The Student Room Group

Doing Highers at college/university?

Hi.

Has anyone else done their Highers at a college or university? I dropped out of secondary school in 4th year (unfairly I felt) and now a few year later, I'm hoping to basically repair the damage (I'm now almost 20).

I've applied for a few separate year long courses such as "Passport To Highers" and "NQ 1/2 Entry To Further Education" and I'm not entirely sure what to expect. Has anyone else done something similar and can offer some infor/experience as to what it was like?

Thanks.
Hi Puny, I wish I could help you out but I'm in the same position myself having expressed an interest with the University of Liverpool for their 'Go Higher' course. I'm not sure what to expect having been out of full-time study for such a long time but I'm also excited at the possibility of flexing my mind again.

Do let us know what happens on your side and I'll update the thread when I hear more.
Reply 2
That actually sounds pretty impressive Cuddly Duddly, good luck and let me/us know how it goes! :smile:

I had three options or possibilities as to where I could go to do highers.

One of them didn't have the course until January 2012.
One of them had a course, but the subjects were way off what I was hoping for.
The other one seems to suit me fine, and as it seems I can do normal highers (maths, English etc) there. Luckily I got an email today saying I could go for an interview next week.

I'm still a little nervous as to if it sound like a good choice to help with qualifications, possible careers etc. Personally I think it's my best way but whenever I bring it up to a careers advisor or such, they seem as though they're wary but can't bare to tell me how stupid I look.
I wasn't expecting to hear back so soon but today I received a letter from the University of Liverpool confirming my interview for the 6th July.

It seems like things are moving forward.
Reply 4
Well I went for my interview at Telford yesterday and looking back, I'm not exactly sure how it went. The man interviewing me one-to-one was great but I'm not sure if he had a little bit of "You're never going to get in but I can't bring myself to say it to your face." about him.

Some of the interview went very well but what with me being so overly-honest sometimes I actually found myself unwittingly putting myself down, saying things like "I know I'm not great but..." or "It's not much to go on". :angry:

I agreed to take 4 Highers with English, History, Modern Studies and an additional of Maths. Four highers isn't too much is it?

Anyways I'll apparently find out in about 10-14 days if I got in/a conditional/rejected which should be around about the time of your interview, looks like it'll be a big time for both of us. Good luck with your interview of course. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending