The Student Room Group

Going into my 3rd Year and being offered £0 tuition fee loan

So I have just gone online to do my returning application, and Im being offered my full Maintenance loan but 0 tuition fee loan, and this is a slight concern.

Let me give you a bit of background info.
I went to start University in 2007 but due to some circumstances at home, I had to drop out. I did stay at one university for one term, but after I was paid my second term loan, i then paid it back, and then was only charged for the first term by said University.

When I went back in 2008, I completed my first year, but unfortunately failed my second, and had to resit. Then last year when I applied I was told that I had used my "reserve year" and that I would have to find my own tuition fee. I successfully appealed this due to having extenuating circumstances during my 2007 year, and that my resit year then became the use of my reserve year.

Now when trying to complete this year it is saying Im entitled to £0 for the Tuition Fee.

Should I just get in contact with Student Finance?
from what i've read they're doing it by the book. You can only have 4 years funding i think and since you dropped out twice you've used up your reserve year. Deffo call them up though! I dropped out of uni twice too but on the second occasion i left after a week so it didn't affect my funding when i was doing my bsc. I'd have got nought in my final year if i had done the msci though. good luck
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
well ive only dropped out once, and I had a problem with Finance last year, where they said the same thing, but then after correspondence they then changed it so that 2010/2011 was my reserve.

Basically as if my first 3 months never happened.

Also as it wasn't fully funded, would I say be entitled to the other half?
There is no partial funding. If you attend for 1 day and drop out they count it as a year. You've had your lot of entitlement I'm afraid.
It is length of course +1 year - years already had which in your case is 3 +1 -5 = -1(!) years entitlement.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Year for CPR isn't counted in the previous study calculation though. Can you please break this down in detail what you done, such as:

2007/2008 - Year 1
2008/2009 - Year 2 withdrawn
2009/2010 - Year 1 (CPR award)

Also the length of the course you're on.
Reply 5
Original post by Taiko
Year for CPR isn't counted in the previous study calculation though. Can you please break this down in detail what you done, such as:

2007/2008 - Year 1
2008/2009 - Year 2 withdrawn
2009/2010 - Year 1 (CPR award)

Also the length of the course you're on.

Ok Im on a 3 year course.
2007/2008 - Year 1, Withdrew after 3 months due to extenuating circumstances
2008/2009 - Year 1
2009/2010 - Year 2
2010/2011 - Year 2 Resit
2011/2012 - Hopeful 3rd Year

Sorry for maybe being silly but don't know what CPR is
Reply 6
CPR = Compelling Personal Reasons, apologies for not making that clear.

From looking at it, you're fine for full support in your final year, so should be assessed for maintenance loan, fee loan, and grants subject to an income assessment. Because you have that repeat year and also the year for compelling personal reasons, you are eligible but it just needs the SFE assessor to do so manually, rather than an automatic assessment which is what you're currently seeing.
Original post by tehcrow
Ok Im on a 3 year course.
2007/2008 - Year 1, Withdrew after 3 months due to extenuating circumstances
2008/2009 - Year 1
2009/2010 - Year 2
2010/2011 - Year 2 Resit
2011/2012 - Hopeful 3rd Year

Sorry for maybe being silly but don't know what CPR is

well if you didn't pay tuition fees in 1st year because you withdrew and they officially recognised it then you should deffo get funding for next year. Have you called student finance yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending