The Student Room Group

AQA A2 PROD3 Summer Product Design Exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Oh and to InfiniteJIT
wedgwood is a good choice, Jasper conran good designer.
went to a massive empty mansion house party in the countryside which he owns
was insanee. sorry thought i shud just let u know lool
good luck again
Original post by Asherz
Not looking forward to this exam tomorrow, I'm hoping a little bit of knowledge and a whole lot of luck/common sense will get me through it. ugh.

In regards to remsy's question infiniteJIT answered it quite well.

I was thinking of going down the route of discussing mobile phone development, and how microprossesors allow the phones to be developed into smaller more ergonomically friendly form factor packages. then you could carry on to talk about CAD/CAM systems of designing and manufacturing the phone and rapid prototyping initial designs to cut costs and reduce time to market which is important in the fast moving world of technology.

the one thing the answer above didn't mention is how computers helped in CAQ (computer aided quality management systems) utilising technologys such as CMM (coordinate measuring machine)

hope that helped a little, I'm just hoping the grade boundries stay low, a 40% A would be perfect at this point in time XD

i wasnt answering that question.. haha.. just giving you guys some info.
Reply 42
Original post by Asherz
Tell me about it, I was marked as full marks as well on the coursework but whether it actual comes back as that we'll see, last year I was marked as just short of full marks and had all my coursework moderated down to just below a B. I was livid with my teacher for doing such a shoddy job of marking my work, if she'd done it correctly I could have worked on it more if I knew there were areas I needed to improve on.

Hopefully the resubmission and this years work all goes through ok, gonna need every single UMS mark I can get at this point.

That must have been so annoying.. My teacher hated the guts out of me last year and tried to mark me as low as possible, but still got a B. This year relations have improved greatly and he states i got full marks, but still we never know.
what did you make this year?
Reply 43
Original post by InfiniteJIT
i wasnt answering that question.. haha.. just giving you guys some info.

exactlly my point being wtf is this exam lool
This is hard but if you just make sure you keep reading the actual question and dont start rambling... just try and stick to the question in hand and make your answer concise.
only need to be going for about 17 on each question, if the grade boundaries only go up a little bit..... anyone got any work on a design or an iconic design, this is the only section i dislike. would be a great help for last min revision, i know abit about alec issigonis and the mini but not 28 marks worth.
Reply 45
Original post by remsy
That must have been so annoying.. My teacher hated the guts out of me last year and tried to mark me as low as possible, but still got a B. This year relations have improved greatly and he states i got full marks, but still we never know.
what did you make this year?

I designed a 5000sqft home situated in an expensive local woodland area, then made a 1:50 scale model :smile:

I'll be annoyed if it does get marked down because I put a hella lot of effort into it, I tend to do much better with the concept ideas at any rate compared to the stupid analysis crap we had to do last year, got an A* at GCSE with a similar style project designing a home, so hopefully it pulls through this year.

if I get the grades Ill be heading off to Kingston to study architecture :smile:
Reply 46
This is hard but if you just make sure you keep reading the actual question and dont start rambling... just try and stick to the question in hand and make your answer concise.
only need to be going for about 17 on each question, if the grade boundaries only go up a little bit..... anyone got any work on a design or an iconic design, this is the only section i dislike. would be a great help for last min revision, i know abit about alec issigonis and the mini but not 28 marks worth.

Ha thats the only section i feel confident for!
i know its bait, but im choosing jonathan ive for the ipod
this is what i would awnser
"The ipod is the first consumer icon of the 21st centuary. it represents aperfect companionship between aesthetics and functionality and sound and touch.
The design is just flawless. it feels good to hold it in your hand, to rub your thumb over the navigation wheel and to touch the smooth surface on both sides. in my opinion the ipod represents and holds an important part of my life.this is purely because of many reasons: i now listen to music where and whenever i can, when i walk from school, on the bus, on holiday, on a trail, even at home if my mum is trying to work and i dont want to disturbe her.
The ipod allows people to move to the rythem of their music, not the rythem of the streets. in tune with peoples thoughts, their chosen music enables them to focus on their feelings and desires. the ipod generally makes a happier and more confident day. the ipod has taken over any other form of mp3, video cassete and cd players and almost 8 out of 10 people have one. this is an example of how popular the ipod has become from its beautiful sleek simple design and feel to its easy and fun functions. all round the ipod has and will stay int he memory and will evolve with new materials and technologies.

Hope this helps... not sure if this would gain full marks or not but ye... enjoy
Reply 47
Original post by Asherz
I designed a 5000sqft home situated in an expensive local woodland area, then made a 1:50 scale model :smile:

I'll be annoyed if it does get marked down because I put a hella lot of effort into it, I tend to do much better with the concept ideas at any rate compared to the stupid analysis crap we had to do last year, got an A* at GCSE with a similar style project designing a home, so hopefully it pulls through this year.

