The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HandsomeBWonderful
Thanks for your reply! It sounds like you've really stuck through the ups and downs and still love it :smile: I bet you're getting excited about finishing the course now!

The positive stories i'm hearing from people on my work experience placements and where i volunteer, and of people on these forums do seem to be far outweighing the negatives. I suppose it's easy for someone to have a negative experience and then be put off for life - if that happens in the first year and you don't have a massive desire to be a nurse, like the person who posted above, then it's probably easy to throw in the towel. I guess i won't really know how i will feel until i am on the course and start experiencing some of the negative things, and if the positive things are enough to get me through personally - but i probably have a much thicker skin than the other poster on here, and it doesn't tend to bother me much if i work with some uncooperative people along the way, as long as i'm learning from the experience.

Did you have any placements in the first year that you did enjoy?

No..My first year was hard and looking back now it was one big haze. However I was just getting over a bout of depression and a breakdown so when I think back to my first year I don't think on my uni work, but what was going on in personal life.

I enjoyed my last placement on orthopaedics actually. My mentor wasn't the best but I didn't HATE the ward and It gave me some confidence and the staff were nice. Its part of life that you won't get on with everyone really...

Some nurses love to complain and will put you off as much as possible. I've had mentors who're so negative I'm vowing when I'm one I'm never going to be like that. I love the difference I make, the patients, the job, the challenges...AND I love the ups and downs. Afterall whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

There is a 'nursing' culture and I do recognise you have to be a certain 'type' of person to be accepted in nursing. Some doctors refer to us as the 'cult' or 'aliens' as we're so within ourselves sometimes and yes sometimes people who're different find it hard to fit in. Although it's changing- nurses can find it hard accepting people into their little group.

Especially blokes, although i've worked with male nurses who love the job, enthusiastic and aren't simply just wannabe doctors. At the end of the day if you're seen to enjoy the role and want to care and be a nurse- you'd be accepted into the cult :colone:
Reply 21
Anyone attending discover midwifery day on 5th July :smile: ??? xxx
Original post by Subcutaneous
No..My first year was hard and looking back now it was one big haze. However I was just getting over a bout of depression and a breakdown so when I think back to my first year I don't think on my uni work, but what was going on in personal life.

I enjoyed my last placement on orthopaedics actually. My mentor wasn't the best but I didn't HATE the ward and It gave me some confidence and the staff were nice. Its part of life that you won't get on with everyone really...

Some nurses love to complain and will put you off as much as possible. I've had mentors who're so negative I'm vowing when I'm one I'm never going to be like that. I love the difference I make, the patients, the job, the challenges...AND I love the ups and downs. Afterall whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

There is a 'nursing' culture and I do recognise you have to be a certain 'type' of person to be accepted in nursing. Some doctors refer to us as the 'cult' or 'aliens' as we're so within ourselves sometimes and yes sometimes people who're different find it hard to fit in. Although it's changing- nurses can find it hard accepting people into their little group.

Especially blokes, although i've worked with male nurses who love the job, enthusiastic and aren't simply just wannabe doctors. At the end of the day if you're seen to enjoy the role and want to care and be a nurse- you'd be accepted into the cult :colone:

It's funny that there are mentors that want to put you off and complain - they shouldn't be mentoring anybody! But a positive from that is it's made you know how you can do it better one day...

Well, i look forward to joining the cult next year :P if the majority of nurses are as friendly as you and a couple of others on here then i have nothing to worry about with getting on with people - yeah i'll be in the minority being a bloke, but that suits me fine tbh - i work in engineering at the moment with all men, and the over the top banter and frighteningly perverse conversations we have at work are starting to irritate after a year of it every day! Nothing i've seen or read has even remotely put me off becoming a nurse yet, so that can only be a good thing!

So have you started applying for staff nurse jobs yet? Is there a specific area you want to go into?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by cd1x
Yes it is becoming very competitive! The number of places are being cut at most universities and the entrance requirements for nursing courses at two thirds of universities are being raised. I have a conditional offer for Edinburgh napier, after being rejected by another two unis. Stirling told us they had 1700 applicants for approx 350 places! Stirling also lost the right to teach midwifery this year, and all candidates for nursing and midwifery were rejected at last minute.

Selection process at Stirling was a numeracy test, written test and a group scenario. Napier gave me a written test, one to one interview and I had my occupational health check there and then.

Hope this helps!

I have a place at Napier for MH nursing :smile:

To OP, as everyone else has said it's getting harder to get into nursing courses as nursing jobs on the NHS are being cut and uni's are only allowed to 'produce' about as many nurses as there will be jobs, which makes sense really :P
But the selection process for nursing is quite long as they often want individual interviews, group interviews, some uni's ask you to do numeracy tests and write a short essay etc so if you get an interview, it can be quite stressful :P

I think the best way to get onto a nursing course is to have a strong personal statement showing why your interested, some more specifics on a part of nursing you know a bit about and why you would make a good nurse - what personal qualities you have that would relate to nursing :smile: and having experience in some kind of healthcare (voluntary work is a good way to get experience) would really help your application :smile:. Also gives you plenty to talk about at an interview.
I don't think they put as much emphasis on grades as some other courses do as my grades weren't particularly good and I got more offers than I was expecting, obviously having good grades won't do any harm :P

Anyway sorry that was so long - hope it helped a little :smile: and good luck if you decide to apply for midwifery or nursing!
Original post by HandsomeBWonderful
It's funny that there are mentors that want to put you off and complain - they shouldn't be mentoring anybody! But a positive from that is it's made you know how you can do it better one day...

Well, i look forward to joining the cult next year :P if the majority of nurses are as friendly as you and a couple of others on here then i have nothing to worry about with getting on with people - yeah i'll be in the minority being a bloke, but that suits me fine tbh - i work in engineering at the moment with all men, and the over the top banter and frighteningly perverse conversations we have at work are starting to irritate after a year of it every day! Nothing i've seen or read has even remotely put me off becoming a nurse yet, so that can only be a good thing!

So have you started applying for staff nurse jobs yet? Is there a specific area you want to go into?

Yeah Ive had a couple, got a job but turned it down as it was in oxford and I just didn't like the idea of living there at the end of the day.

Hopefully going into neuro/critical care- but happy on any surgical ward for the first 12months
Reply 25
hi
im hoping to apply for medicine for entry 2013, but i was thinking of doing midwifery as my backup
my ps will be very medicine based, so should i not bother, seeing as its quite competitive.
also i cant get any work experience with a midwife, but i got lots of work experience (4 weeks) in 2 different GPs and 2 different hospitals. does this register as 'care' experience as im only shadowing doctors (well mainly anyhow)
any help would be welcomed...
Original post by Falcon 42
hi
im hoping to apply for medicine for entry 2013, but i was thinking of doing midwifery as my backup
my ps will be very medicine based, so should i not bother, seeing as its quite competitive.
also i cant get any work experience with a midwife, but i got lots of work experience (4 weeks) in 2 different GPs and 2 different hospitals. does this register as 'care' experience as im only shadowing doctors (well mainly anyhow)

Midwifery is not a back up choice. Sorry. It won't happen it's extremely competitive I know someone who had the grades and ended up getting rejected by all their uni's reapplying and still being rejected. That experience is useful but you don't know what being a midwife is like (nor do I) but they want that insight for interviews, they will know your just using them as a backup through your PS so will probably chuck your application away.
Reply 27
In my area midwifery is averaging at around 1 place per 20 applicants, there are people who 'use up' all five choices, use extra and clearing year after year without getting in despite good grades and reasonable PS's. Even prospective nurses who make a 'general' personal statements are unlikely to get interviews if they throw in a midwifery choice in for good measure, its a calling and a very specific field :smile: Not something I would ever consider a back up. Having said that, if you do want to become a midwife, studentmidwife.net is the place to go.
Reply 28
Original post by Falcon 42
hi

Definitely don't use midwifery as a back-up. A midwifery personal statement has to be entirely midwifery focused otherwise you have absolutely no chance. Midwifery is extremely competitive. At one university I applied to, there were 15 places and 400 people interviewed.....and remember that WAY more people than that actually applied in the first place but didn't get interviews. That work experience would be sufficient though. But basically, you can't use midwifery as a back-up. Well, you could, but you wouldn't get in. (From a current student midwife)
Falcon 42 I think you should go for it if that's what you really want to do. There seems to be a few people on here that don't want the extra competition especially from an academic like yourself. I'm in the exact same position as you I want to do Pharmacy but with Midwifery as a back up. Maybe do some research and look at the Universities that weigh up Academics more than actual experience etc (I know that all universities look for experience) just look for the universities that think academics are more important. I rang the admissions tutor at Southampton and they take academics very seriously, their requirement is ABB. Hope that helps, wish you all the luck :smile:
Yes and yes again! I applied for Child Nursing last year and am in the process of reapplying again after being very unsuccessful.......

I'm volunteering all over the place and I really hope that helps! At the end of the daya s long as you are motivated and are clear as to why you would make a good Nurse over everybody else you should get there eventually (least that's what I am hoping, anyway!)

From what I have heard from plenty university open days etc, however, is that having a 'backup' nursing or midwifery career choice does not work! They will see through it in the end and you will be in an even worse position, sorry. When you apply, for god's sake I am strongly advising you here, apply for one subject. At the end of the day if you really want to be a Nurse of Midwife it will be clear as your first option.
Reply 31
Original post by NoRegrets :)
Falcon 42 I think you should go for it if that's what you really want to do. There seems to be a few people on here that don't want the extra competition especially from an academic like yourself. I'm in the exact same position as you I want to do Pharmacy but with Midwifery as a back up. Maybe do some research and look at the Universities that weigh up Academics more than actual experience etc (I know that all universities look for experience) just look for the universities that think academics are more important. I rang the admissions tutor at Southampton and they take academics very seriously, their requirement is ABB. Hope that helps, wish you all the luck :smile:

I'm not bothered about "extra competition" because I'm already at university studying midwifery. I am just stating the facts, that midwifery is highly competitive and admissions tutors want you to be most passionate about midwifery, and focused on midwifery, not another subject as well.
I would just think about the possibility of working Christmas day delivering other people's children when your own children may be left at home opening presents without you. This is what made my decision for me :smile:
Reply 33
there is a reason why courses like this have interviews - because it's not just about academics & anyone who tells u otherwise quite obviously doesn't have a clue what they are talking about.. it's also about your character suitability. just because u are academic, it doesn't mean u would make a good midwife! as your previous comment proves NoRegrets. i have top marks in all my subjects, my personal statement is geared towards midwifery, this is all i want to do & yet this is still my third year applying for the course.. you need to be absolutely 100% focused on midwifery - it's nothing whatsoever to do with people not wanting the 'extra competition'. there are hundreds of applicants for minimal places - if you were an admissions tutor for such a competitive course, would you choose someone who would be just as happy doing something else over someone who meets all the entry requirements & is completely dedicated to midwifery? not a chance. there is no way u can make your personal statement accomodate two competitive subjects successfully & if u try to, chances are your application will go straight in the bin for every single one of your choices because it looks like u can't make up your mind as to which u want to do. even if u exceed all the entry requirements, know the role inside out, your personal statement is knockout & u have a cracking interview, doesn't mean u will get an offer by a longshot, because there are dozens of other people like u.
do yourself a favour & stick to what u really want to do - don't use midwifery as a back-up because your whole application will be straight down the pan. good luck :smile:
Actually the whole application wouldn't be down the pan. If her statement was totally Medicine based yeah she probably would get rejected for Midwifery. The universities can't see what else you're applying for so if there was no mention of Midwifery whatsoever in your personal statement she would probably get Medicine offers :smile: whole application down the pan! haha what makes you think academic people don't have relevant work experience? I'm working full-time whilst doing my A-levels and have worked full-time since the age of 15. I'm not a 17 year old with no knowledge of the world (or even an 18 year old for that matter) so don't judge too soon mummy :smile: Thanks for the luck but I already have my offers :biggrin: and if I don't get the grades for my masters I'll apply for Midwifery next year :smile: remember we're all in the same boat, this is a stressful enough time as it is, I just hope everyone gets the places they want :biggrin:
If her statement doesn't mention midwifery at all then it is a complete waste of time applying for it to begin with.

Also nursing and midwifery are not 'back up' subjects, a personal statement has to be specifically tailored for those fields or else it is very likely you won't even be shortlisted for an interview. Nursing and midwifery are the most applied for subjects at universities and every year the application process for these subjects is becoming more rigourous.

Given the planned reduction in intake numbers next year and the criticism directed towards the high dropout rate some universities have experienced I can only see the admissions process getting even more difficult. Folk may have the academics and they may have work-experience but I've seen friends with these by the bucketload get knocked back from nursing because during the interview process they just didn't seem suited to the profession.
At the end of the day it's Nursing and Midwifery! haha who cares. Only there because they can't be medics anyway :smile: lovely back up though :wink:
At the end of the day it's Nursing and Midwifery! haha who cares. Only there because they can't be medics anyway :smile: lovely back up though :wink:

Ah, it comes from beneath its bridge at last.

I would point out the idiocy of your remarks but I don't believe it is really worth it, you are obviously not here to have a rational conversation.

I'm just glad that the actual medical students I've met through the IPE module have a far more reasoned attitude towards the differences between nurses, midwives and medics and an appreciation of what each profession brings to healthcare.
Reply 38
read the comment again NR, it said if you try & accomodate your personal statement to two different subjects your application will be down the pan.. makes no difference whether or not uni's can see your other choices - u cannot cater to two different subjects of this calibre & be successful because they want students who are committed to the course. if there was no mention whatsoever of midwifery in the PS then it would be a complete waste of a choice.. so what would be the point applying in the first place? there isn't one - which is exactly my point.

i also mentioned nothing about experience? i definitely never said anything about academics lacking experience?? again, top marks in all my a level subjects & i do have experience in the field. plenty of it. again, not that it makes much difference - if you're not the right kind of person for midwifery it doesn't matter how much experience u have & with an attitude like that: "haha, who cares. Only there because they can't be medics anyway", i can tell u now i won't be the last person to tell u that will never make a midwife.. in fact, i think your going to make a pretty crappy health professional overall unless u buck your ideas up, which is sad to say.
congrats on the offers & all that, but i was actually wishing falcon good luck seeing as it was their post i was responding to.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 39

Thanks for that...sorry u got so many negs for it...thankfully i got six months to think bout it..

Latest

Trending

Trending