The Student Room Group

BBC Mecca Suicide Bombers "Joke" - Have I Got News For You

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wink commander
can't you read ? Slander of a person is punishable, and that would include my mother. Islam is not a person and the quran is a book of fiction, as is the bible. Start growing up or stop pestering the rest of us with your whingeing. And once again the honour culture rears its head - i am confident you must be Muslim, as insulting mothers and sisters is such a big insult..:-) It just goes to show that your view of women is pathetically feudal, and Muslim

Ha are you kidding me? So the next chav standing on the corner of the street who slags your mum off, you're gonna sue him for slander? Watch out chavs of the world, twobits gonna see you in the dock. I think you're the one with the problem now I've read a bit more, I'm just complaining on a bloody student forum - you're ready to take me to court!

And no mate, I dont recall bringing the 'feudal' system into my argument by mentioning your mum. I just fancied mentioning your mum :smile: Generally proving a point but my way :smile: gotcha offended tho eh.

Ps. I'm a girl. Yeah tell me about it. Boo. Read my posts previously when i wrote im muslim :smile: we're not aliens btw, calm down with the 'i bet you're a muslim'. All part of the human species mate. Ok well this was entertaining for a day, thank you for the amusement, I'm done now :smile: and no, it's not because I can't 'defend' my views, I just need to write a bloody essay now. Thank you much love
(edited 12 years ago)
i couldn't care less if someone slags off my mother, as it were. I hear yours is a whore and i couldn't care less, really. But then the rumour could be mistaken :-)

The libel laws of the UK are perfectly crafted, over centuries, and it would be a big mistake to allow changes to creep in because of a religion. We have experienced religous fanaticism in Europe and we don't need a fresh batch of nutters to tell us what to do.

My advice is don't wathc English comedy if you can't stomach it; the rest of us are tired of listening to religous fanatics complaining whenever their fictitious heroes are made fun of.

Love to you too, by the way !
(edited 12 years ago)
How dare they accuse Mecca of breeding terrorism. As everyone knows that's the job of British universities.
Reply 303
Original post by B-Man.
I didn't find it offensive or funny :dontknow:

Who says Muslims are taking it worse? Jokes about any religious group will receive complaints. The only difference is that TSR users doesn't make threads when Non-Muslim groups write letters of complaint about a show.

:doh:

You just proved the point there by getting defensive. Good fight mate.
Reply 304
Congratulations OP, I think you've beaten Bakmouth's record for most hated post of all time :rofl:
Original post by Retrodiction
When they say something that matches my sense of humor, then yes. A bit of a silly question, really.

Do you like it when they ridicule someone in popular culture? Its funny when that happens isn't it. I like it especially when they do that.
Original post by Fusilero
Yes. I assume we're now all degenerates who lack a sense of humour to appreciate the comedies of Shakespeare and his most gratuitous wit?

"Oh yeah look at this prick, he thinks we should all be like shakespeare LOL well he's wrong, right lads? Yeah!"
Original post by Fynch101
"Oh yeah look at this prick, he thinks we should all be like shakespeare LOL well he's wrong, right lads? Yeah!"

I don't really use the word prick or lad, generally avoid LOL as well. I also avoid having a smug sense of superiority over people's choice of media consumption.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Fusilero
I don't really use the word prick or lad, generally avoid LOL as well. I also avoid having a smug sense of superiority over people's choice of media consumption.

'Media consumption'

are you kidding me?
'Media consumption'

are you kidding me?

I am not.
Original post by Peace0fM1nd

*EDIT: WOW... surely this must be a record breaking thread for neg reps ever! lol, plus it's ironic how some people are so wound up with it and trust me i can take a joke but frankly the BBC has failed to make me (and many MANY others) laugh on this occasion. Surely they can write better material than that and also bring back Brian Blessed!!

Probably. What's truly surprising (and slightly worrying) is the +26 you've managed to get.
Reply 311
I hate

- people who complain about stuff on TV
- Muslims who get offended by the smallest things

So **** right off

Also, Sharon Horgan :drool:
Do you like it when they ridicule someone in popular culture? Its funny when that happens isn't it. I like it especially when they do that.

It can be amusing, yes. Depends on the comedic style of the joke.
Dear Muslim Fundamentalists,

Kindly accept the British tradition of freedom of speech, including speech that you don't like or move to a country that lives a life in hock to the Qur'an.

Yours Sincerely,

People of Great Britain

Neither you nor I have a right not to be offended.
Reply 314
Original post by Pheylan
I hate

- people who complain about stuff on TV
- Muslims who get offended by the smallest things

So you hate 99% of Muslims then? Fair enough.

God forbid Mock the Week ever makes a joke about Muslim fashion.
"This seasons hottest look is: eye slits"

I would expect the BBC building to have a plane flo-/--Maybe that's a bit too far. Just bombed instead then.
Original post by TwoDot
One of the fundamental freedoms we have in the UK is free speech. You watch HIGNFY but it's only ok if they joke about everything and everyone else as long as it's not your religion.

But that is exactly it - HIGNFY doesn't joke about everyone. As I mentioned earlier, Jews/Judaism/anything Israel related is strictly off limits.

As I mentioned earlier, the BBC bleeps out Palestine, but then allows this offensive spew. Just look at Frankie Boyle a while back who made a comparison between what Israel is doing to the Palestinians/Palestine and an angry Jew punching holes in a cake. A very relevant comparison (although the most often quoted comparison is that of swiss cheese which is what the West Bank looks like at the moment), yet the BBC apologised straight away, much to his annoyance.

Similarly, if all Catholics were portrayed as Paedophiles, there would have been an uproar.

I'm all for freedom of speech, but only when it is directed in equal measure across the board. When certain minority groups are targeted unfairly then we have a problem. Which is clearly the case here.

And no, I'm not a muslim to the guy who made some comment about the ummah. I am very active on the Israel / Palestine issue and frequently have to make complaints to the BBC for the inaccurate way in which they report on the conflict so I'm pretty up to speed on their f*ck ups.
Is your corporation supporting the ridicule of my religion?

Well I mean in fairness your religion is responsible for the deaths of thousands of people, although so is just about every religion. So here's how life works, you can either have muslims screaming "Praise Allah!" as they fly planes into buildings full of innocent people or you get to complain when people take the pish out of your religion, not both. :smile:

Muslims, no dumber than any other religious group, but still pretty dumb.
x

But Mecca is the Mecca of most suicide bombers in recent times in the West, no?

At no point did the comment suggest that all Muslims were suicide bombers. Get over it, it wasn't really anti-Muslim, just a poor joke.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending