The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE Applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aluu93
ah nice to see another one applying for the same course, so few people seem to apply! wow your grades seem to be great and im sure you'll get an A* prediction with those percentages. My PS is the same as yours - i think i put in too much economics, but lets see!

:smile: good luck, have you sent your ucas yet?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by TheMeister
haha, I didn't do that did I? cringe if I did

hahaha no Martin, don't panic, some kids in my hall when we moved in, definite cringe
Reply 102
Original post by -Illmatic-

Original post by -Illmatic-
Applying for Economics and Economic History...

Why? Because its one of the few unis to offer this type of degree and LSE in general is awesome.

Wicked, I am applying for that course too, best of luck :smile:
Original post by sam838
Wicked, I am applying for that course too, best of luck :smile:

Nice :biggrin:

you too!
Reply 104
I was wondering if you guys think there is any point of me applying to LSE with:

5A*s 5As at GCSE
Taking Maths, Further maths, Economics, Physics (dropped for A2)
AABB at AS
Predicted AAA for A2

To study economics at LSE when they want A*AA :/ I mean i'm positive that i will get A*AA at A2 but ofc they don't know that..
Reply 105
Original post by BiddlyBoo
I was wondering if you guys think there is any point of me applying to LSE with:

5A*s 5As at GCSE
AABB at AS
Predicted AAA for A2

To study economics at LSE when they want A*AA :/ I mean i'm positive that i will get A*AA at A2 but ofc they don't know that..

Doesn't LSE Econ require A*AA?
Reply 106
yep
Reply 107
Original post by BiddlyBoo

5A*s 5As at GCSE
AABB at AS
Predicted AAA for A2

I don't think there's a point.
Reply 108
Economics is THE most competitive course at LSE, I'd be surprised if you weren't rejected by November (if you apply before then...). You have 5 choices, you can choose to risk it or not, but it would be unwise.
Reply 109
Does LSE have a GCSE A* cut off point for Accounting and Finance.
Reply 110
Applying for Maths with Economics =)
I saw someone asking about applying to more than one course so I thought I might share it, as I remember the guy giving a detailed answer at open day. Apologies if I'm repeating information etc.

About applying to more than one course - this is the only time in which the people making the offers see where you have applied to besides the course they're dealing with, as they see all the courses you apply to within one university. So say if you apply to Economics at LSE, and also Government and Economics they will know about it. This doesn't necessarily give you an advantage because firstly it can compromise your personal statement, but even if you've done a personal statement that avoids that, they may think you're more in love with the university than the course. Of course, on the one hand that doesn't seem like a bad thing because it's complimenting the university, but on the other they want people who are truly dedicated to the subject and it may indicate you are indecisive. When deciding whether to make you an offer, I believe the two departments cooperate.

Anyway I hope that's helpful! I'm only applying to one myself but I saw someone asking so I thought I'd share :smile: I should be getting confirmation of my application being received by UCAS in the post any day now! Eeep!
Reply 112
SwF
Reply 113
Original post by Kate992
I am applying for straight economics at LSE with A*A*AA predictions. My As results are as follows:

Maths (C1 100/100 and C2 98/100) I started the A-level in January thats why i took only two modules.

Economics 90/100 and 99/100

Physics C :s-smilie: this is very disappointing given that I took A in all school exams :'(

And I am doing fast track Italian this year where I'm pretty sure i will get an A :biggrin:

Is there any point in applying in LSE ?

PS: I am an international student and I haven't done the GSCE's

could you have not self taught yourself an applied unit for maths? and ur effectively applying with an AC in AS with no gcses or further maths? i highly doubt it
Reply 114
Original post by onlyskin
Hey, I'm going to be starting Politics and Philosophy next month, moving into halls in a couple of days, so if anyone's got any questions about applying or whatever, feel free to ask! Can't believe it's two years since I applied :smile:

I was wondering what grades you applied with to get in at GCSE/A level as I want to apply for the same course
Reply 115
Original post by onlyskin
Hey, I'm going to be starting Politics and Philosophy next month, moving into halls in a couple of days, so if anyone's got any questions about applying or whatever, feel free to ask! Can't believe it's two years since I applied :smile:

yes please, just a rough idea on your A level grades and subjects as well as gcse's and what you generally spoke about on your personal statement
thanks lol
Original post by LW92
I was wondering what grades you applied with to get in at GCSE/A level as I want to apply for the same course

Original post by Laur101
yes please, just a rough idea on your A level grades and subjects as well as gcse's and what you generally spoke about on your personal statement
thanks lol

Right, my GCSEs were 7 A*s and 5 As, I did Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Politics AS Level and got AABB (went up to AAAA with retakes). My offer was AAB and my final A2 grades were A*AB. In my personal statement I wrote about why I wanted to study Pol/Phil, what my particular favourite areas of each subject were, talked about a couple of books I'd read, what I wanted to do with my degree. I also talked about the standard related work experience (shadowing an MP), related extra-curricular and also extra-curricular that had nothing to do with my degree - don't cut this out! LSE seem to like well-rounded people, so if you're particularly sporty/musical/arty/theatrical I think it's just as important to keep all that stuff in, just so you look a bit more...normal?
Hello people, I'm just wondering... given that LSE ask for AS modules in a separate online form if they aren't already entered on your personal statement, does anyone know how this is done? Do they ask everyone who didn't enter the modules? Is there any way to indicate if you got a 79 or something and so just missed out on an A in a module? I've been worrying about this and it's killed my hopes a little bit as I'd forgotten they asked for AS modules :s-smilie: Help from people who've been through the process would be appreciated :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 118
Hello everyone, I'm applying to Actuarial Science at LSE with A*A*A(Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry respectively) prediction.
(edited 12 years ago)
I want to apply for politics and philosophy :smile:
GCSEs: 9A* 1A
Also, A in FSMQ
I am being predicted 39 points for IB (7,6,6 at HL - philosophy, english and history in that order)
Obviously my personal statement etc will be a determining factor, but based on results only, do you think that I have a realistic chance of getting an offer?
I am also applying for PPE courses elsewhere.. do you think that LSE will mind that my personal statement has a bit of economics in it?
Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply

Latest