The Student Room Group

AQA A2 PROD3 Summer Product Design Exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Well I am getting mine from that revision book and Kerboodle.com (Which is ok...). :smile:
Although it is good to look at model answers, try to revise the stuff which isn't covered in those questions, as they are more likely to appear.
Hope this helps...
this exam is hard to revise for :frown:

i got an really high B last year 158... i beleive i will get about 80 in my A2 coursework. Last year the grade boundaries were high for this. I just hope sustainability and the product lifecycle comes up.

anyone got any revision notes to share ??
Reply 22
Original post by copey123456789
I have no textbook, my teacher has just given me a series of model answers of past questions to revise from which we have already answered throughout the year, where is everybody else getting their resources from for revision??

Hey, would you be able to share these model answers if at all possible?
please share model answers
Reply 24
I dread this exam and I am scared for it. :frown:
Reply 25
Has anyone got any model answers / notes they are willing to share? I would be grateful for an eternity!
Reply 26
How many pages on average would be a good length for each question? I have no idea what length I should be aiming for
Reply 27
Original post by bear54
How many pages on average would be a good length for each question? I have no idea what length I should be aiming for

dont worry bout quantity focus on how u link everything cause ur marked in bands and not for how many points u make
Reply 28
so i need to get like 90% in this exam to have any chance of getting an A.... im so ****ed! wish i did my coursework properly now :L
Original post by kylemusk
so i need to get like 90% in this exam to have any chance of getting an A.... im so ****ed! wish i did my coursework properly now :L

me to :frown:
Apparently, last year in june 47/84 was an A Grade! thats 56% chaps :biggrin:
Original post by JessTravers
Apparently, last year in june 47/84 was an A Grade! thats 56% chaps :biggrin:

enter was indeed this low - that was only because it was the first paper in the spec though (new layout etc), i would expect that to go up by 10% or maybe more this time. As we have had atleast something to revise from.
I'd say 55/84 ish for 80 ums

http://web.aqa.org.uk/UMS/ums_converter_a2.php?id=04
Reply 33
Wow i'm stressing, i keep looking at the bloody questions on the specamin paper and most ofthem make no sense what so ever to me...
i mean, "with referance to specific industrial contexts, consider to what extent the computer/microprocessor has been used and assess the improvements associated in:" etc....
RAH
last minute help anyoneee?
Modern technology is used in many industries, and enhances the speed in which products can be made and means that each product is exactly identical to the one produced before it.
In terms of development and coming up with a design computer aided design (CAD) may be used. This involves using computers to generate either two dimensional or three dimensional drawings. The two dimensional drawings are usually referred to as wire frame models, the main benefits of these are, they don’t take up much memory on a computer which they will be saved on, also it gives the designer a way or seeing how the design fits together and where problems may occur, the earlier in the whole design process errors are found the less expensive it will be for a firm to scrap the idea. Designers at Wedgewood ceramics use CAD drawings once mood boards have been created and clients have been made aware of the product. However the CAD drawings made by Wedgewood would more than likely not be wire frame, but instead 3D colour rendered diagrams, this is because there are no mechanical systems within pottery, so the main selling point are the aesthetics, this is the key thing that designers look to develop using CAD, the pre made shapes of pottery will already be saved on computers.
Prototypes are also made using technology by using rapid prototyping technology; this is also seen at Wedgewood as they use a method known as FDM (fused deposition modelling). This is when a nozzle containing a liquid polymer, Wedgewood use ABS is used to extrude the molten polymer which builds up layers of a design until a whole prototype is made, this is useful as the prototypes can be made within the space of 24 hours compared to the time it would take a human to produce out of clay, which was the previous method used before the introduction of this technology. Stereo lithography is another similar method that could be used. Once produced these prototypes can then be painted and printed upon, to give a extremely realistic 3D model. Rapid prototyping technology greatly reduces lead time, which is the time to go from design ideas to the final manufacture of the product. At Wedgewood the lead time for a six piece dinner set can be reduced from several months to a few weeks, greatly increasing capacity and increasing efficiency.
Another method of development used by Wedgewood is that patterns that will eventually be printed upon pottery such as plates can be drawn by hand and then scanned onto a computer. Once on the computer the design can be copied, pasted, cut, saved, cropped etc, which enables a final pattern to be made. This is then saved and can be printed out as transfers, enabling it to easily be put onto pottery and sold.
Reply 35
Original post by InfiniteJIT
Modern technology is used in many industries, and enhances the speed in which products can be made and means that each product is exactly identical to the one produced before it.
In terms of development and coming up with a design computer aided design (CAD) may be used. This involves using computers to generate either two dimensional or three dimensional drawings. The two dimensional drawings are usually referred to as wire frame models, the main benefits of these are, they don’t take up much memory on a computer which they will be saved on, also it gives the designer a way or seeing how the design fits together and where problems may occur, the earlier in the whole design process errors are found the less expensive it will be for a firm to scrap the idea. Designers at Wedgewood ceramics use CAD drawings once mood boards have been created and clients have been made aware of the product. However the CAD drawings made by Wedgewood would more than likely not be wire frame, but instead 3D colour rendered diagrams, this is because there are no mechanical systems within pottery, so the main selling point are the aesthetics, this is the key thing that designers look to develop using CAD, the pre made shapes of pottery will already be saved on computers.
Prototypes are also made using technology by using rapid prototyping technology; this is also seen at Wedgewood as they use a method known as FDM (fused deposition modelling). This is when a nozzle containing a liquid polymer, Wedgewood use ABS is used to extrude the molten polymer which builds up layers of a design until a whole prototype is made, this is useful as the prototypes can be made within the space of 24 hours compared to the time it would take a human to produce out of clay, which was the previous method used before the introduction of this technology. Stereo lithography is another similar method that could be used. Once produced these prototypes can then be painted and printed upon, to give a extremely realistic 3D model. Rapid prototyping technology greatly reduces lead time, which is the time to go from design ideas to the final manufacture of the product. At Wedgewood the lead time for a six piece dinner set can be reduced from several months to a few weeks, greatly increasing capacity and increasing efficiency.
Another method of development used by Wedgewood is that patterns that will eventually be printed upon pottery such as plates can be drawn by hand and then scanned onto a computer. Once on the computer the design can be copied, pasted, cut, saved, cropped etc, which enables a final pattern to be made. This is then saved and can be printed out as transfers, enabling it to easily be put onto pottery and sold.

You are a DON
thank you so much, extremely helpful info there.
best of luck to everyone tomorrow (i know i'll be needing it)
Reply 36
Original post by remsy
You are a DON
thank you so much, extremely helpful info there.
best of luck to everyone tomorrow (i know i'll be needing it)

Not looking forward to this exam tomorrow, I'm hoping a little bit of knowledge and a whole lot of luck/common sense will get me through it. ugh.

In regards to remsy's question infiniteJIT answered it quite well.

I was thinking of going down the route of discussing mobile phone development, and how microprossesors allow the phones to be developed into smaller more ergonomically friendly form factor packages. then you could carry on to talk about CAD/CAM systems of designing and manufacturing the phone and rapid prototyping initial designs to cut costs and reduce time to market which is important in the fast moving world of technology.

the one thing the answer above didn't mention is how computers helped in CAQ (computer aided quality management systems) utilising technologys such as CMM (coordinate measuring machine)

hope that helped a little, I'm just hoping the grade boundries stay low, a 40% A would be perfect at this point in time XD
Reply 37
Original post by Asherz
Not looking forward to this exam tomorrow, I'm hoping a little bit of knowledge and a whole lot of luck/common sense will get me through it. ugh.

In regards to remsy's question infiniteJIT answered it quite well.

I was thinking of going down the route of discussing mobile phone development, and how microprossesors allow the phones to be developed into smaller more ergonomically friendly form factor packages. then you could carry on to talk about CAD/CAM systems of designing and manufacturing the phone and rapid prototyping initial designs to cut costs and reduce time to market which is important in the fast moving world of technology.

the one thing the answer above didn't mention is how computers helped in CAQ (computer aided quality management systems) utilising technologys such as CMM (coordinate measuring machine)

hope that helped a little, I'm just hoping the grade boundries stay low, a 40% A would be perfect at this point in time XD

every little helps!
personally, im very confident for the iconic design/famous designer question. but that is the only one, and i have to agree with you there, common sense is how im hoping to get through this. i love the practical side of DT, got full marks, but when it comes to exams.... that just brings my marks right down. ridiculous education system.
Reply 38
Hello, well I found this http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5M2U6M8B

Sorta helped me its the answers to some of the Exam style questions in the book.

:smile: hope it helps...i reckon the question at the end of the AQA book the very last exam style question will come up or something like it? and the answer is on there ^ worth having a look anyway good guide as to what they expect your answer to be like.
Reply 39
Original post by remsy
every little helps!
personally, im very confident for the iconic design/famous designer question. but that is the only one, and i have to agree with you there, common sense is how im hoping to get through this. i love the practical side of DT, got full marks, but when it comes to exams.... that just brings my marks right down. ridiculous education system.

Tell me about it, I was marked as full marks as well on the coursework but whether it actual comes back as that we'll see, last year I was marked as just short of full marks and had all my coursework moderated down to just below a B. I was livid with my teacher for doing such a shoddy job of marking my work, if she'd done it correctly I could have worked on it more if I knew there were areas I needed to improve on.

Hopefully the resubmission and this years work all goes through ok, gonna need every single UMS mark I can get at this point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending