The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Random - Anyone done electives at the language centre?

Hi,
Basically when I (hopefully) head to Leeds in September, I'm hoping to carry on learning Italian and also start Spanish. However I am undecided on several things, My course would allow me to take both a spanish & Italian module & that would fill my quota of electives for the year, but a friend has told me attempting both at the same time could possibly be a big mistake!
So I'm considering perhaps just doing the Spanish at Leeds City College/ Instituto Cervantes (my degree doesn't involve much time in uni..) and just doing the Italian. But what I really want to know, is if the modules at the language centre are actually any good, and basically, are they worth taking?

Thanks - sorry for the ramble!
Reply 1
I'd be interested to know about this as well!
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
I study French at Leeds Uni (second year) and decided to take beginner's German as one of my electives in first year. The language centre modules are fab. I drastically underestimated the amount of hours you need to put in though - you are looking at at least 10 hours of work outside of your 2 timetabled hours per week, just to keep on top of everything. But after starting knowing zero German, I got a first, and am now equivalent to GCSE standard, so it is worth the hard work.
The resources in the language lab are also really good, and l found them to be really useful.
I'd definitely recommend taking a language elective :smile:
Original post by ali_baba
I study French at Leeds Uni (second year) and decided to take beginner's German as one of my electives in first year. The language centre modules are fab. I drastically underestimated the amount of hours you need to put in though - you are looking at at least 10 hours of work outside of your 2 timetabled hours per week, just to keep on top of everything. But after starting knowing zero German, I got a first, and am now equivalent to GCSE standard, so it is worth the hard work.
The resources in the language lab are also really good, and l found them to be really useful.
I'd definitely recommend taking a language elective :smile:

Hiya! im hopefully going to be doing French and Linguistics at Leeds in September, was just wondering if you could tell me more about the course :smile: likee how many hours/modules per week etc :smile: would be very grateful! thanksss x
Reply 4
How long do the elective courses last (a semester or a year?) and how many are you allowed to take at a time?
Reply 5
Original post by marocchino
How long do the elective courses last (a semester or a year?) and how many are you allowed to take at a time?

Hey, well how many you can take depends on how many free electives your course gives you, mine gives me 40 (for example).

Probably this is the best thing to look at:

http://webprod1.leeds.ac.uk/catalogue/modulesearch.asp?L=UG&Y=201112&F=M&E=LANG&N=all&S=&A=any

If you scroll down to the Foreign Language electives you can see what's on offer :smile:
Reply 6
Hi, I just finished my first year at Leeds uni and did Italian electives myself, and have a friend who did both Spanish and Italian whilst her undergraduate degree was French.
I can tell you that the Italian department is amazing, and is classed in the Guardian as third only after oxbridge. All but one of the teachers (there are about 5 of them) are native italian speakers, and are always on hand and willing to help via email or meeting up with you. That said, the teaching is so good that the only time I've needed to email in anything was to hand in homework late!
I know that the spanish electives at the university are not as good as the italian dept. However if you are a 'natural at languages' you should be fine, and if not it will probably just require a bit of extra effort and time.
However, I would say that studying within the university is preferable to studying at leeds city college. It is probably just easier and you might find it stressful having so many extra electives and taking different classes in addition to maintaining spanish as an 'outside course' not contributing to any credits.
This is just my opinion, but spanish and italian are quite similar languages (both derived from latin, obvs) and I am fluent in Spanish alreaddy.
I hope I have been useful! Good luck for next year, you will love Leeds :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by jnicp
Hi, I just finished my first year at Leeds uni and did Italian electives myself, and have a friend who did both Spanish and Italian whilst her undergraduate degree was French.
I can tell you that the Italian department is amazing, and is classed in the Guardian as third only after oxbridge. All but one of the teachers (there are about 5 of them) are native italian speakers, and are always on hand and willing to help via email or meeting up with you. That said, the teaching is so good that the only time I've needed to email in anything was to hand in homework late!
I know that the spanish electives at the university are not as good as the italian dept. However if you are a 'natural at languages' you should be fine, and if not it will probably just require a bit of extra effort and time.
However, I would say that studying within the university is preferable to studying at leeds city college. It is probably just easier and you might find it stressful having so many extra electives and taking different classes in addition to maintaining spanish as an 'outside course' not contributing to any credits.
This is just my opinion, but spanish and italian are quite similar languages (both derived from latin, obvs) and I am fluent in Spanish alreaddy.
I hope I have been useful! Good luck for next year, you will love Leeds :biggrin:

Thank you so much! The native thing is really good - my old italian teacher was italian & it really does make all the difference! My grandma's Italian as well so obviously fluent and she promised to help me if I had any problems but by the sounds of the department it'll be fine & I am quiet lucky in that language seems to be a talent of mine. Think I will go for the Spanish as well - learning languages is something that's really important for me and now I've got a chance I might as well take, I'm more than willing to put in the effort so why not - and has the obvious benefit of being free and apparently the language lab is really good (so I've heard) :smile: thanks for your help/advice - so excited already haha.
Hi, I did Lower Intermediate in German (got a GCSE in German two years previously). I didn't get on with the teacher at all and felt a bit lost in the class, I found the transition quite a jump as I had forgotten most of my German over the two years - however, I got a result of a 2:1!! [:

Despite not enjoying German, I think I would've if I had kept up with the work. I am taking an elective in Beginners Spanish next year and it hasn't put me off at all. [: They have amazing resources and most teachers seem to be brilliant. I have two friends that did Beginners and Advanced French, and both found the course really good with fantastic teachers. The beginners courses it is 50% coursework - a portfolio of work through the year, then 25% listening test (relaxed, in class) and a short speaking exam. It seems quite relaxed and German. For my lower intermediate it was all exam, made up of tests in class and ten a speaking exam and a formal listening exam. Maybe contact the module co-ordinator to see how it is structured and whether it suits you. [:

Also this sounds pedantic - but check the timetabled slot! My German was my only 2 hour thing (everything else was one hour) and my only 9am start. As I only had late starts, I quickly adjusted to a student body clock (most people in halls stay up until about 1/2am when they are staying in - it just sort of becomes normal. When it's 11pm it doesn't feel like sleep time), so it became that for 9am I was half-asleep, which wasn't great for me for an interactive, hands on lesson. Not saying avoid 9ams, but bear this in mind and be prepared. [: x
I'm hoping to do A French module,or a couple to fill my electives next year,but my course combination is a bit weird,Does anyone know if I would be able to take a French module even though I'm doing (hopefully) a degree in biochemistry?
Reply 10
Original post by JessicaacisseJ
I'm hoping to do A French module,or a couple to fill my electives next year,but my course combination is a bit weird,Does anyone know if I would be able to take a French module even though I'm doing (hopefully) a degree in biochemistry?

I think if the module is listed as an elective without prerequisites it should be free for anyone, it's what they said at the open day: a lot of people take electives that sort of tie in with their course and others just mix and match, they told us we could to textile design to philosophy to history to languages, etc.

You should be fine. I think it would be harder the other way around, i.e. a language student trying to take up a chemistry elective. ;D
Original post by vief
I think if the module is listed as an elective without prerequisites it should be free for anyone, it's what they said at the open day: a lot of people take electives that sort of tie in with their course and others just mix and match, they told us we could to textile design to philosophy to history to languages, etc.

You should be fine. I think it would be harder the other way around, i.e. a language student trying to take up a chemistry elective. ;D

thanks :smile: I'm doing a-level at the minute,and hoping to do an international year,so hopefully,it'll tie in :smile:
Don't underestimate these extra language electives. If you are the studious type who just wants to take any opportunity to learn more languages, and have a flair for learning languages then it's fair enough but it is likely to mean more work so the danger is it sounds cool before you arrive but when you get there you will have a lot more work on than other people in your flat and will be jealous when you miss out on social life time compared to them.

Quick Reply

Latest