if I get the grades Ill be heading off to Kingston to study architecture :smile:

thats wicked! i was thinking of designing a modern/contemporary home...
but then i realised i had the most beautiful pear tree wood drying in our garrage and had to make use of it. its not unusual, but i made a garden bench designed for my garden.. its L shaped and looks booom.
good luck with that! would love to see how you made the 1:50 scale model...
Original post by remsy
Ha thats the only section i feel confident for!
i know its bait, but im choosing jonathan ive for the ipod
this is what i would awnser
"The ipod is the first consumer icon of the 21st centuary. it represents aperfect companionship between aesthetics and functionality and sound and touch.
The design is just flawless. it feels good to hold it in your hand, to rub your thumb over the navigation wheel and to touch the smooth surface on both sides. in my opinion the ipod represents and holds an important part of my life.this is purely because of many reasons: i now listen to music where and whenever i can, when i walk from school, on the bus, on holiday, on a trail, even at home if my mum is trying to work and i dont want to disturbe her.
The ipod allows people to move to the rythem of their music, not the rythem of the streets. in tune with peoples thoughts, their chosen music enables them to focus on their feelings and desires. the ipod generally makes a happier and more confident day. the ipod has taken over any other form of mp3, video cassete and cd players and almost 8 out of 10 people have one. this is an example of how popular the ipod has become from its beautiful sleek simple design and feel to its easy and fun functions. all round the ipod has and will stay int he memory and will evolve with new materials and technologies.

Hope this helps... not sure if this would gain full marks or not but ye... enjoy

This is good, but i think it lacks a little bit of actual design terminology i feel.
to up the marks, talk about how the actual firm/designer has benefited, so asin they have meant people are switching from CD's to mp3#s which can be bought online at apple's own itunes, this is affecting the competition in the market such as zavvi and woolworths have gone bust, HMV have annouced major falls in demand.
Actally talk about the innovation and maybe how it works. What makes it unique in terms of function, it has simplistic controls that could be used by youngsters, erm the screen aswell has minimal colour to save battery life, the battery will be either lithium ion or Nicad as these have high power to wieght ratio, meaning they last along time. People rely on ipod's day to day so they need to last along time.
etc etc
hope this helps somewhat
Reply 49
This is good, but i think it lacks a little bit of actual design terminology i feel.
to up the marks, talk about how the actual firm/designer has benefited, so asin they have meant people are switching from CD's to mp3#s which can be bought online at apple's own itunes, this is affecting the competition in the market such as zavvi and woolworths have gone bust, HMV have annouced major falls in demand.
Actally talk about the innovation and maybe how it works. What makes it unique in terms of function, it has simplistic controls that could be used by youngsters, erm the screen aswell has minimal colour to save battery life, the battery will be either lithium ion or Nicad as these have high power to wieght ratio, meaning they last along time. People rely on ipod's day to day so they need to last along time.
etc etc
hope this helps somewhat

Ah brilliant! i have also done a sketch of the ipod (front, top and bottom) and annotated it in detail which does cover many points about the aesthetics and the easy use.
i would also add, its perfect size for the pocket, weight is perfect, fels very nice to hold, simmple button use and scrolling technique..
You seem to have very detailed and in depth awnsers, if i was you i wouldnt be worried one bit! sounds like you got this exam on lock.
and again thanks for the help
Original post by remsy
Ah brilliant! i have also done a sketch of the ipod (front, top and bottom) and annotated it in detail which does cover many points about the aesthetics and the easy use.
i would also add, its perfect size for the pocket, weight is perfect, fels very nice to hold, simmple button use and scrolling technique..
You seem to have very detailed and in depth awnsers, if i was you i wouldnt be worried one bit! sounds like you got this exam on lock.
and again thanks for the help

rep me, ive repped you ;D

nahhh im not sure about that buddy.

just hope certain things come up. As in.... sustainability and the environment, health and safety, technology, modelling, mobile phones development.... these topics will be amazing, whereas anthropometrics, quality and famous designers are awful topics that i hate

Good luck to you to :smile: Hope the questions go our way.
Reply 51
rep me, ive repped you ;D

nahhh im not sure about that buddy.

just hope certain things come up. As in.... sustainability and the environment, health and safety, technology, modelling, mobile phones development.... these topics will be amazing, whereas anthropometrics, quality and famous designers are awful topics that i hate

Good luck to you to :smile: Hope the questions go our way.

haha well it seems your a lot more confident in more areas than me, but yes best of luck for the billionth time!
and yee i shal rep you if i find out hot to do it lool, just joined this website today, very helpful, wish i'd joined at a closer date!
Reply 52
Good luck everyone today! :smile:
Good luck to everyone indeed!!
Reply 54
Good luck, praying for a miracle :smile:
Also be prepared, apparently last year the answer booklets had no lines on them.... so try to keep your writing straight.
And as we have s choice of questions, try and choose which ones your going to do first. Apparently your not meant to do questions not in orders.
As in dont do 1,5,2 do 1,2,5 :biggrin:
Reply 56
AHA I'm such an idiot, I've just realised I'm on edexcel exam board, good job I had the correct revision book :tongue:

I was getting worried reading all of your answers :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Asherz
AHA I'm such an idiot, I've just realised I'm on edexcel exam board, good job I had the correct revision book :tongue:

I was getting worried reading all of your answers :biggrin:

try to relate where possible to industry. you'll be fine.

car industry is the main one. or cansa
Anyone have a rough idea of how long answers should be per marks?!
Reply 59
Just came out of this exam.

I didn't read the question right, and only did one 'part' of each 'question'. Realised at the end with half an hour to spare, and quickly did the rest. Luckily I think I've done really well on the first 3 questions I did, and hopefully managed to gain a few marks on the rest.

Fingers crossed!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending