The Student Room Group

Losing the Psychology... uhh... libido?

Hey guys!

So I'm in year 13, doing Psychology, on track for an A/B and have an offer for a Psychology course at uni... but I'm finding my interest in Psychology kinda withering like a big withering face or something... can faces wither? Anyway, I'm thinking it's definitely too late to change my course cause I'm all prepared and stuff, but I'd reeeally like a career in the film industry cause I'm so interested in the way filming works and stuff.... can anybody help me here please? Can a psychology degree get you a job in film?

Thank youuu in advance! ^_^
Reply 1
A psychology degree gives you a lot of transferable skills, and can help you into a job in many industries.
Original post by Ecosse_14
A psychology degree gives you a lot of transferable skills, and can help you into a job in many industries.

This.

However if you really don't enjoy psychology, you're going to struggle. It can be very "dry" at times, and is a lot of hard work, you have to dedicate hours of your life every single day to the subject and if you hate it, you aren't going to do well.
Reply 3
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
This.

However if you really don't enjoy psychology, you're going to struggle. It can be very "dry" at times, and is a lot of hard work, you have to dedicate hours of your life every single day to the subject and if you hate it, you aren't going to do well.

Well it's not that I hate it as such, its just that I used to be really passionate about it and now it feels like it's getting kinda boring, like when you play on a game too much or something... People do often describe Psychology courses as "dry" but I'm not really sure what that means..?

Also now might be a good time to mention it's applied psychology I'm gonna do...

Original post by Mad Cat Lady
Well it's not that I hate it as such, its just that I used to be really passionate about it and now it feels like it's getting kinda boring, like when you play on a game too much or something... People do often describe Psychology courses as "dry" but I'm not really sure what that means..?

Also now might be a good time to mention it's applied psychology I'm gonna do...

Dry just means there's a lot of pure information which doesn't necessarily lead to any interesting debate or anything (which I assume is one of the things you like about psychology).

I did a module in applied psychology in first semester of second year and it was "okay". I don't think I could personally hack the whole course being like it though.
Reply 5
Dry just means there's a lot of pure information which doesn't necessarily lead to any interesting debate or anything (which I assume is one of the things you like about psychology).

I did a module in applied psychology in first semester of second year and it was "okay". I don't think I could personally hack the whole course being like it though.

So it's like... really uhh... scientific?
So it's like... really uhh... scientific?

Our applied module wasn't, but then again it was only one module, I don't know what they'd put in a full course.

But pure psychology is really scientific yeah, there's so much Biology- one of my friends did A Level bio and said she wouldn't have been able to cope if she hadn't done it.. I was like great how do you think we feel then!!
Reply 7
maybe you could try the first year of the degree course and if you don't like it find another course and transfer?
Hey guys!

So I'm in year 13, doing Psychology, on track for an A/B and have an offer for a Psychology course at uni... but I'm finding my interest in Psychology kinda withering like a big withering face or something... can faces wither? Anyway, I'm thinking it's definitely too late to change my course cause I'm all prepared and stuff, but I'd reeeally like a career in the film industry cause I'm so interested in the way filming works and stuff.... can anybody help me here please? Can a psychology degree get you a job in film?

Thank youuu in advance! ^_^

Your usually allowed to swap courses when your at uni, and if you want to do media or film or something im sure it would be easier to swap from psychology -> film than from film-> psychology so your fine.

P.s. A level psych can bore the tits out of anyone. I mean, the content is interesting for me, i.e. im revising serial killers atm, yet all i have to do is copy out a textbook for essays.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Our applied module wasn't, but then again it was only one module, I don't know what they'd put in a full course.

But pure psychology is really scientific yeah, there's so much Biology- one of my friends did A Level bio and said she wouldn't have been able to cope if she hadn't done it.. I was like great how do you think we feel then!!

Ooooh dear... I don't do biology or any kind of science, I'm really bad at sciences D: Perhaps I am just on track to fail at life really :tongue:

If you don't mind me asking, why did you only do one module?
Ooooh dear... I don't do biology or any kind of science, I'm really bad at sciences D: Perhaps I am just on track to fail at life really :tongue:

If you don't mind me asking, why did you only do one module?

Only one module of applied psych.. we do 6 modules per year altogether.
Original post by hoolymay
maybe you could try the first year of the degree course and if you don't like it find another course and transfer?

Would I then need to spend 4 years at uni?
Original post by iammichealjackson
Your usually allowed to swap courses when your at uni, and if you want to do media or film or something im sure it would be easier to swap from psychology -> film than from film-> psychology so your fine.

P.s. A level psych can bore the tits out of anyone. I mean, the content is interesting for me, i.e. im revising serial killers atm, yet all i have to do is copy out a textbook for essays.

Hmm, you're right but, I'm just a little worried Psychology would look better on a CV than a media course would, is all.... if a psychology degree could get me a career in film, I'd do the psychology degree...

Hmm, you're right but, I'm just a little worried Psychology would look better on a CV than a media course would, is all.... if a psychology degree could get me a career in film, I'd do the psychology degree...

Well you may not enjoy it! Psychology is heavily scientific on most good (pure psychology) courses. If your worried about biology, not all courses concentrate that heavily on it- some like york or oxford have looads of neuroscience whilst others have the minumum that the BPS require in an accredited psych course

A first in film might be better than a lower grade degree in psych ! :smile: Plus you don't want to do something you hate fr 3 years...
(edited 12 years ago)
If Media is what you really want to be doing or where your passion really lies, then you would probably be better off going for it instead of doing Psychology, especially if you aren't a big science fan. I would say that most BPS accredited courses would be science based, and a lot of people are unprepared for how 'scientific' a Psychology degree is. Also whilst Psychology does have a lot of transferable skills, I wouldn't personally associate it with a direct route into Media. It's transferable in so as it is reasonably Maths/English/good all rounder based more so than other degrees, if that makes sense.

Considering that most worthwhile psychology degrees borrow extensively from the neurosciences and statistics, it's probably not the best choice for you, then.

Quick Reply

Latest