Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Durham Applicants Thread 2012

Announcements Posted on
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brand New Eyes)
    Your signature :heart:

What made you choose Durham over Warwick D:

When I went to Durham I just got a better feel. Plus, it's more of an adventure, and I'm almost guaranteed to get in (after doing some modules early etc) whereas my Warwick offer needed some STEP...

Are you Warwicking then?
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xero Xenith)

When I went to Durham I just got a better feel. Plus, it's more of an adventure, and I'm almost guaranteed to get in (after doing some modules early etc) whereas my Warwick offer needed some STEP...

Are you Warwicking then?
    I see, I thought STEP might've played a factor.

Oh no, I was just wondering because Warwick's maths department is good. Which college are you heading to for Cambridge?
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NYU2012)
    If you already have an offer, they should be more than accommodating for you to visit the college!.

(Original post by Awoodrow2)
    There you go! Although I could've sworn I recently saw part of the JCR website about visiting, but can't find it now for the life of me.

Thank you both very much! Very helpful.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _becca)
    Thank you both very much! Very helpful.
    Are you going to visit Durham soon!? :eek:
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    Are you going to visit Durham soon!? :eek:
    yaaa I reckon so, not sure when though! I WILL TELL YOU WHEN I AM GOING AND YOU SHOULD COME TOO xx
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _becca)
    yaaa I reckon so, not sure when though! I WILL TELL YOU WHEN I AM GOING AND YOU SHOULD COME TOO xx
    OMG YES! COZ IM THINKING OF GOING SOON TOOO. eeek when abouts?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I see, I thought STEP might've played a factor.

Oh no, I was just wondering because Warwick's maths department is good. Which college are you heading to for Cambridge?
    King's did you do the Oxford? Which college there?

(You're making me paranoid about my choices now, I insured Durham under the assumption that its maths was reasonably close to Warwick's [edit: if you know this to be false please tell me: I can still change it!])
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xero Xenith)
    King's did you do the Oxford? Which college there?

(You're making me paranoid about my choices now, I insured Durham under the assumption that its maths was reasonably close to Warwick's [edit: if you know this to be false please tell me: I can still change it!])
    To be honest, it is false. For Maths, Cambridge, Warwick, Oxford and Imperial are the consensus as the top 4, in no real order after Cambridge. Warwick Maths is really one of its flagship courses. No idea, where Durham Maths ranks, but probably not that much lower, maybe on par with Bristol/Bath. I wouldn't let that sway your decision too much though.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsunami2011)
    To be honest, it is false. For Maths, Cambridge, Warwick, Oxford and Imperial are the consensus as the top 4, in no real order after Cambridge. Warwick Maths is really one of its flagship courses. No idea, where Durham Maths ranks, but probably not that much lower, maybe on par with Bristol/Bath. I wouldn't let that sway your decision too much though.
    I knew about COWI as the top 4 but decided the difference in a) location (Durham :love:) and b) entrance requirements was enough to offset it.

Durham is top 10 - I'd rather be happy at a top 10 place than miserable at a top 4!

The only thing that would change my mind is knowing that there are significantly more opportunities available for Warwick grads than Durham, wrt jobs and postgrad.

(And I'm pretty sure a first from Durham is worth quite a bit more than a 2.1 from Warwick! )

EDIT: Dodgy league tables mk 2013 put Durham above Imperial for Maths, as well as Oxford above Cambridge. All I'm taking from that is that they are broadly comparable.

Oh, and Durham's 5th overall, but you knew that already
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxcartwright)
    I've actually stayed in KCL for a month last year, so i know a bit about it it really all hinges for me on the collegiate experience, if i want to give that up for a bit city thing...

ahhh well maybe if you've lived in london you'd want to leave!! i think coming from a small island its very exciting, but could be overwhelming. i hope you enjoy your visit, i saw trevs when i went up there and it looked really nice. tell me how it goes!! kcl accom is not very nice in my experience, and you'd save loads by staying at home.
    Hey - I went Durham yesterday and I really liked it I think I'm going to firm At first I preferred King's course more, but because I got to meet up with the admissions tutor yesterday (the guy who chose to give me an offer, which felt a bit strange meeting him, but good) he told me in depth about the course/the topics you cover/practicals etc. So, I think I'm gonna go for Durham..the only thing is the scene is very quiet for me as I'm used to London but other than that as people have said there's a lot going on in the college etc. The city is tiny! but lovely And Trevs is a good college What college were you accepted for? Have you decided now?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phenylethylamine_)
    Hey - I went Durham yesterday and I really liked it I think I'm going to firm At first I preferred King's course more, but because I got to meet up with the admissions tutor yesterday (the guy who chose to give me an offer, which felt a bit strange meeting him, but good) he told me in depth about the course/the topics you cover/practicals etc. So, I think I'm gonna go for Durham..the only thing is the scene is very quiet for me as I'm used to London but other than that as people have said there's a lot going on in the college etc. The city is tiny! but lovely And Trevs is a good college What college were you accepted for? Have you decided now?
    Wow that's amazing that you got to meet the guy, I didn't really get to see anything about my dept so maybe that's affecting my choice. I think I'm going to pick kcl, for the course, but I keep changing my mind :s and the deadline is on Wednesday!!!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxcartwright)
    Wow that's amazing that you got to meet the guy, I didn't really get to see anything about my dept so maybe that's affecting my choice. I think I'm going to pick kcl, for the course, but I keep changing my mind :s and the deadline is on Wednesday!!!
    Yeah it was pretty good Ahh I see, hmm, I think you can email the admissions tutor for any qs you have about the course, that's what they told me, email them about any queries and I'm sure they'll reply back quickly. Yeah I know Wednesday is nearing!! I still have to convince my dad to let me go to Durham, he's persisting me to stay in London (Not like he's forcing me or anything, but just need to convince him a bit)
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Economics?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Okay this is kind of a very weird and random question but do you think Durham has any society or something by which you could go on a trip to the United States?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snehame)
    Okay this is kind of a very weird and random question but do you think Durham has any society or something by which you could go on a trip to the United States?
    I would also be interested to know this!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helen.x)
    I would also be interested to know this!
    Some choirs and theatre groups have been on tour to the US but it wouldn't be guaranteed (they probably don't go on tour every year and change where they go) and you'd obviously have to audition to get into the choir/theatre group.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snehame)
    Join a society, get on the exec committee and organise said trip yourself
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know when Freshers start??
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucyy)
    Does anyone know when Freshers start??
    1st October
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Are college fees for catered accommodation the same for every college?

Van Mildert hasn't updated it yet for the 2012/13 academic year but I assume they're the same as others who have updated it?

Also, with the 33 week let do you have to move out at the end of each term? It says you're given storage which implies you need to move your stuff out of the rooms?
Updated: August 7, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.