apply immediately, with the college offering assisted places to more than 20% of the first year's intake.

What does TSR think of this. I'm not quite sure what I think as I don't know a whole lot about it but for me, on the surface, I don't see why they need to when there are plenty of other good universities in the country. I just feel this is a bit elitist.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Elitist? I don't see anything wrong with it tbh. Apart from the fee of course. They should teach also languages ffs :colonhash:
Reply 2
Original post by AspiringGenius
A group of 14 or so university professors are apparently setting up a new university which will be private and charge £18000 a year. They will offer 8 degrees and Richard Dawkins is one of the professors.

(I'm sorry I don't know how to do spoilers...)

What does TSR think of this. I'm not quite sure what I think as I don't know a whole lot about it but for me, on the surface, I don't see why they need to when there are plenty of other good universities in the country. I just feel this is a bit elitist.

I think it would be a dream for many to be lectured by both Dawkins AND Grayling.
Original post by ussumane
Elitist? I don't see anything wrong with it tbh. Apart from the fee of course. They should teach also languages ffs :colonhash:

Well as I said I dint now too much for from what I read, it seems like a few professors want to set up their own university and charge their own fees. Surely this will mean some won't be able to afford this education
Original post by win5ton
I think it would be a dream for many to be lectured by both Dawkins AND Grayling.

Dawkins isn't my favourite person but I'm sure he'd be one he'll of a professor :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by AspiringGenius
Well as I said I dint now too much for from what I read, it seems like a few professors want to set up their own university and charge their own fees. Surely this will mean some won't be able to afford this education

They are not asking us to pay everything up front are they? We have loans dont we? And we only pay back (in small percentages) after graduation when our salary is over 20 grand or something like that, isn't it? Its just the international students that will have a problem.

(obvs no one likes to be in debt for 10 years...but thats life)
They are not asking us to pay everything up front are they? We have loans dont we? And we only pay back (in small percentages) after graduation when our salary is over 20 grand or something like that, isn't it? Its just the international students that will have a problem.

But si the fact this one will be private different? I only know of one private university in the UK and that Buckinghamshire but do they require people to pay fees up front?
It's a fantastic idea on the face of it, bringing university education back to what it should be and creating real well-rounded intellectuals.

It does seem a bit elitist, and if they don't have an extremely good structure in place to encourage poorer students then I'm not sure. It's private though, so what can you do?

But this a private college planning on charging £18000 a year fees. Who knows if they will expect you to pay up front on not...

But just having Richard Dawkins involved would make me run a mile from this institution. Some of his performances on TV are show his arguments are very weak and based more on what he wants to think than reality (yet manages to present himself in a clever may to make you think he's got strong arguments). I don't think he's all that good and wouldn't want any education that associated with him.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
I agree that it would be elitist, as if it worked out and did become the Oxbridge rival it hopes, it would only really be open to those from very wealthy backgrounds. This would effectively make it possible to buy a good education and opportunities. Whilst it says 20% of places would be assisted, it doesn't say to what extent. Even if the assistance was subsantial, only taking 20% of you intake from middle income or low income backgrounds is pretty poor in comparison to other top universities - only the upper middle classes and upper class would be able to afford this.
Reply 10
Dawkins is probably a great scientist, but judging from the way he is unable to distinguish philosophy as a whole from metaphysics, I don't think he would be a very good humanities lecturer.
Reply 11
Original post by RK
But this a private college planning on charging £18000 a year fees. Who knows if they will expect you to pay up front on not...

But just having Richard Dawkins involved would make me run a mile from this institution. Some of his performances on TV are show his arguments are very weak and based more on what he wants to think than reality (yet manages to present himself in a clever may to make you think he's got strong arguments). I don't think he's all that good and wouldn't want any education that associated with him.

Not to mention the ridiculous amount of bias in his arguments. It's fine to have an opinion, but I think any academic who wants to be taken seriously should at least acknowledge other people's opinions. His programmes on religion really wind me up, not because of the conclusion he comes to, but the way it's presented and this crusade he seems to be going on against religion.
I don't see anything wrong with it, but 'ethics' lessons from richard dawkins? more like lessons in atheism
If they did medicine then I would be like... O_O but they aren't doing subjects Im interested in...
Reply 14
I think it sounds really good, and to be lectured by some of the most eminant academics in the world would be fantastic. My concern would be however, that as such a new institution, its reputation would not be established which could prove a disadvantage when applying for jobs, something which if I'm paying 18k a year I would certainly want and also I think that it would be lacking in things such as sport and a social scene, although perhaps this could be resolved if students could participate in those things with the wider University of London.
Reply 15
Sounds like a great idea in theory but in practice I have my reservations. Some of the greater minds I have experienced do not make good teachers
Reply 16
I don't really see whats wrong with it. Surely people should be allowed to do what they want with their money?
Reply 17
From AC Grayling
We aim to have over 30% of places at the New College financially assisted, either full Scholarships (nothing to pay) or Exhibitions (the fee being same as the lowest fee for publicly-funded universities: about £7000) - and students can borrow from the student loans facility offered by the government, up to the permitted limit. There will also be bursaries to help less well off students with living expenses. We have set up a charitable trust alongside the College to raise money in order to make as many places free or affordable as possible. - Re Richard Dawkins: he and Steve Jones and Lawrence Krauss will be teaching the compulsory Science Literacy course - giving an understanding of science for non-scientists - and Peter Singer will be lecturing on the compulsory Applied Ethics module (environmental ethics, public ethics, business ethics, medical ethics, animal rights, etc) - . One thing not mentioned much in the coverage so far is that there are also Professional Skills units to prepare people for careers, covering financial literacy, media, world of work - with internships and job placement programmes. - And NB this: A higher education institution exists to teach people how to think, not what to think, so the fact that members of faculty like Richard have firm views on various subjects is not the point - though you can talk to us about such views off-line at the College as much as you like! For me personally it is the enriching nature of the humanities for the whole of one's life, not just work, that really matters: we want to give our students the very best push into the world that will help them get the best of everything in life, thought and experience. - All best wishes - Anthony Grayling
Reply 18
I think it's clearly going to put poorer students at a disadvantage because even if they do offer some 100% bursaries, it's still operating for profit so the majority or applicants will have to be able to afford the full £18000 + living costs. And even if they sort out some kind of low interest maintenance and fees loan, private school pupils' parents would probably be able to pay the costs anyway (I read somewhere that the yearly cost would be similar to what you would pay at Eton) so it will still be more affordable and more realistic for the wealthy.

It may only be admitting 375 students but it could, if successful, set a precedent and put Britain on the path to a private university system which I doubt most people want and which would make education a privilege rather than a right (to use the cliche).

Aside from ethics, I think it does have the potential to offer an 'oxbridge' standard education.
Reply 19
Original post by Quark123
I think it sounds really good, and to be lectured by some of the most eminant academics in the world would be fantastic. My concern would be however, that as such a new institution, its reputation would not be established which could prove a disadvantage when applying for jobs, something which if I'm paying 18k a year I would certainly want and also I think that it would be lacking in things such as sport and a social scene, although perhaps this could be resolved if students could participate in those things with the wider University of London.

The qualification will be a University of London degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending