The Student Room Group

Is Federer really this arrogant?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
No way. Have you seen the guy in interviews? Hes a really nice guy, a great ambassador for the game and a brilliant role model. One of the best of all time IMO
Reply 41
That could easily be something taken out of context, tbf.
Federer may be good, but unlike Raffa- he has no sense of modesty- he is extremely arrogant- which is a shame.
Original post by Alkain1607
Federer may be good, but unlike Raffa- he has no sense of modesty- he is extremely arrogant- which is a shame.

Explain.

Similar quotes could easily be found for Zidane, Muhammad Ali, Tiger Woods and Michael Schumacher. Wanna call them arrogant too?
Reply 44
Original post by MC armani
http://twitter.com/#!/tennisreporters

Matt Cronin, a tennis journalist, tweeted this earlier, apparently from Fed's press conference after the final today:

'Brace yourself for this Federer quote: "It's always me who's going to dictate play & decide how the outcome is going to be. If I play well I will most likely win in the score or beat [Nadal]; if I'm not playing so well, that's when he wins."'

I respect Federer for what he's achieved in the game. He's an amazing player and probably the best of all time as it currently stands. That said, I have noticed quite a few things that Fed says are very arrogant. He has so many fans that most people just turn a blind eye and say things like "oh he's the greatest of all time; he can say what he wants" but surely the mark of a great champion is the ability to retain a modicum of humility?

Anyway what do you guys think about this comment?

How is that arrogant?
Reply 45
Maybe it isn't arrogance, just the absence of false modesty?
Reply 46
Frankly i really wonder why people object to some people being arrogant.

Federer is without a doubt the greatest tennis player to have set foot on this Earth so far, on sunday at age 31 he will very likely break another 2 records and so he has every right to say that he is better than everybody else because there is no evidence to the contrary.

Do people believe that Steven Hawking should not say that he is smarter than everybody else.
Reply 47
Please don't ruin my perception of Roger Federer D: :love:
Reply 48
I think he might have been referring to winning a point rather than beat Nadal comprehensively in a whole match. And it is true, when he is switched on like he was today, he is very hard to beat.

Also, in the quote it does state he said most likely, not most definitely. So he is being fairly modest.
Reply 49
I do think Federer comes across as slightly arogant at times, but you have remember English isn't his first language. But I really don't mind arogance as long as its backed up. I love listening to people like Jose Mourinho, Ali, Brian Clough and Alot of amazing musicians have that arogance

IMO Federer is the greatest player of all time without a doubt. Seems to float around the court like no one else. Nedal is all about power, energy and workrate. I still feel Federer is the best on his day, but for whatever reason theses 'days' are becoming less and less. I think that could be a conbination of age, motivation and the fact the are alot higher class of players then in his younger days(He could play poor for the full Grand Slam, but still win it easilly). I would think he will still win two or three more Grand Slams. I'm just hoping Sunday isn't one of them :biggrin:
Original post by Fallen
Maybe it isn't arrogance, just the absence of false modesty?

:rofl:

+repped
This threads from ages ago, I have faith it was taken out of context, I posted my opinion on the first page. Even it wasn't..meh.
Original post by Dagnabbit
Explain.

Similar quotes could easily be found for Zidane, Muhammad Ali, Tiger Woods and Michael Schumacher. Wanna call them arrogant too?

Explain what? His arrogance- if you want evidence look at post-match interviews. I think the fact that he was number 1 for a long while has gone to his head- I don't think he's the best tennis player around. There are better players up and coming now who were beating Federer during his glory years when he was at the height of his game. There is always someone better. As for arrogance, he is extremely arrogant- and if they've said things like that on a regular basis like Federer then yes- I would. You can look at other tennis players who were considered the best of the best- Sampras for example, but he wasn't arrogant. Nadal isn't arrogant- but then his coach toni always installed the principle of modesty- he kept Nadal grounded- which i fear isn't something that happened for Federer. The final is going to be interesting I'm sure, but Murray is arrogant just like Federer, but then again Murray makes more excuses than Federer does- was it Davydenko who said that they all laugh at his supposed injuries in the locker room?
Original post by Dagnabbit
Explain.

Schumacher is as arrogant as they come. He once gave an interview during the Red Bull Air Race in a race at Interlaken about how great the series is because of how sporting it is. Couldn't stop laughing.
Reply 54
I know this is an old thread...but LMAO at the people who think success is an excuse for arrogance.
Reply 55
What do you want him to say? That he's crap? It is possible for someone to know how good they are, you know. If he were to say "If I play well, winning would still only be down to luck," you'd accuse him of patronisation.

And, if he beats Murray, I'm sure he will be, as ever, a gracious winner.
Difference between confidence and arrogance as well as if all sports athletes were like how a lot of you want them to be then we would be extremely bored, no personalities and interviews would be dull as they come. Also tennis players are all a little arrogant its a individual sport you rely entirely upon yourself. Also arrogance gives you a little bit of a edge over your opponent, cant be sympathetic to the opponent if you want to be the best. All the best athletes had a bit of arrogance Schumacher, Ali, Michael Jordan, Bolt, Woods. Athletes don't play to please the crowd they play to win, you dont like them? tough if their winning then thats all they care about.
Reply 57
That's not arrogance, that is someone who has the utmost confidence in their ability.

People will read those comments as they see fit, nothing to see here.
Reply 58
He's about as arrogant as Wayne Rooney having sex with Cheryl Cole.
What other sportsman would wear a jacket with the number of grand slams he'd won out onto the court, before the match that would actually win him the final one of that number? I think he's a disgrace, and I can't wait until Nadal beats his grand slam record.
Sounds to me like he's saying if he plays well he's gunna win, if not he's gunna lose; the pressure is on him to play well.

Quick Reply

Latest