The Student Room Group

Is Federer really this arrogant?

Scroll to see replies

Ooo modicum of humility...

*writes down*

Actually now that I think about it, the way Federer has his *number of titles+1* jacket pre-made for the final of Wimbledon is really arrogant. If he wins he slips it on, and if he loses he keeps it hidden.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 21
Arguably the best tennis player ever. He can say whatever the **** he wants.
federer is brilliant; he's earned his way to being this way. tbh, if i were him i'd act like a bit of a douche too.
Reply 23
Original post by A level Az
Ooo modicum of humility...

*writes down*

Actually now that I think about it, the way Federer has his *number of titles+1* jacket pre-made for the final of Wimbledon is really arrogant. If he wins he slips it on, and if he loses he keeps it hidden.

What do you expect really?

It's the same for anyone, football clubs winning trophies or promotion and such, they all have "we're going up" banners or something similiar just incase so they can celebrate
Reply 24
He is Roger Federer, who are you?
Reply 25
He's not actually arrogant. Just look at the way he behaves on the court and how he acts outside of it.

Referring to that quote, remember that English is only his third (maybe fourth) language, so what he tries to say sometimes dosnt come across well, or he translates literally from his native tongue. If you listen to him in post match interviews in his native swiss german he sounds very happy but humble, a different meaning is gained vis-à-vis his interviews in english.

We've all had this kind of experience with non-native speakers of other languages.
Original post by Andy Ftw
What do you expect really?

It's the same for anyone, football clubs winning trophies or promotion and such, they all have "we're going up" banners or something similiar just incase so they can celebrate

Well, Nadal doesn't do it, and he won.
Reply 27
Original post by Junaid16
Nadal will eventually overhaul his 17 grand slams, then he'll STFU!

dont you mean 16? :tongue:
Reply 28
Original post by MC armani

'Brace yourself for this Federer quote: "It's always me who's going to dictate play & decide how the outcome is going to be. If I play well I will most likely win in the score or beat [Nadal]; if I'm not playing so well, that's when he wins."'

I think what he was trying to say is that the more aggressive player will dictate the play and ultimately decide the outcome of the match. Naturally, the aggressor will win more winners but also make more unforced errors. If the aggressor maintains a good winner:error ratio - he will win the match. And if you look at the stats, Federer had more winners and errors than Nadal.
When you're the best ever you're allowed to say whatever you want.
but surely the mark of a great champion is the ability to retain a modicum of humility?

I am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was.
-Muhammad Ali

Also

Boxing is a lot of white men watching two black men beat each other up.

Frazier is so ugly that he should donate his face to the US Bureau of Wild Life.

: D

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/muhammad_ali.html#ixzz1OSOk6Str
Original post by raggamuffin93
Well I agree it sounds arrogant but all the top tennis players have to have a very positive mindset when it comes to matches like this - they can't be mentally weak or think they are going to lose. The day before the Murray-Nadal Semifinal Murray was quoted to have said ' I can definitely beat Nadal' but that's just how they are trained to think. A negative attitude just means that as soon as they start losing they lose all hope of a comeback. So in summary yes it sounds arrogant, but maybe it's necessary?

But there's a difference between saying 'I can' and 'I will' - one is presumptuous, the other is optimistic. In the context of those two comments Murray is showing respect for his opponent, but asserting that he has no fear of him. Federer is basically saying that if he loses to Nadal it's only because he played badly and not because Nadal has simply been the better man in many of their games. I agree with OP, Fed has gradually bought into the idea of his own greatness to the point at which he actually believes no one is capable of beating him unless he has a bad day. ****.
Reply 32
Original post by raggamuffin93
Well I agree it sounds arrogant but all the top tennis players have to have a very positive mindset when it comes to matches like this - they can't be mentally weak or think they are going to lose. The day before the Murray-Nadal Semifinal Murray was quoted to have said ' I can definitely beat Nadal' but that's just how they are trained to think. A negative attitude just means that as soon as they start losing they lose all hope of a comeback. So in summary yes it sounds arrogant, but maybe it's necessary?

That's not arrogant tho. He can beat Nadal; he has many times in the past. That's confidence. There's quite a difference between saying that, and saying that "When I'm playing well, nobody can beat me". That's the sort of thing I expect a teenage club player to say, not a former world no.1. He's an ambassador for the game and for that reason he should care how he comes across. You never see Murray, Nadal, Djokovic, Ferrer, Berdych or any of the other top tenners saying this sorta thing. They display confidence in their ability but not arrogance about their superiority.
Reply 33
Original post by Dirac Delta Function
I am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was.
-Muhammad Ali

Also

Boxing is a lot of white men watching two black men beat each other up.

Frazier is so ugly that he should donate his face to the US Bureau of Wild Life.

: D

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/muhammad_ali.html#ixzz1OSOk6Str

That's boxing. They have their contrived verbal battles beforehand just to add to the atmosphere of hostility during the fight. It's part of the sport. Tennis isn't like that though; Opponents don't bash each other before they go onto the court.

Most of the great champions I can think of are incredibly humble. Take Sachin Tendulkar for instance. He doesn't need to praise himself because he lets his batting do the talking. Federer could do the same, so why doesn't he?
Reply 34
Original post by Vanbrugh
He's not actually arrogant. Just look at the way he behaves on the court and how he acts outside of it.

Referring to that quote, remember that English is only his third (maybe fourth) language, so what he tries to say sometimes dosnt come across well, or he translates literally from his native tongue. If you listen to him in post match interviews in his native swiss german he sounds very happy but humble, a different meaning is gained vis-à-vis his interviews in english.

We've all had this kind of experience with non-native speakers of other languages.

He is fluent in English. If it was his third or fourth language he wouldn't say "Come on!" during matches. He knows exactly what he's saying.
Reply 35
I have to say, that as much as I admire his excellent tennis, I've always thought Federer was one of the most arrogant sportsmen I had ever seen. He just reeks of self-satisfaction and entitlement you rarely see in professional sports.

I don't care how many titles you have won, you still look like a knob wearing a white blazer before a tennis match.
Reply 36
Original post by py0alb
I have to say, that as much as I admire his excellent tennis, I've always thought Federer was one of the most arrogant sportsmen I had ever seen. He just reeks of self-satisfaction and entitlement you rarely see in professional sports.

I don't care how many titles you have won, you still look like a knob wearing a white blazer before a tennis match.

I absolutely agree. I admire someone like Sachin Tendulkar who manages to remain humble and down-to-earth much more than Federer. Tendulkar's records are far more superior to his peers than Federer's are to his, and yet he doesn't feel the need to keep telling people that he's the best. In fact he's respected as the humblest man in cricket.
o-kaaay then.

on to a more pressing issue:
i don't like federer with this shorter hair style.

Original post by Solid_Snake7
But there's a difference between saying 'I can' and 'I will' - one is presumptuous, the other is optimistic.

Yes I see your point. What he said does seem incredibly arrogant but surprised me really as he's never come across as arrogant to me before and usually shows great amounts of respect for Nadal and anyone else in interviews. Always been a Federer fan so it's hard for me to admit he's said something arrogant :tongue:

You never see Murray, Nadal, Djokovic, Ferrer, Berdych or any of the other top tenners saying this sorta thing.

As said above I do see the difference, but although Murray doesn't say that kind of thing I have to just add his attitude is one that does remind me of teenage club player. I know a lot will disagree but I find it hard to like him however much I try. Swearing on court on live tv in the French Open Semis and just his mannerisms have always seemed rude to me. Something about him just makes him hard to like, but that's just personal opinion - no disrespect meant to any Murray fans or doubting his tennis skills though!
Reply 39
After losing to Berdych at Wimbledon he said the only reason he lost was that he wasn't 'healthy'. So blaming injuries. Knob.

He has always been like this, not sure why anyone is surprised.

I can only hope whoever taught him English was part of a really harsh practical joke to make him sound unsufferably smug and arrogant. I'd hate to think probably the best player to ever play was actually like that.

Quick Reply

Latest