The Student Room Group

OCR (not MEI) M1 - 20/06/2011

Haven't seen a thread on this exam yet so here goes. How's the revision going for everyone?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
HORRIBLE, got one week left to literally perfect it, any tips??
Reply 2
Same as above, i can answer textbook questions, but cannot answer exam questions!?!
It's not going anywhere. I'm doing it as part of Further AS and it makes me want to cry.
Reply 4
Original post by RunLikeAFairy
It's not going anywhere. I'm doing it as part of Further AS and it makes me want to cry.

So wish i did S1 in the first year.
The other 5 say they hate stats (we're doing S2 at the moment as well) and they'd prefer to do mechanics. So I'm doing M2 instead of S3 as a unit. *facepalm*

IMO, C2>FP1>C1>S2>S1>>>>>>M1 in difficulty. C1 would be easier if I could use my calculator, my mental skills are crap :tongue:

All I can say, tipwise, is to make sure that when doing separate equations (as in multiple objects) you make it clear what's what, so that you don't forget and make them equal to solve later on.

Bleh, I always manage to forget a force and I HATE tension. Haven't been taught a thing on tension and as a result I know **** all about it.
Reply 6
have any of you got the Jan 11 mark scheme?
Reply 7
Original post by Contrad!ction.
The other 5 say they hate stats (we're doing S2 at the moment as well) and they'd prefer to do mechanics. So I'm doing M2 instead of S3 as a unit. *facepalm*

IMO, C2>FP1>C1>S2>S1>>>>>>M1 in difficulty. C1 would be easier if I could use my calculator, my mental skills are crap :tongue:

All I can say, tipwise, is to make sure that when doing separate equations (as in multiple objects) you make it clear what's what, so that you don't forget and make them equal to solve later on.

Bleh, I always manage to forget a force and I HATE tension. Haven't been taught a thing on tension and as a result I know **** all about it.

Im meant to be self teaching either FP3 and S3 or M3 for next year, but seeing as im taking S2 in jan i'll do S3 because i dont fancy a third mechanics module :tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by simonc1993
have any of you got the Jan 11 mark scheme?

I direct you to this very excellent thread, specifically Mr M's answer post. My answers are also above, along with a copy of the paper. Looking over my answers again, the UMS was quite generous :smile:
Im hoping for a nice paper, trouble with M1 is that the paper is either really easy or difficult. There is like no in between. =/
And if one question gets messed up, it can mean the difference between grades...

Hate those huge ones that require thinking, because normally I use my hands to illustrate it. I can just imagine doing that in an exam.

How did you find C2 harder than FP1?
C2 requires hardly any thinking. All that integration and the rest of it is just "automatic".

From my experience: D1>FP1>S1>C2>M1>C1
Original post by MathematicsKiller
How did you find C2 harder than FP1?
C2 requires hardly any thinking. All that integration and the rest of it is just "automatic".

From my experience: D1>FP1>S1>C2>M1>C1

I didn't. Other way round. From easiest to hardest: C2 being the easiest and M1 being the hardest.

Although saying that, I think I dropped fewer marks in FP1 than in C2.
Reply 13
someone please help me with this question????
part ii)!!!!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=32262661#post32262661
Can someone please explain Jan 2011 question 7 part ii) If They have it? It is making no sense to me :frown:
Original post by SharpSchool
Can someone please explain Jan 2011 question 7 part ii) If They have it? It is making no sense to me :frown:

Can do. :smile:

It's not the normal contact force they're asking for in this question, which is where most of the confusion arises. Normal contact force is the resultant of all the forces acting on the slope. It's the asterixed section of M1: Section 10.4.

M1 book
"Whenever you have a frictional force, there is always a normal contact force at right angles to it. The normal contact force and friction can therefore be combined to give a resultant called the total contact force..."

And it's worded terribly: the 'angle between the contact force and the upward direction of the line of greatest slope' is just parallel to the slope, going up it.

If you want I'll put a step-by-step up for ii)a) and ii)b) for you. It'll be made in Paint though :tongue:

EDIT: done it anyway. Ffr=frictional force and R=normal contact force. F=total contact force.

Sorry about the handwriting, I'm on my laptop :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Sparkzz
someone please help me with this question????
part ii)!!!!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=32262661#post32262661

Ah, I've literally just done this question! June 10, Q5?

(Because my maths teacher was taking the piss out of how I'd forgotten the area of a triangle formula, oopsie)

i) Displacement is the area under this graph. Use the area of a triangle formula to get 30m, using 3 as the height and 20 as the base. 0.5x3x20=30m.

ii) Again, area under the graph. We know that the lorry travels for 4 seconds at 3ms-1, making the displacement there 12m. The area under that shape - trapezium? is 30, from i). 30-12=18 for the area of the triangle you get when you remove that rectangle. Use the area formula again to get the base length and add that to the 64s you've already worked out. 0.5x3xbase=18=>base=12s. 12+64=76s.

iii) This time, using the gradient to find acceleration. We know that between the beginning of the trapezium there's 16s. We want the time taken for deceleration. Using the acceleration and the velocity we can get the time taken for the acceleration: the gradient is 0.4 and the y value is 3. 3t\frac{3}{t}=0.4=>t=7.5s. Taking away the acceleration and constant velocity times (4+7.5=11.5) to get 16-11.5=4.5s, we can now find the gradient of the deceleration: gradient=34.5\frac{3}{4.5}=0.667ms-2

I wrote much more than I meant to there, but hopefully you get the gist of what I'm trying to say. :smile:
Reply 17
I think I'm going to fail this exam. :frown:
Original post by goggy
I think I'm going to fail this exam. :frown:

So did I. Somehow, past papers have done it again. Try whacking through some of them - if you have any issues then post them in here. Quote me in and I'll see what I can do. I thought I was going to fail - got 1 mark into the D boundary in my mock - but now I'm getting highish 60s, which I'm pretty happy about. :smile:

I'm happy to help - if there's specific questions I can help on I'll try to.
Reply 19
So did I. Somehow, past papers have done it again. Try whacking through some of them - if you have any issues then post them in here. Quote me in and I'll see what I can do. I thought I was going to fail - got 1 mark into the D boundary in my mock - but now I'm getting highish 60s, which I'm pretty happy about. :smile:

I'm happy to help - if there's specific questions I can help on I'll try to.

I'm going through papers now. :smile:

There's a question on the Jan 2011 paper that's bothering me... question 5. Have you got access to that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending