The Student Room Group

Mr M's Edexcel GCSE Linear 1380 Higher Tier Paper 3 Answers June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1100
Original post by Mr M
probably if you do well on the second paper too

Mr.M, how come in June 2010 marks to get an A* was 176, although it was a hard paper. and the november 2010 paper was easy and the marks to get an A* was 170. This proves to me the harder the paper the higher the grade boundaries, the easier the paper the lower the grade boundaries? :confused::s-smilie:
Original post by nm786
Mr.M, how come in June 2010 marks to get an A* was 176, although it was a hard paper. and the november 2010 paper was easy and the marks to get an A* was 170. This proves to me the harder the paper the higher the grade boundaries, the easier the paper the lower the grade boundaries? :confused::s-smilie:

My grandad smoked 40 cigs a day from the age of 10 until he died at age 108. This proves smoking makes you live longer.
Reply 1102
Original post by Mr M
My grandad smoked 40 cigs a day from the age of 10 until he died at age 108. This proves smoking makes you live longer.

what? so, how are the grade boundaries decided?
Reply 1103
Original post by Mr M
probably if you do well on the second paper too

So what we need to acheive about to get A* if we got 84 on the first paper.
Original post by nm786
what? so, how are the grade boundaries decided?

Just because you found one paper easier than another does not mean that everyone else who took that paper did too. Obviously the majority of people had the opposite experience to you.

All the papers are marked and the examiners look at where the boundaries need to be placed so that a slightly higher percentage attain the higher grades than ever before. This way they can announce that standards have "risen" for 27 years running.
Original post by BossUK

how can i possibly say without seeing the paper?
Reply 1106
hey MR M, just wondering, how do you know whats in the test on friday? just wondering, thansk for the answers btw :smile:
Reply 1107
Original post by BossUK

Original post by BossUK

Probably around 80, but the grade boundaries change every year -- I think most people found this year's paper a lot harder than previous years, and I'd be inclined to say there hasn't been a paper this difficult for at least five years. Therefore, you could probably get away with something lower than 80 even.
Reply 1108
Original post by Mr M
Just because you found one paper easier than another does not mean that everyone else who took that paper did too. Obviously the majority of people had the opposite experience to you.

All the papers are marked and the examiners look at where the boundaries need to be placed so that a slightly higher percentage attain the higher grades than ever before. This way they can announce that standards have "risen" for 27 years running.

oh right. Thanks :smile::hat2:
Reply 1109
Original post by jadzirt
hey MR M, just wondering, how do you know whats in the test on friday? just wondering, thansk for the answers btw :smile:

erm.. he's a maths teacher (i think) and also anyone could predict what will be on the calculator paper, whatever topics weren't on the non-calculator will definitely be in calculator. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1110
Original post by BossUK

depends on the second paper. :biggrin:
Reply 1111
Original post by Mr M

looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

im dunn

lol

u deserve the vote just for that
Reply 1112
Original post by nm786

Original post by nm786
erm.. he's a maths teacher (i think) and also anyone could predict what will be on the calculator paper, whatever topics weren't on the non-calculator will definitely be in calculator. :smile:

i could understand he's a maths teacher, but for the A* topic he predicted certain topics. We were given a book for the linear module for A and A* questions and 32 topics had A* questions, so i cant see how you would predict it.. unless im missing soemthing LOL :smile:
Reply 1113
Hi Mr M,

Appreciate your answers that were provided to us I was wondering through your experience what do you predict the grade boundry for an A in that paper.

Much Appreciated
Mr M, if I know I got 60 on each paper, do you think I can be confident in getting a B?
Original post by wagw
Hi Mr M,

Appreciate your answers that were provided to us I was wondering through your experience what do you predict the grade boundry for an A in that paper.

Much Appreciated

I don't like to guess. Bit lower than usual. 68? I could be two or three marks out.
Reply 1116
ok much appreciated and would i be likely to receive a mark for working eventhough the page is messy with around 4 different working out each one seperate and not neatly set out.

Reply 1117
Original post by wagw
Hi Mr M,

Much Appreciated

I really do tire of people who cant be bothered to look throught the thread for their answer and would rather waste the time of a very generous man.
Reply 1118
Original post by jadzirt
i could understand he's a maths teacher, but for the A* topic he predicted certain topics. We were given a book for the linear module for A and A* questions and 32 topics had A* questions, so i cant see how you would predict it.. unless im missing soemthing LOL :smile:

you could predict certain topics (all topics that requires mostly a calculator):
stratified sample
fx graphs
circle theorams
advanced trig
exchange rates
quad, cubic or linear graphs
probability
trial and improvement.......

u can look at past papers and see topics that have appeared often in them and they will almost certainly come up in the calculator paper. But, then again Mr.M has listed topics that he thinks will come up and some pf them may not, but it's better to revise all the topics that are stated.
Reply 1119
@wagw
The examiners look for certain lines that you have written, no matter how many different types.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending